opinions please - 66 NON GT K-code fastback

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: opinions please - 66 NON GT K-code fastback  (Read 5718 times)

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
« on: December 28, 2007, 07:22:52 pm »
g'day boys - got a question for y'all.  i've landed a partially-restored NON-GT K-code 4-speed fastback.  originally nightmist blue, its now a crimson-red and needs a colour-sand to bring the body up to snuff.  the interior is mostly done.  the engine bay has been done but the engine needs some minor head work to be mickey-mouse (it was sitting for years)

here's the question - as a non-GT K-fastback, its a rare car.  but as a non-GT, it has drums not disks.  that's right - when did you last hear of a K-code with drums?  anyway- i'm debating whether to turn it into a shelby clone (with RRS coilover/disks at the front) or a GT clone.  now as a GT clone, it has all the important GT bits (floorpan and frame-rail supports).  i can easily add the GT foglights and correctly wire them.  i can also add front disks, do the fender badges, rocker-panel stripes, etc etc etc.  the car already has a factory 9" as its a K-car (not that this is a GT feature btw but i thought i'd mention it).  it has a red pony interior.

what would you do?
1. keep it stock as a non-GT k-fastback (and this would imply returning it to nightmist blue)
2. add the GT bits and keep it red (a sand, and a couple of coats of candyapple +clear would do the trick)
3. turn it into a shelby-clone (which would imply changing the interior to standard black (expensive), getting a tach, shelby-hood, stripes, delete all badges etc etc.  not cheap.

opinions please.  its a very solid CA car and needs a good direction for the final touches to make it a keeper.
BrianE :o

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 07:35:07 pm »
A K-code is already something special so why would you want to turn it into a fake something else? If you turned it into a Shelby clone, it will always be known as a clone & will lose it's real identity as a K-code.

My 2 cents.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 11:47:49 pm »
Brian I have to agree with the others, dont mess with it.
This isnt the first time you have hinted at a Shelby clone so it sounds like you want something to play with???
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 12:03:15 am »
Originally posted by nassi
This isnt the first time you have hinted at a Shelby clone so it sounds like you want something to play with???
nassi

mate what i'd really REALLY like to do as i mentioned in a previous post is a 67/8 T-code restomod with the drivetrain out of an F6 Typhoon and a full Stage III RRS front-end.  show car paint, detailed undercarriage and engine bay - the works.  One day...

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 12:54:07 am »
Originally posted by mistermustang
nassi

mate what i'd really REALLY like to do as i mentioned in a previous post is a 67/8 T-code restomod with the drivetrain out of an F6 Typhoon and a full Stage III RRS front-end.  show car paint, detailed undercarriage and engine bay - the works.  One day...

If those are your plans, you might as well buy a brand new shell & start from scratch.

Evan.

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 02:15:58 am »
Originally posted by ev
nassi

If those are your plans, you might as well buy a brand new shell & start from scratch.

Evan.

this option is not all its cracked up to be.  the upside of course is a 100% new and improved shell.  the downside is all the 'other' stuff you'll need eg. hardware, lines, all the odds and sods, all the wiring and the list goes on.  guess i'll just keep dreaming.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 07:23:27 am »
Since opinions are called for, I would keep it as is except for a disc brake conversion, using only mustang parts, not adapted modern parts. Sounds like a beastie with potential to shine.
Cheers, Ron B

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 08:57:56 am »
Originally posted by ev
nassi

Evan.

this option is not all its cracked up to be.  the upside of course is a 100% new and improved shell.  the downside is all the 'other' stuff you'll need eg. hardware, lines, all the odds and sods, all the wiring and the list goes on.  guess i'll just keep dreaming.

Yes its very expensive, the Muscle Car Factory option starts at $70K + GST but gives no suspension upgrades and runs a 302 crate motor, and the RRS option is more expensive and has no running gear (when I called they were yet to finalise a price). But its still an option.

nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100