Engine coming out !

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Engine coming out !  (Read 51373 times)

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Re: Engine coming out !
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 02:30:07 pm »
Oh forgot the engine coming out, I just have to swear at mine and it comes out by itself!
Luvhev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 02:36:09 pm »
Aussie beer is the best and Cisk is second.

I got a case of Cisk last month...had to take penicillin for 2 weeks to get rid of it.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 02:39:35 pm »
Oh forgot the engine coming out, I just have to swear at mine and it comes out by itself!
Luvhev

Please stick to the topic...this is a beer thread.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 02:58:23 pm »
Absolutely............
luvhev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline Ford Compact 1963

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 11:38:37 pm »
Back on topic !!! 😃

Ok engine is coming out will be speaking to a members brother next week.

Engine will bee taken out by us over Easter wish me luck, if forum member can't do it onsite..crane not bought just yet ... Is a load balancer required?

Cheers

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2015, 03:18:01 am »
i would rent or borrow one . . a high quality crane is big bucks . . either way, when you check one out, measure from your front bumper to the center of the intake manifold then with the crane arm down around 45 degrees from horizontal measure from the inside of the crane upright post to the chain . . this distance must be at least the same as the bumper to center of intake.

if you do every step i posted in exact order it will be easy . .  no balancer is required, however, when the crane arm is horizontal the chain must be at least 400 mm rearward of the center of the wheels otherwise it will possibly tip over . . this might displease you and create a need for several cold, tasty, foster lagers . the best beer in australia...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:28:33 am by barnett468 »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2015, 05:36:32 am »
Back on topic !!! 😃

Ok engine is coming out will be speaking to a members brother next week.

Engine will bee taken out by us over Easter wish me luck, if forum member can't do it onsite..crane not bought just yet ... Is a load balancer required?

Cheers

The cranes from Supercheap are fine I've had one for years, was about $200, Load lever is not a bad Idea but I've never used one in 30 years, the gear box will be heavy I think those old 2 speed fordomatic may be iron.

Offline thruster

• Worked
  • Name: John.
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 06:30:30 am »
Where in NSW do you live as some one here might be able to lend you a crane ?

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2015, 09:09:42 am »
As I said earlier, if you are pulling the engine and trans as a single unit you will need a load leveller. If you lift it with a plate on the manifold I guess the weight of the trans will tilt it the way you want but you're much better off being able to control the tilt.

If you don't want to get a load leveller I think you'd be better off taking the trans out first. This can be done with a trolley jack and another pair of hands but it will be heavy.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2015, 09:28:50 am »
I normally just bolt chain diagonally across the heads. Lift the rear of the car to improve angle.

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2015, 09:54:56 am »
Hi guys thanks very much for tips this could be a challenge located in inner west Sydney

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2015, 10:03:20 am »
Coopers is a good drop, if you don't mind a cloudy ale. They are big i n the home brew market here.

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 10:05:22 am »
Coopers is a good drop, if you don't mind a cloudy ale. They are big i n the home brew market here.

Stop it Ron haha

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2015, 10:08:48 am »
What? I like Coopers on tap, and I home brew it, too! Takes your mind off having to remove your engine.

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2015, 10:09:49 am »
What? I like Coopers on tap, and I home brew it, too! Takes your mind off having to remove your engine.

:grin:

Offline thruster

• Worked
  • Name: John.
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2015, 09:44:12 pm »
Hi guys thanks very much for tips this could be a challenge located in inner west Sydney

I used old seat belts when I took out engines the adjust ability was very convenient , Are you anywhere near Penrith ?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:46:06 pm by thruster »

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 09:03:17 pm »
Thruster inner west engine coming out over Easter really hoping i can do it with my dad

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 08:56:44 am »
Engine will come out with trans left in car and I thought the car can be towed to trans place and they can remove and refit ? this changes procedure a lot yes ?

So unsure of exactly what route to take

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 09:13:03 am »
That makes it simpler to get the engine out but I don't think I'd bother with the expense of getting the car towed. Getting the trans in and out is pretty straightforward and frankly it's a lot easier to re-install the engine without the trans in the car. Trying to line up the convertor to the flexplate with the engine dangling on a crane and the trans hard mounted in the car is trickier in my view than re-attaching the trans once the engine is sitting on it's mounts.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 09:14:12 am »
Engine will come out with trans left in car and I thought the car can be towed to trans place and they can remove and refit ? this changes procedure a lot yes ?

So unsure of exactly what route to take

read post 3 . . it is around 2 weeks and 39 posts ago.

also, before lowering trans, put some wire thru the upper trans holes then thru the holes in the cowl where the strut rod braces bolt  too . . this will hold the trans in place.

you may be able to buy a trans tail shaft plug at a parts store so the tranny oil doesn't drip out.

it takes 15 minutes to remove the trans once the engine is out . . two guys can lift it.

are you building a high hp engine? . . if so, you need trans upgrades.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:19:36 am by barnett468 »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2015, 09:29:24 am »
No once engine is out its easy  to take the box out .  Tail shaft out and rap the rear uni in tape so the caps don't fall off ,jack under  gear box pan on a flat piece of timber ,take out cross member ,disconnect speedo cable and gear linkage etc .  Get a old tyre to sit engine on ,engine goes around sump to stop it rolling over when  taking it to work shop .  Go buy a trans bung for rear of auto (cheap ) to stop trans fluid spilling . You will spill trans fluid from converter so be ready for that .  If you remove the converter from box oil will come out of box if tilted down ,other wise hold converter on and tape it on from bell housing . You will need 4 longer bolts same as bell housing bolts but long enough to go through engine stand and then into block .  Only use car stands not bricks etc .

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2015, 09:37:19 am »
No once engine is out its easy  to take the box out .  Tail shaft out and rap the rear uni in tape so the caps don't fall off ,jack under  gear box pan on a flat piece of timber ,take out cross member ,disconnect speedo cable and gear linkage etc .  Get a old tyre to sit engine on ,engine goes around sump to stop it rolling over when  taking it to work shop .  Go buy a trans bung for rear of auto (cheap ) to stop trans fluid spilling . You will spill trans fluid from converter so be ready for that .  If you remove the converter from box oil will come out of box if tilted down ,other wise hold converter on and tape it on from bell housing . You will need 4 longer bolts same as bell housing bolts but long enough to go through engine stand and then into block .  Only use car stands not bricks etc .

Cheers all and Glenn this is approach I'll be taking engine out 1st then box later.
Does the belhousing stay attached to engine when out ?

I assume engine is only held in by engine mounts and belhousing to box bolts

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2015, 09:43:57 am »
Cheers all and Glenn this is approach I'll be taking engine out 1st then box later.
Does the belhousing stay attached to engine when out ?

I assume engine is only held in by engine mounts and belhousing to box bolts

all that info is in the post below.

read post 3 . . it is around 2 weeks and 39 posts ago.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:02:55 am by barnett468 »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2015, 09:51:50 am »
No again ,bell housing stays on box .  When everything is unbolted ,engine mounts ,bell housing bolts ,converter bolts and all the other things it will start to come out once hooked up the crane ,you will most likely need to put a large flat blade screwdriver between engine block and bell housing to help separate them .   It's a shame you don't know Anyone that knows what they are doing to help you ,I would but I live to far away .

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2015, 09:55:38 am »
Yep, engine mounts and block to bellhousing is what holds the engine in place. Once the trans is out the engine will tend to tilt backwards. Jam a bit of wood between the sump and the engine crossmember to limit this.

Not sure about your two speed but most auto trans the bell is only removable from the trans itself from inside the bell, ie has to be out of the car to do this. Whatever the case with your two speed, just remove the trans and bell all in one, making sure the converter stays on the trans as Glenn advises. You can drain the converter itself before you start. There's a plug for this purpose accessible by removing the inspection plate and rotating the engine the same as accessing the converter to flexplate bolts.