shipping

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: shipping  (Read 10778 times)

Offline pala

• Worked
shipping
« on: December 20, 2007, 04:19:18 pm »
Hi Can someone break down all the costs involve in importing a 66 mustang from the US

Offline Forder

• Worked
shipping
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 05:17:34 pm »
Hi Pala,
I am expecting my 65 mustang any day and I will detail the total cost when it arrives.
MUSTANG664

Offline pala

• Worked
shipping
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 08:38:52 pm »
thankyou

Offline MustangMuscle

• Stallion
shipping
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 12:30:53 am »
My mustang that I have just bought is about to start its trip towards Australia. The biggest single cost I have/will encounter is the GST, which is 10% of the cost of the vehicle plus the cost of shipping it here. I did a lot of shopping around looking for the best service at a reasonable price and it seems everyone charges different amounts for each of the various costs. Send me a private message if you want to know my exact costs.

Offline victorypark

• Worked
shipping
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 07:55:08 pm »
Hi there Mustang Muscle, not sure if you will mind but there are quite a few of us looking at the possibility of importing a stang and would love it if you could post in the open forum the breakdown of expenses thus far.

In fact if anyone would like to share their costs/positives and negatives of bringing a vehicle over (more likely an over 30 y.o. Mustang) from the States, I for one would greatly appreciate it and no doubt the rest of the forum would too.

Many thanks......:(

Offline usa289

• Worked
shipping
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 09:00:44 pm »
My quick calculation of a ball park figure is:

Purchase price $20,000US ($22,000A if AU$ is 90c)
Freight $3,500A (includes all customs/shipping/clearance/etc. This also varies on whether a fast/slow boat is used. Tip: Go for a fast boat!))
Insurance $250A
Cost $23,750A

GST $2,375A payable on above
DOTAR fee $50A (Import Approval)

Total $26,175A

Plus allow for any incidentals (transport to/from shipper)
Plus allow for RWC, Stamp Duty and Rego (all depending on State) to get teh car on the road here...

Have I forgotten anything?????/

USA289
[align=center]
USA289
[/align]

Offline usa289

• Worked
shipping
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 09:08:54 pm »
Ooops ... too many sherberts ....  a revised quick calculation of a ball park figure is:

Purchase price $20,000US ($22,000A if AU$ is 90c)
Freight $3,500A (includes all customs/shipping/clearance/etc. This also varies on whether a fast/slow boat is used. Tip: Go for a fast boat!))
Insurance $250A
Cost $25,750A

GST $2,575A payable on above
DOTAR fee $50A (Import Approval)

Total $28,375A

Plus allow for any incidentals (transport to/from shipper)
Plus allow for RWC, Stamp Duty and Rego (all depending on State) to get teh car on the road here...

No responsibility taken for incorrect figures when slabs of VB are $32 each ..:2

Now, have I forgotten anything?????

USA289
[align=center]
USA289
[/align]

Offline 66dreama

• Worked
shipping
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 10:02:43 pm »
that looks pretty right for what Ive just been through
I bought cheaper so duties were less but only minimal
another thought I loaded my car with as many parts as I could think of they are a fair bit cheaper in the states and no freight to pay just have to get them loaded at the other end
if your doing a resto as I am you can save big:(

Offline MustangMuscle

• Stallion
shipping
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 01:12:59 am »
I looked at a LOT of options and as such don't want to write them all up but am happy to discuss over the phone. However what I have chosen to do is the following.

Total cost of car (including AU$50 worth of transaction charges). AU$44,000
Closed Truck transport from the East coast of America to LA AU$2300
All shipping costs AU$3300
GST AU$4960

making a total of AU$54,560.

I will point out that this is no automatic C-code. Its an immaculate un-restored, numbers matching, fully documented history, manual, GT K-code. I only wanted the best service and as such was willing to pay more. It is also fully insured for every step of its journey here.

Offline pala

• Worked
shipping
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 10:24:30 pm »
what syour phone number, send it to my U2U:=

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
shipping
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 08:35:20 am »
usa289.. I believe the GST is only payable on the cost of the car and the freight., the total cost of getting the car from the states to Oz, is not the freight cost..it is the cost of loading the container, AQIS charges, Customs clearances. Import approval if the company you use does it for you.. When i brought mine in, the freight charge was a total $1700 AU. I am in the import/export business, and  get people enquiring daily about bringing cars in now,, must have something to do with the stong$$$  Happy holidays to all on here...:+

Offline MustangMuscle

• Stallion
shipping
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 12:40:49 pm »
Already did Pala, check if you got it? (I seem to be having problems with the U2U)

Offline Forder

• Worked
shipping
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 06:57:59 pm »
Hi all,
My 65 coupe arrived today.
Here is my break down of cost.
$50 import application.
$3250 shipping and landed in Newcastle NSW.
$725 Fees Customs, Quarantine and GST.
This was on a purchase price of $800 USD for the car and $1400 USD on new parts.  
I know all of you are saying $800 but yes I am VERY happy with it BUT its a 6cyl rust free.  MY CONTACT LOOKED FOR OVER 1yr for the car.  I know I got a bargin with the car.

Offline pala

• Worked
shipping
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 12:05:36 am »
got your phone number, will call after the break

Offline victorypark

• Worked
shipping
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 05:41:49 pm »
Nice work Mustang664 congrats and well done on your purchase.  If you look on ebay even as I post, there are always pages and pages of stang's for sale in varying condition.  

For me personally, I am just after a nice daily cruiser as my main car.  For other trips we can use the finance minister's car (g/f's).

Ideally I am looking to spend between $8,000 to around $12,000 give or take and having read through many ads reckon I could land a decent one without stretching the budget after taking into account the added expenses.  Thinking about engaging the services of the business that specifically selects the car for you, just for peace of mind.

Great thread thus far peeps, keep the stories coming in.

Offline pumped

• Stallion
    • www.leapoffaith.com.au
  • Name: Tony.
shipping
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 01:23:07 pm »
Hi Guys,

I am bringing a Mach 1 in and it is arriving Mid Feb. I have never done this before and am trying to work out the customs clearance side of things. The freight company have provided a clearance agent and he has given me an estimate of $1000-$1200 for his services. They arrange the import approval and do everything up to my picking the car up from their depot. [not including the GST which on my car will be about another $3k]

This seems a little dear to me. I have noticed info on this thread about freight and customs togeather but couldn't find specifics on the customs side. Could someone please get me a breakdown of these coasts. eg; Fumigation, customs inspections, craning out of the containers ect.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes Tony.

Offline Red71

• Thoroughbred
shipping
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 02:50:18 pm »
Originally posted by pumped
Hi Guys,

I am bringing a Mach 1 in and it is arriving Mid Feb. I have never done this before and am trying to work out the customs clearance side of things. The freight company have provided a clearance agent and he has given me an estimate of $1000-$1200 for his services. They arrange the import approval and do everything up to my picking the car up from their depot. [not including the GST which on my car will be about another $3k]

This seems a little dear to me. I have noticed info on this thread about freight and customs togeather but couldn't find specifics on the customs side. Could someone please get me a breakdown of these coasts. eg; Fumigation, customs inspections, craning out of the containers ect.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes Tony.

Hi Tony. My car arrived in November last year and the clearance company charged me the following:

Breakdown of Charges

Ø       Portion of port handling/terminal charges – AU$255.00 plus 10% GST

Ø       Arranging customs clearance, portion of cartage of the container, unloading into bonded store, portion of the dehire of the container and administrative costs associated with the process – AU$715.00 plus 10% GST

Ø       Australian Quarantine Inspection Fee – AU$275.00 plus 10% GST

Peter

Offline pumped

• Stallion
    • www.leapoffaith.com.au
shipping
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 07:10:36 pm »
Thanks so much for the information Peter. Seems like perhaps the fees I am being charged are not that high after all.

Offline Qldmustang

• Stallion
shipping
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 01:36:10 pm »
Hi all,
       My first Mustang arrives in Cairns Qld on Tuesday (fingers crossed) and mine costs were pretty much what was listed above.
Somethings you may want to add to the costs above are listed below.

L02 compliance plate $1200 (this can change from different suppliers)
ReGas of A/C - $100 at a guess
Roadworhty / Safety Certificate $55 - $100 pending if the mechanic has to come to the car or not
Third party insurance $270 1 year aprox - You have to have this before registering your car
Rego $570 1 year aprox. Thats for a V8
Then you full comp insurance if you want it (I allways have this)

Hope this helps.
Also if I have quoted anything wrong let me know as I am new to this.
;{

Offline pumped

• Stallion
    • www.leapoffaith.com.au
shipping
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 09:42:36 am »
Thanks Qldmustang. All this info is helping greatly. Such a confusing process at first.

Offline Qldmustang

• Stallion
shipping
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 04:17:51 pm »
Ouch,
        Something else you have to consider. I went in and paid the Rego and stamp duty on my car today. All I can say is ouch as stamp duty is now 4% for V8's and Rego has increased as well. I was slugged $2231 for the both. That hurt as I was not aware it had jumped from 2% to 4%. My question is what do we get from from the increase or was this to fund Johny Howard his superannuation. :_:_:_
Sorry my spit at our governement. They get 10% then another 4%.

Cheers
Disgruntled Qld'er

PS. My car is now registered and on the road. I am lovin that. Pitty I can't afford A/C now and thats hard living in the tropics.

Offline 777fordv8

• Pony
shipping
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 04:56:33 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good importer, as I also want to import mustang, Big Block I hope.

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
shipping
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 05:56:24 pm »
777Fordv8. Try American Hemi, based in Adelaide, great service,at a reasonable price,, where are you shipping out of in the USA??
www.hemi.com.au

Offline 68cobrajet

• Pony
shipping
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 04:47:27 pm »
OK This is what I went through.
Purchased car in October will be getting it tomorrow.
costs; Schumacher cargo Logistics
shipping $3420 inclusive LA to Melb
(pickup and insurances etc)
Terminal handling           $205.00
Freight forwarding in Oz $ 550.00
Quarintine inspection     $ 400.00
NO DUTY COST
GST @ 10%
Customs charges            $ 60.75
Now I will have to pay all the rego charges etc
Any questions feel free to ask.
1967     GT   Fastback  S code
1968.5  GT     Fastback  R code

Offline 777fordv8

• Pony
shipping
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 07:40:07 pm »
Brett-T, Hopefully once I find my dream Stang, I would ship from the West coast of America. Thanks for the info.