Ignition barrel turning

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Ignition barrel turning  (Read 2258 times)

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
Ignition barrel turning
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:39:58 pm »
How do I stop my ignition barrel from spinning when I turn the key?

Offline ozford

• Worked
Ignition barrel turning
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 07:48:43 pm »
echo buy a workshop manul:+:w. if the barell is turning then the key that keeps it in place has sheared off. you will hav to get a new barell an keys. dont think super glue will be strong enuf. iirc just use an old falcon set xw xy etc

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
Ignition barrel turning
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 08:47:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply oz :(

Anyone got one?

How do I get it out?

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Ignition barrel turning
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:52:57 am »
Hey Ech!
Check the screw hasn't come loose at the bottom of the bracket, its a small phillips head screw which points upwards just under the key hole.then tighten the retaining nut behind the tumbler mechanism.
Let me know how you go, I am at home today if you get stuck I mite try coaching you through.I can post you my workshop manual and if you happen to have access to a photo copier you can copy what you want and post it back.
Cheers PAull
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline ozford

• Worked
Ignition barrel turning
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 12:19:23 pm »
so which part is actualy spinning the bezel+switch or just the section where the key goes into. if the entire switch spins then use hevens advise.to remove the center bit insert key put a paper clip into the small hole the turn the key anti clockwise then pull. if you are interested i have a old swtch tmbler an key. u2u postal adress and ill send for free

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Ignition barrel turning
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 04:23:19 pm »
Originally posted by ozford
so which part is actualy spinning the bezel+switch or just the section where the key goes into. if the entire switch spins then use hevens advise.to remove the center bit insert key put a paper clip into the small hole the turn the key anti clockwise then pull. if you are interested i have a old swtch tmbler an key. u2u postal adress and ill send for free

Ill give you steak knives!.........and thats not all!
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
Ignition barrel turning
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:39:18 pm »
Thanks for the help on this one guys.

I found the screw that holds the bracket on and it was tight and in place.

So, I got a screw driver and turned the bezel (that is around the barrel) clockwise and guess what?..............No more spinning barrel and key. :(

Stop looking HEVEN.

Then I cranked it over and guess what?..........I big blue spark jumped out of the coil lead :2.......Then whilst continuing to crank the engine the spark has gone :_

After several more times cranking the engine no more spark is to be seen. ;]

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Offline ozford

• Worked
Ignition barrel turning
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 11:24:59 pm »
ok like i said before conect a line direct to the coil from the battery.then crank it over. if theres a spark then circut between the switch an coil is faulty. no spark means the coil is shot.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Ignition barrel turning
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 12:37:51 pm »
IT WONT work, he has some hi falooten fandangle you beaute rippa bonza thingamajig electronic gizzmo IGNITION system.

Offline 68pony

• Worked
Ignition barrel turning
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 03:08:49 pm »
ech maybe your crane hi 6 is playing up or the coil connected to it ,is the coil the lx92 , maybe a good auto electrician is needed,these  bloody cars they sometimes make you want to:_:_:_:_

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
Ignition barrel turning
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 09:25:42 pm »
Chris, its a PS 91 coil.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Ignition barrel turning
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 09:34:07 pm »
I havent forgotten! I just cant find the page, I know I will take a pic of mine!