Gear Positions

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Gear Positions  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Fitzy

• P Plates
Gear Positions
« on: December 27, 2005, 05:19:24 pm »
Howdy,

I've just started driving my 66 coupe after getting some work done on it.  This is the first time I have ever driven it (or any mustang for that matter) and am unsure of the difference in the gear positions in my auto (C4).

What is difference between the small dot position just down from N and then the next gear, the bigger green dot?  

As I write this I sense it is a stupid question but better to ask I suppose...so any advise will be appreciated

Cheers

Fitzy

Offline ron

• Worked
Gear Positions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 08:32:15 pm »
On your 67 and later c4's they're Select shifts,1 is low,2 goes from 1st to 2nd and stays there and D goes 1-2-3. On 66's and earlier they're called Cruise-o-Matics.1 is low,2nd position(green dot) is 1-2-3 and small dot (below N) goes 2-3.So in a way it's totally reversed.. sort of.. I think the idea of that was it was more easier for snow driving back in those days.These days it's more better for hi horsepower applications ie better traction if you just go 2-3.
Money is made to be spent.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Gear Positions
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 09:39:03 pm »
As Ron say's. Green dot is the drive slot and the small dot starts in second gear (for snow and ice).
 Dont feel stupid for asking, I was stupid for not asking. Took some time to sort out, but when I did it was the cheapest performance upgrade I ever had.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Fitzy

• P Plates
Gear Positions
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 02:09:08 pm »
thanks guys.  appreciate the advice.  I will be sure to ask more questions in the near future no doubt.

Have a great new year

Fitzy