SOLD OUT !!! LED BULBS COMPLETE KIT WITH CLEAR LENS AND LOAD RESISTORS

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: SOLD OUT !!! LED BULBS COMPLETE KIT WITH CLEAR LENS AND LOAD RESISTORS  (Read 10847 times)

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
Mine arrived at the Post Office yesterday & I just plugged them in without the load resistor & they work great. Very happy!

Nice one Pete looks great. so bright .
so no problem with them flashing together. or one is stronger then the other.

Is your car a 66 ?

i think the problem was fixed in the 66 model.
the 65 at the dash only has 2 wires going to the turn signal indicator. if you cut the plug off they work fine but you have no indication of your blinkers (green flashing)

thanks for the feedback
enjoy the bulbs Pete
regards
jeff

Offline teacherspet

• Worked
  • Name: Pete
The car is a '66 convertible. At the moment the steering column is pulled apart so I can't operate the indicators yet. Highly recommended to anyone thinking about these.

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
Hi All
 :pepper:
limited stock has arrived of the 64-66 parking clear lens to go with kit

jeff

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
Hi All
Only 2 kits left. no more will be sold as kits. i still have bulbs left only.
jeff

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
  • Name: Andrew
Re: LED BULBS COMPLETE KIT WITH CLEAR LENS AND LOAD RESISTORS
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 11:17:41 pm »
Jeff, Maybe too early in the morning but this doesn't make sense to me.  :grin:

Here's my theory, happy to hear others:

L & R turn signals are independent of each other so I'm not sure it's possible for both to flash unless you have a short. Parkers on the other hand are NOT independent of each other so the more likely cause is that one of the pins on the globe is shorting the two contacts in the light socket. The turn signal on the suspect globe would flash (bright) as would the parker on the opposite side (not so bright). The original globes from the US have small round contacts where the new ones cover a much larger area. These are more likely to short the pins in the socket. Reseating the globe may temporarily cure the problem. Might need to file a little off the contacts.
Load resistors would not make a globe/LED brighter. My understanding is that they are there to provide enough load to allow the flasher can to operate correctly. If there isn't enough load, the flash rate is too fast which normally indicates a blown globe. Electronic flashers are unaffected.

Evan.

On the 65 mustangs the left front and right front share the same SINGLE indicator light inside the cabin . This is where the problem is applying LEDs to the front of a 65..usually when you fit LEDS in the front it makes both front indicators flash at the same time... usually you need to cut the wires behind dash to the indicator light but doing this will give you no turn signal light.

The LED parkers will usually work but you might have issues with the indicators for 64 /65 the Load resistors I found didn't work I'm not saying it wont for you car and it can be solved by cutting the wires at the dash but I'm not going down that route. I believe You can cut the wires and wire up 2 sockets with globes this will give you the load back using Leds. Again I'm not saying this product wont work on your car. But its not a short its how a 65 mustang is wired up. 

My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 01:55:42 am »
On the 65 mustangs the left front and right front share the same SINGLE indicator light inside the cabin . This is where the problem is applying LEDs to the front of a 65..usually when you fit LEDS in the front it makes both front indicators flash at the same time... usually you need to cut the wires behind dash to the indicator light but doing this will give you no turn signal light.

The LED parkers will usually work but you might have issues with the indicators for 64 /65 the Load resistors I found didn't work I'm not saying it wont for you car and it can be solved by cutting the wires at the dash but I'm not going down that route. I believe You can cut the wires and wire up 2 sockets with globes this will give you the load back using Leds. Again I'm not saying this product wont work on your car. But its not a short its how a 65 mustang is wired up. 

Andrew
You might have to look at your wiring cause you are the only one having trouble with
The kit. Did you try wiring them up the way I told you. If you have there must be an issue with your cars wiring. Sorry to hear you are having a problem.

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2015, 08:41:41 pm »
Andrew
You might have to look at your wiring cause you are the only one having trouble with
The kit. Did you try wiring them up the way I told you. If you have there must be an issue with your cars wiring. Sorry to hear you are having a problem.

Jeff the wiring on my car is correct with no faults also my rear lights are sequential LEDS Reverse are LEDs and no offense mate I can show you a dozen forums that will also tell you that the single cabin indicator light usually is the culprit...the 66 and on has 2 cabin indicator lights these usually don't have an issue with LEDs. I can get this to work with no real dramas.  I'm just saying if you have a 64 1/2/65 stang even with the load resistors you can still run into issues. The 641/2/65  each indicator has a wire that feeds power up to the cabin signal indicator globe by not cutting these two wires this causes the indicators to both flash this is because the cabin signal indicator globe shares a common feed. The resistors only fool the indicator to think its a bulb it doesn't stop the power feed.

If you watch this video at the end this explains why you might need to cut the wires on the interior indicator bulb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uQPtzHZ62Y   
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:10:07 pm by MACH_ONE »

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 05:09:48 am »
Jeff the wiring on my car is correct with no faults also my rear lights are sequential LEDS Reverse are LEDs and no offense mate I can show you a dozen forums that will also tell you that the single cabin indicator light usually is the culprit...the 66 and on has 2 cabin indicator lights these usually don't have an issue with LEDs. I can get this to work with no real dramas.  I'm just saying if you have a 64 1/2/65 stang even with the load resistors you can still run into issues. The 641/2/65  each indicator has a wire that feeds power up to the cabin signal indicator globe by not cutting these two wires this causes the indicators to both flash this is because the cabin signal indicator globe shares a common feed. The resistors only fool the indicator to think its a bulb it doesn't stop the power feed.

If you watch this video at the end this explains why you might need to cut the wires on the interior indicator bulb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uQPtzHZ62Y

i have seen this video before. like i told you i have a 65 with sequential rear lights too. at the very beginning i cut the wire in the dash to make the indicators function properly. I did this before i bought the rear sequential led's. After not liking the fact i did not have an green indicator in the cabin. i did more research into it and found out about the load resistors. the resistors fix the problem completely i was able to reconnect the green cabin indicator back to normal.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Re: SOLD OUT !!! LED BULBS COMPLETE KIT WITH CLEAR LENS AND LOAD RESISTORS
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 08:44:30 am »
Andrew, you could butcher the dash socket & jam two LED's in it, side by side (drill out & epoxy them in). Run the left feed to the left LED+ & right feed to the right LED+. Ground both LED's & you're done! By doing this, you might even be able to differentiate between L&R on the dash. You can buy 10 pre-wired Green LED's with resistor for under $2 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-20-x-20CM-Pre-Wired-Ultra-Bright-12V-5mm-LEDs-Car-Auto-LED-Light-Lamp-Bulb-/291276867642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&var=&hash=item43d174483a

I might give this a go myself even though I don't plan running LED's in the front.

Evan.

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
Andrew, you could butcher the dash socket & jam two LED's in it, side by side (drill out & epoxy them in). Run the left feed to the left LED+ & right feed to the right LED+. Ground both LED's & you're done! By doing this, you might even be able to differentiate between L&R on the dash. You can buy 10 pre-wired Green LED's with resistor for under $2 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-20-x-20CM-Pre-Wired-Ultra-Bright-12V-5mm-LEDs-Car-Auto-LED-Light-Lamp-Bulb-/291276867642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&var=&hash=item43d174483a

I might give this a go myself even though I don't plan running LED's in the front.

Evan.

I was thinking on the same lines that could possibly work thanks Evan

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 11:36:20 am »
I might head to Jaycar now & grab 2 green 3mm LED's & a couple of resistors. Undecided whether I destroy the original socket or use a rubber grommet/plug instead. That might be a neater option.

Evan.

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
I might head to Jaycar now & grab 2 green 3mm LED's & a couple of resistors. Undecided whether I destroy the original socket or use a rubber grommet/plug instead. That might be a neater option.

Evan.

It could be a better option than destroying the original socket

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 05:28:33 pm »
Done & dusted!

I bought the following:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZD0124 (X2) 3mm Green Waterclear LED's
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=RR0572 (pack of 8) 1k ohm resistors

I found the perfect rubber plug to use. It was a leftover from the '65 body plug kit so I guess they're readily available. I'm sure Clark rubber will have something you could use.

Soldered 1kohm resistors to LED's, heatshrinked & fitted bullet connectors. Also soldered in a ground wire for both LED's. Drilled the centre out of the rubber plug & popped it into the cluster. Cut off old socket & fitted bullet connectors to original wires. Pushed LED assy into plug, connected bullet connectors & earth & then adjusted until it was in the correct spot. I then filled back of plug with Araldite. Pretty impressed with the result although phone pics look crap. You can now clearly distinguish between left & right.

Evan.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:32:09 pm by evan »

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
Done & dusted!

I bought the following:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZD0124 (X2) 3mm Green Waterclear LED's
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=RR0572 (pack of 8) 1k ohm resistors

I found the perfect rubber plug to use. It was a leftover from the '65 body plug kit so I guess they're readily available. I'm sure Clark rubber will have something you could use.

Soldered 1kohm resistors to LED's, heatshrinked & fitted bullet connectors. Also soldered in a ground wire for both LED's. Drilled the centre out of the rubber plug & popped it into the cluster. Cut off old socket & fitted bullet connectors to original wires. Pushed LED assy into plug, connected bullet connectors & earth & then adjusted until it was in the correct spot. I then filled back of plug with Araldite. Pretty impressed with the result although phone pics look crap. You can now clearly distinguish between left & right.

Evan.

Evan great job mate the LEDs will also be a lot brighter.. I was going to say how do you distinguish between the left and right but I looked at the photos again and you can :smilies: again great job and thanks for showing the parts you needed
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:11:52 pm by MACH_ONE »

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Thanks mate!

Turns out that one of the repro mobs is already all over this. You can buy an LED globe (with earth lead) which fits into the existing globe holder. Oh well........

Evan.