alternator too small ?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: alternator too small ?  (Read 56205 times)

Offline jezzas

• Thoroughbred
  • prep school mustang student
alternator too small ?
« on: March 31, 2015, 09:04:44 pm »
gday , 66 mustang a code 289 gt  with orginal alternator i think 38 amp ? in rain today lights on wipers on , heat went up but fan didnt kick in , running a spal with a relay , relay has built in 30 amp fuse .no water gets to the wiring .  let car sit , turned back on , temp came down slowly then fan came on ! any guesses ? cheers circuit is being completed by a temp sensor in my top hose coming out of the block , all grounds are good .
no worries easy as  5 minute job baha

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Re: alternator too small ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 01:22:48 am »
You basically need to add up all the AMPs that each component is using. You will find the Spal fan is approximately 25 amps alone leaving 10 for the rest. So indeed 35 amp alternator is not big enough. Find an 65-85 amp unit.

Note: You maybe attempted to look at 100 amp or more - this can be problematic when using a V belt so try for the lower rating - 35 is fine for everything other than the fan hence minimum is a 60 Amp alternator required.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 11:32:10 am »
i would also stick to the stock type alt and not switch to a single wire type.

i would also buy a ford electronic voltage regulator . . you can drill the rivets out of the cover and screw your orig cover on it if you want the orig look.

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 05:14:35 pm »
It really depends what other electrical components you are running the old ford alternator really can not cope with any more extra load such as thermo fans and say an amp. 55amp - 65amp will work I run a 100 amp with no issues.
My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 05:49:34 pm »
i would also stick to the stock type alt and not switch to a single wire type.
Why do you say that barnett468?
I personally think that the local Bosch alternators are a much better option. They are cheap, readily available & in most cases, you can fix them in 5 mins by replacing the regulator/brush assembly. You can get the regs at your local parts store. I fitted one years ago from an XB Falcon (paid $37). Never had a problem & also gained a great spot for my coolant recovery bottle.

Evan.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 08:08:40 pm »
Why do you say that barnett468?
I personally think that the local Bosch alternators are a much better option. They are cheap, readily available & in most cases, you can fix them in 5 mins by replacing the regulator/brush assembly. You can get the regs at your local parts store. I fitted one years ago from an XB Falcon (paid $37). Never had a problem & also gained a great spot for my coolant recovery bottle.

Evan.

I think what barnett468 is saying is that if you want to keep the engine bay looking standard with the regulator mounted in the engine bay, you can fit a regulator into the orginal regulator housing and it will look original.

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 11:24:17 pm »
You can purchase a electronic external regulator that looks the same. Having said that use a later version with the electronic regulator built into the alternator. Some have the regulator on the back and some are internal. Removing the external regulator provides more space for other items.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 07:59:58 am »
I think what barnett468 is saying is that if you want to keep the engine bay looking standard with the regulator mounted in the engine bay, you can fit a regulator into the orginal regulator housing and it will look original.
exactly . . some people buy vintage cars because they like vintage cars, and if they want a car with a single wire alternator, and power windows, and ac that actually works, and brakes that will actually stop it, and a car that is actually reliable and wont over heat, and doesn't smell like exhaust, or gas, or both in the cab, and gets 32 mpg, they would simply buy a lexus.  :lmao:

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:12:56 am by barnett468 »

Offline jezzas

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 08:14:02 am »
Thanks for the info guys yeah its time i upgraded the alt . Now im stuck in pottsville with a leaking fuel pump !++! Yay . I bet the local mechanic aint cheap ! Anyone know anyone down this way ?

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 08:18:48 am »
Thanks for the info guys yeah its time i upgraded the alt . Now im stuck in pottsville with a leaking fuel pump !++! Yay . I bet the local mechanic aint cheap ! Anyone know anyone down this way ?

i would buy an orig style carter brand or similar pump . . i dont trust the generic brand name pumps.
heres the right carter p/n M6588 . . the seller below may have more.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Bronco-Falcon-LTD-Mustang-Windsor-V8-289-302-351-Fuel-Pump-Carter-M6588-/291384028827?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XM6588+FUEL+PUMP.TRS0&_nkw=M6588+FUEL+PUMP&_sacat=0

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:28:07 am by barnett468 »

Offline jezzas

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 08:33:01 am »
Cool thanks . Closest town to here i think is tweed heads so im gonna bum a lift off a local down here and go looking

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 08:40:26 am »
Cool thanks . Closest town to here i think is tweed heads so im gonna bum a lift off a local down here and go looking

ok heres other pumps to look for if they dont have a carter.

1. delphi MF0065 - this is good

2. airtex 4193 - this is marginal

3. spectra SP1069MP - dont even think about it.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 09:23:28 am »
Are you going to change the fuel pump yourself ? ,  are you sure it's the fuel pump leaking ? Most likely the fuel line and not the pump even tho the pumps can leak a little bit and you can still drive the car ,but not if its the fuel line .  Any work shop will have some fuel line and some clamps . It should be 5 1/6 , or 3/8 so get a bit of both .  If you need the pump ,bursons are in machinery dr south tweed heads , maybe a global auto spares or even a cheaper auto spares in same area .

Offline jezzas

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 09:37:09 am »
Yeah i found a pump at bursons . Yeah its not the fuel line . Theres fuel on the pump above where the line attatches so im thinking the diarpgram is buggered and the releif hole is letting fuel out. Its only a small drip when i start it but might be too dangerous to drive back to gold coast from here . Bursons can drop the pump at the mexhanics here but mechanic said hes too busy so im stuck

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 09:45:21 am »
Yeah i found a pump at bursons . Yeah its not the fuel line . Theres fuel on the pump above where the line attatches so im thinking the diarpgram is buggered and the releif hole is letting fuel out. Its only a small drip when i start it but might be too dangerous to drive back to gold coast from here . Bursons can drop the pump at the mexhanics here but mechanic said hes too busy so im stuck

which pump was it?

how much was it?

Yeah, do NOT even think about driving the car for a dozen reasons.

if you have a socket set and a screw driver and can change a spark plug, you can change the fuel pump . . someone here will tell you exactly how to do it if you want . . it will take around 20 minutes . . it only has 2 bolts and 2 hoses.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:48:45 am by barnett468 »

Offline jezzas

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 09:55:16 am »
Yeah might be you tube video mechanic lessons haha cant be that hard! Famous last words lol . Any advice on putting it in very appreciated . Small towns r only cool in the movies thanks pottsville....

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 09:59:51 am »
It's a easy job and we can talk you through it .  Need a screw driver flat blade , and a 9 /16  ring / open  end spanner , might be a 1/2 inch .

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 10:19:25 am »
Yeah might be you tube video mechanic lessons haha cant be that hard! Famous last words lol . Any advice on putting it in very appreciated . Small towns r only cool in the movies thanks pottsville....

Heres one method.

As you face the engine, follow the spark plug wire from the front left cylinder to the distributor cap.

Put a felt pen mark on the distributor body right in line with the wire in the cap.

Use a short screw driver to connect the big front post on the starter solenoid to the small single wire post right next to it . . this will turn the engine over . . turn it over until the tip of the distributor rotor is lined up with the felt pen mark on the distributor body . . just quickly touch the two posts together if you only need a little movement.

if you have power steering, the following is easiest to do from the bottom.

Get a piece of masking tape or a 5/16” bolt that is around 1” long.

remove the rubber hose from the pump that comes from the tank.

Insert bolt in hose or lift end of hose up and tape it to the firewall .  . this is to keep any gas from coming out.

Remove the fuel line on the pump that goes to the carb . . it will drain for around 1 second.

Use a short 3/8 inch drive 9/16 inch or 14 mm socket and a 4 – 8 inch long extension.

Remove both bolts.

If it the pump is stuck simply whack it and pull it straight out.

Clean gasket off engine with single sided razor blade or single sided wood chisel.

Clean engine and fuel pump mounting surface with contact cleaner or lacquer thinner or alcohol.

Put a thin layer [around 1 mm] of black silicone on the block and pump. . if you don’t have that use contact cement or aviation sealer.

Install gasket on pump.

Install pump by pushing it straight into place . . do not tilt it up or down.

Install bolts etc.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:26:08 am by barnett468 »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 10:28:02 am »
It's all yours Mike I'm going out now ..ps 14 mm what is that sort of talk ,I don't under stand  :grin: .

Offline jezzas

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 10:31:18 am »
Thanks guys i managed to get a lift to tweed to get the pump will keep yas updated .

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 10:35:53 am »
It's all yours Mike I'm going out now...
you're just too lazy to type.  :lol:

ps 14 mm what is that sort of talk ,I don't under stand  :grin: .
It is the size of a...wait for it.....cold, tasty, Fosters Lager shooter.

OMG barn...more weak fosters jokes...he's gonna kill ya.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:38:03 am by barnett468 »

Offline 69ISH

• Worked
  • Name: Rodney
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 10:40:32 am »
Thanks guys i managed to get a lift to tweed to get the pump will keep yas updated .
If you get stuck give me a call on 0437433665 and I will come down and change it but I have a job to do first at harbourtown which will take me about 1.5 hours
1969 Mustang Sportsroof (8+ year Project are they ever completed)
1969 Cougar Eliminator (Sadly sold)
1972 Gran Torino Sport (Sold)
1968 Mustang Coupe (Sold)
Read about "Eliminators" below
http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/

Offline jezzas

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 07:08:07 pm »
Bloody legend Rod . Big bottle of goodness coming your way .

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 07:17:50 pm »
Sorry I could not make it down with Rodney today but by the time he was leaving I had to help with a muscle car display at harbour town shopping center .  But all good now and fixed   :thumb: .

Offline 69ISH

• Worked
  • Name: Rodney
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 08:18:03 pm »
Bloody legend Rod . Big bottle of goodness coming your way .
Your welcome,
Will catch up over the next few weeks hopefully bring my stang along to show you.
Cheers Rodney
1969 Mustang Sportsroof (8+ year Project are they ever completed)
1969 Cougar Eliminator (Sadly sold)
1972 Gran Torino Sport (Sold)
1968 Mustang Coupe (Sold)
Read about "Eliminators" below
http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/