Right hand Drive Steering Box for 68 Mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Right hand Drive Steering Box for 68 Mustang  (Read 13092 times)

Offline mtdubvee

• P Plates
Right hand Drive Steering Box for 68 Mustang
« on: December 31, 2014, 05:47:23 am »
If anyone has a right hand drive steering box for a 67-68 mustang I would love to buy one. Im restoring an Original RHD 68 car and the steering components were robbed from it at some point. So I could use any steering parts. I am in the states but would pay all associated costs.

Thanks
67 S Code 427

Offline mtdubvee

• P Plates
Re: Right hand Drive Steering Box for 68 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 08:14:53 am »
Thank you very much. Would that work for a 67-68? I dont know much about the RHD parts.

Thanks
67 S Code 427

Offline 69ISH

• Worked
  • Name: Rodney
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 08:20:49 am »
Thank you very much. Would that work for a 67-68? I dont know much about the RHD parts.

Thanks

Send ShaunP a message or he more than likely will chime in, He has a good knowledge of right hand drives.
1969 Mustang Sportsroof (8+ year Project are they ever completed)
1969 Cougar Eliminator (Sadly sold)
1972 Gran Torino Sport (Sold)
1968 Mustang Coupe (Sold)
Read about "Eliminators" below
http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/

Offline mtdubvee

• P Plates
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 08:23:33 am »
I just sent him a message. Thank you guys. Much Appreciated.
67 S Code 427

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 09:01:10 am »
Where was the car converted ? .  Is it power steering or manual steering ? .  Does it still have power steering ram set up or a manual drag/centre  link set up .  Their are a couple of power steering set ups with different steering boxes .   Mustangs were not factory RHD but done but by different people and workshops , so that's why so many combinations in conversions . Where in the USA are you .
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:10:47 am by GLENN 70 »

Offline mtdubvee

• P Plates
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 09:37:03 am »
This car is a T-5 export car. Marti report shows right hand drive.

The car was gutted. So in trying to restore it back to it's original specs.

68 GT mustang T-5 fastback. Right hand drive in the options list, along with T-5 package and export special handling package.

I'm going to need the steering link and arms as well. This car was a shell when I got it that was stripped.

Thanks
67 S Code 427

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 10:27:04 am »
This car is a T-5 export car. Marti report shows right hand drive.

The car was gutted. So in trying to restore it back to it's original specs.

68 GT mustang T-5 fastback. Right hand drive in the options list, along with T-5 package and export special handling package.

I'm going to need the steering link and arms as well. This car was a shell when I got it that was stripped.

Thanks

Replied to your PM, but if it was RHD from Ford, I suspect it would have used an XW/ XY falcon Australian box, Drag link will need to be made here from a Local falcon, XA falcon requires only 1 weld and Xray though in the US you likely wont need the XRAY. If everything is missing go straight up to an XF variable ratio power box, will drive better then US one. But like I said the box is bigger may need a firewall mod for the rag joint. John Greene At Probe engineering in here in Brisbane can make the drag link to suit Tie rods etc  wont be an issue they are the same as US but some Oz cars have larger tapers, no big deal easy to get. You would just need inners to suit the Australian drag link.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 10:32:56 am »
XF Falcon power box, and cut down XY Falcon link.

Offline staddy

• Worked
  • 1969 GT350H
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 01:37:21 pm »
I have the same set up in a 69 rcode as the picture above , works well and it has clearance with a 428 so you shouldn`t have any problems with that setup in yours ,  , cheers

1969 GT350H

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 02:17:36 pm »
As far as I know the early mustangs that were built for export to Europe / Germany  were called Ford T5  because the name mustang was not able to be used in Germany .   They were a little different to the American models ,HUD caps ,steering wheel plain black  ,some trim bits and the mustang badge was deleted .  And I don't think any were build RHD ,but may have been converted by the selling dealer ,same as the Australian ones and not by Ford Usa . I have seen a couple in the USA when I have been there .

Offline mtdubvee

• P Plates
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 03:10:33 pm »
Well this car says Right Hand Drive on the official Marti Report which makes me believe that it was a Ford built RHD car.

That was in the option list that the car left the factory with.

I'm trying to wrap my head around it.

It's a very unique car. I wanna see it back to specs. I have the original drivetrain for it and everything.

It's gonna be a best car when done.
67 S Code 427

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 03:37:56 pm »
Hmm interesting . All the ones sold new by ford here in Australia were build in the Usa LHD then converted to RHD here . Would be interesting for someone that owns a ford Australia mustang RHD and see what the Marty report says . Have you checked if ford Usa build them RHD or sent them out to be done elsewhere . A lot of RHD CARS were build in CANADA then exported .

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 03:44:45 pm »
Take some pictures of the firewall dash etc and post them. You could use the XA manual box you found on Ebay but you would still need a Drag link from John, idler is just the same as mustang, Australian falcons are really the same a  mustang but a bit wider, hence the need to shorten the link. You can just use Falcon as is but you get more turns lock to lock one way.
Pretty sure Ford US would have just raided to global parts bin so the likely hood they used Australian falcon parts is very high. Remember that the 60's US falcons were built here as RHD with slightly different trim and such.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:48:01 pm by shaunp »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 03:58:20 pm »
If it were done in 1968 then they would have used a 68 XT steering box , If you want it original. Then later steering boxes are no good to you unless you just want it RHD . 

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 05:18:15 pm »
If it were done in 1968 then they would have used a 68 XT steering box , If you want it original. Then later steering boxes are no good to you unless you just want it RHD .

Reco unit, 16:1  http://steeringsolutions.quicksales.com.au/item.aspx?itemid=15476744

20:1     http://steeringsolutions.quicksales.com.au/item.aspx?itemid=15476742

Only issue with this not sure if John has a jig to make link for this box. The XA one will be the same as using XF power box link. Peter Menzies may have this stuff 2nd hand.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 05:21:04 pm by shaunp »

Offline mtdubvee

• P Plates
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 12:24:36 am »
The car was built in April 1968.
67 S Code 427

Offline mtdubvee

• P Plates
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 12:36:23 am »
So if I buy the XA box, How do I get a hold of John and you say all I need would be a shortened drag link?

The XT box seems nice. Pricey for sure. But I might have to get it anyway.

I wanna buy the XA box just to have it in case. The buyer said he would ship it to me. for around $120.00
67 S Code 427

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 07:30:43 pm »
So if I buy the XA box, How do I get a hold of John and you say all I need would be a shortened drag link?

The XT box seems nice. Pricey for sure. But I might have to get it anyway.

I wanna buy the XA box just to have it in case. The buyer said he would ship it to me. for around $120.00

The XA set up will be better has John has revised the steering to geometry to minimise bump steer from the factory. John Trades as Probe engineering and consulting. He will likely be back at work next week on Monday as everyone takes the xmas/new year week off here. To call from the US his number should be 61733966033.  Be mindful of the time difference. As I type this it is 6.25 pm Thursday evening. John normally gets in about 9-9.30. I'll go see him for you if you want, before you call, his set up many require you to move the mount holes but its worth it, no one  will know and it will drive better then new. Will have to find an XA drag link on ebay as well, XA, XB XC should be the same. If not I may know a guy who can help.

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 09:40:08 pm »
All are assuming an Australian import originally.  Unlikely.  What does the Marti note for the order info?  If you can posting an image of the Marti it would be of interest.

Most, if not all, T5's were specifically for German import to avoid the copyright name infringement noted by Glenn.  US service persons buying got MPH speedos, "locals" got kph.

The RHD on the Marti would indicate conversion in the US or a Ford subsidiary (like the Luxembourg build plant), will post on the Concours forum and ask about that one as it is pretty unusual...
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 10:01:02 pm »
An interesting section on the T5 conversions on the First Mustang Club of Germany web site. The early Mustangs were sent over to Germany with the conversion items in the trunk while after 1965 German authorities required the conversions to be done on the assembly line.

http://www.ponysite.de/fmcog/t5/t5-2.htm

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: Right hand Drive Steering Box for 65 Mustang
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 10:59:42 pm »
Hi Shaunp,

I am looking for somebody that can help me to find RHD manual steering box, pitman arm and linkage to my present 1965 Mustang Project for Historic Racing.

Would appreciate very much if You could help me find these parts.

Anders Weiter
Grabo
Sweden
E-mail: sunbeamtiger@telia.com
Homepage: www.weiterracing.se

Anders
 you will need an Australian Ford Falcon steering box from an XA,XB,XC, XD , XE or XF model. Or a power box from any of the same cars, Idler arm  also from these which can be had new. You will then need a custom made drag link which on a 65  will be a manual 65 link with Falcon ends welded to it, then xrayed. John Greene at Probe engineering in Brisbane Australia can do this, link below. You are much better to use the power assisted box as it is variable ratio from 11:1-19:1 and only 2.3 turns lock to lock. Personally I wouldn't bother with the manual box in a race car as they are 19:1 too low.

https://plus.google.com/101146539570709591737/about?gl=au&hl=en

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:01:24 pm by shaunp »

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
Re: Right hand Drive Steering Box for 65 Mustang
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 08:55:13 pm »
Anders
 you will need an Australian Ford Falcon steering box from an XA,XB,XC, XD , XE or XF model. Or a power box from any of the same cars, Idler arm  also from these which can be had new. You will then need a custom made drag link which on a 65  will be a manual 65 link with Falcon ends welded to it, then xrayed. John Greene at Probe engineering in Brisbane Australia can do this, link below. You are much better to use the power assisted box as it is variable ratio from 11:1-19:1 and only 2.3 turns lock to lock. Personally I wouldn't bother with the manual box in a race car as they are 19:1 too low.

https://plus.google.com/101146539570709591737/about?gl=au&hl=en
XF being the only variable power box if I am not mistaken,... hard to find now but pre XA, power steer cars had 16:1 manual boxes..
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline littlejohn

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 07:48:01 am »
100% XF  :thumb: