Thermofan wiring

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Thermofan wiring  (Read 9678 times)

Offline Moff9

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Thermofan wiring
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:20:53 pm »
Hi,
I just purchased a thermofan and when I asked about getting a controller to turn the fan on/off at a set temp the guy said all I need is a Tildon thermo switch (part #TFS106) which mounts in the thermostat housing and will switch the fan on at 90C and then off again at 85C. However it is a M14 metric thread and the only 289/302W thermostats I've seen with threaded plugs are off air-con cars and the fitting is 5/8ths. Does anyone know how you can use such a thermo switch or advise any other methods?
Thanks,
Peter

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Gonads
Re: Thermofan wiring
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:33:30 pm »
You could buy a Davies Craig thermo switch from Bursons for around $65. These thermo switches have a probe that goes into the top radiator hose and are pretty simple to hook up. I've just put one in on my Mustang and also have one in my Torana, they are very reliable. The range is adjustable on them and you can set them from 40-100C.

Here's one on ebay for around $65 delivered.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/321345729168?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps

Offline Moff9

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:47:19 pm »
You could buy a Davies Craig thermo switch from Bursons for around $65. These thermo switches have a probe that goes into the top radiator hose and are pretty simple to hook up. I've just put one in on my Mustang and also have one in my Torana, they are very reliable. The range is adjustable on them and you can set them from 40-100C.

Here's one on ebay for around $65 delivered.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/321345729168?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps

Thanks for the reply Speed Demon, I had one of those on my first Mustang and it always leaked from where the probe wire goes under the hose and the place where I bought the thermofan said they don't use those ones for that same reason. I'm really interested to see how the switch they recommended can be fitted and I'm hoping someone on here has used one of them.

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:13:14 am »
That's odd. I just fitted one to my Mustang as I said and I don't have any leaks from where the probe goes in. You also get a rubber insert to put into the radiator hose that helps seal the pipe. I tried to put it in but it was a pain in the you know what so I didnt bother. Lucky for me it sealed off.

Good luck with it.  :thumb:

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:35:53 am »
I fitted a Davies Craig 2 years ago and it came with the adjustable Thermo switch and it has never leaked a drop.
Very happy with it.

You can also use one of these.
Just cut the top radiator hose and install
I also have one installed for another application and it works ok.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/32mm-Radiator-hose-adapter-M16x1-5-thermofan-switch-1-8-NPT-temperature-sensor-/161306010752?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258e966480
Moz   :burnout:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:43:32 am by Moz »

Offline aussie trev

• Worked
  • you must have toys
  • Name: trevor
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 06:39:37 am »
Could you just buy a blank thermostat housing and tap a metric thread in the top. some are pre drill for switch,  others are blank.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 08:41:52 am »
The ones that go in through the top hose will leak sooner or later, I can guarantee it. They also look crap.

Offline Moff9

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:36:12 am »
Could you just buy a blank thermostat housing and tap a metric thread in the top. some are pre drill for switch,  others are blank.

Thanks Trev, that's what I was thinking too.  I'm not keen on drilling and tapping a thread though and I've never seen a thermostat housing with the provision a metric connection.  I'll have a look on the internet though to see what I can find.
I'm going to the All Ford Day at Geelong on Sunday so I might check out all the cars to see what people are using !

Offline aussie trev

• Worked
  • you must have toys
  • Name: trevor
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 10:43:14 am »
Also when you buy temp gauges they supplied  a/f and metric fitting in the pack. You could go to your parts shop and see if there got a cheap fitting set and try that option

Offline Moff9

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 11:52:34 am »
Also when you buy temp gauges they supplied  a/f and metric fitting in the pack. You could go to your parts shop and see if there got a cheap fitting set and try that option

Thanks Trev, that's a great suggestion, I'll do that :)

Offline cap70

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 05:07:27 pm »
I think thats a Tridon fan switch you quoted, TFS111 is a 3/8gas thread with 90 on 85 off
or TFS200 is 3/8 gas thread with 92on 87off
most of the other switches are metric sizes
heres a link to there catalog http://www.tridon.com.au/databank/documents/CAT079-Switch.pdf

Offline cap70

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 05:09:33 pm »
Oh and Bursons carry Tridon parts or can order them in, normally only 1 or 2 day wait

Offline Moff9

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 06:33:23 pm »
I think thats a Tridon fan switch you quoted, TFS111 is a 3/8gas thread with 90 on 85 off
or TFS200 is 3/8 gas thread with 92on 87off
most of the other switches are metric sizes
heres a link to there catalog http://www.tridon.com.au/databank/documents/CAT079-Switch.pdf

Hi, yes I saw the 3/8th thread ones but I have the same issue with them as the M14 one, there's no fitting on the thermostat housing that they would fit, the only fitting I've seem so far on a housing is 5/8th and Tridon don't make a switch in 5/8th.  :ouch:

Offline Ray68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 08:39:47 pm »
If you use the temp probe in the upper hose I have found that wrapping some of that high pressure self vulcanising tape around the radiator inlet seals it nicely. Do one or two wraps, put the probe over the top then the hose and this lets the probe bed into the rubber for a nice seal. No leaks.
68 Coupe
351W, mild cam, Performer intake
FMX tranny
9" diff
Petronix Ignitor III Ignition
Hedman Elite headers
24" Alloy radiator - twin thermos

Offline Petey

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 10:50:58 am »
Moff9,
A radiator hose housing like Moz suggested is the best option. Available from Bursons and Auto Barn as is the correct Tridon thermo switch. I have this set up on my car and it works fine, never leaks, looks good and easy to install.
PT

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 06:21:20 pm »
Hi, yes I saw the 3/8th thread ones but I have the same issue with them as the M14 one, there's no fitting on the thermostat housing that they would fit, the only fitting I've seem so far on a housing is 5/8th and Tridon don't make a switch in 5/8th.  :ouch:

You can buy a reducer,

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 11:30:29 pm »
I fitted a Davies Craig 2 years ago and it came with the adjustable Thermo switch and it has never leaked a drop.
Very happy with it.

You can also use one of these.
Just cut the top radiator hose and install
I also have one installed for another application and it works ok.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/32mm-Radiator-hose-adapter-M16x1-5-thermofan-switch-1-8-NPT-temperature-sensor-/161306010752?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258e966480
Moz   :burnout:

That's a good idea. Wish I new they were around when I put my thermo switch in the Stang last week. If mine starts leaking i'll definitely go buy on.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 05:11:18 pm »
The problem with the thermostat housing is that if the thermostat is stuck shut, you are not getting a true reading of the engine coolant temp(unless you tap it into the bypass outlet). I would get the manifold tapped just before the thermostat personally.
I was running a Davies Craig thermos witch in the radiator hose, and while I didn't get any leaks, it seemed to sometimes vary when the fan as switching on/off.
I still have it, if you want it and you can have it, just pay the postage cost ;)

Offline Moff9

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 01:32:34 pm »
Moff9,
A radiator hose housing like Moz suggested is the best option. Available from Bursons and Auto Barn as is the correct Tridon thermo switch. I have this set up on my car and it works fine, never leaks, looks good and easy to install.
PT

Thanks PT, that's what I'm looking at doing now !

Offline Moff9

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 01:35:12 pm »
The problem with the thermostat housing is that if the thermostat is stuck shut, you are not getting a true reading of the engine coolant temp(unless you tap it into the bypass outlet). I would get the manifold tapped just before the thermostat personally.
I was running a Davies Craig thermos witch in the radiator hose, and while I didn't get any leaks, it seemed to sometimes vary when the fan as switching on/off.
I still have it, if you want it and you can have it, just pay the postage cost ;)

Thanks ! I appreciate the offer but I think I'll go the housing in the top radiator house though, I've seen a few now and they look pretty trick and I hear they work well and are easy to wire up.

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 02:48:01 pm »
I run a switch through a reducer into the drain plug.  It is a 70c switch and works perfectly.  Also nearly invisible.