Reusing Cylinder Head Bolts

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Reusing Cylinder Head Bolts  (Read 8776 times)

Offline Wharfie66

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
Reusing Cylinder Head Bolts
« on: December 17, 2014, 07:45:35 am »
Hi Guys,    :hi:

I am wondering if you are able to reuse cylinder head bolts? And how do you know if they are the bolts that have angle torque applied that stretch the fasteners?  I have got some Stainless Steel Outer head bolts that the manufacturer recommend to torque to a different lesser spec to the standard bolts.  Do you think I will have issues if I reuse the standard bolts torqued to normal spec on the inside of the head and use the stainless bolts torqued to manufacturers spec on the outside of the heads of course following the normal torqueing sequence?

Thanks for your help    :thumb:

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Re: Reusing Cylinder Head Bolts
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 08:19:54 am »
I am not sure I like the sound of these stainless head bolts you are considering. Maybe fine on a show car that is a trailer queen.

In any case, as long as the bolts are not 'Torque to yield' bolts you can generally reuse the bolts as long as they measure to the original length. If they have stretched at all then throw them away. I am not aware of any factory Windsor using 'Torque to yield head bolts'.

I personally use ARP studs for all of my performance builds. I do reuse though I try to limit it to 5 times. On stock budget builds I will reuse the factory bolts if they pass inspection.

Offline Wharfie66

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:36:53 am »
Hi Boofhead,

thanks for the reply, they are actually ARP Stainless bolts, purchased through Totally Stainless in the states.  They recommend torqueing those outer head to bolts to 57 Ft Lbs with Anti Seize. Funnily enough they don't offer a full head set, I guess no one will see stainless bolts inside the head but at least for continuity sake, I would ideally have liked to use the same bolts all round.  Your thoughts? And yes....unfortunately I would like the shiny stainless bolts on there, I'm just too inexeperienced to know if mixing and matching would be ok.

Cheers
Wharfie

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 09:14:10 am »
Hmm I would double check that 57 torque spec ,it seems quite low . 70 lbs is std . 55lbs would be 2nd torque stage not final .

Offline Wharfie66

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 09:33:33 am »
Cheers Glenn for that, I did think that also.   :agree:

I was more or less following the advice given from the supplier, I have attached (or at least attempting to) pics of the bolts and some instructions supplied with the bolts.

More feedback would be appreciated. Thanks for the feedback so far guys  :thumb:

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 09:34:39 am »
Strictly speaking on engineering terms, Bolts can be reused in ideal conditions as long as they are only tensioned no more than 65% of their proof load. eg manufacturer says 65 ft lb and you pull to 100 Ftlb you meet and exceed the proof load stress figure = bolts cactus.
In extreme conditions the bolts would be measured and the figure documented and checked at each and every reuse, alternatively err on the side of caution and put new bolts on.
luvhev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 10:04:19 am »
Yes I can see what they are saying . I have never used S S bolts for head bolts before so I don't know .

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 10:54:11 am »
I guess your not that far out in terms of a stock head bolt torque spec.
I torque to 65 for stock bolts and 80 for ARPs. You going 60 for the short length (fancy) bolts so 5 difference is fine in my book. I would use the stock bolts for the long end so torque difference is minimal hence even force over the surface of the head.

Note: I am not sure what year block as the later blocks the lower head bolt threads go into the water jackets so you need to use thread sealer - early blocks are fine so lube can be used.

Offline Wharfie66

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 11:11:05 am »
Thanks boofhead, block's a 68 block

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 11:59:05 am »
 I personally would not use them , don't care if they are Arp or not. Stainless doesn't hold tension and the threads gawl, they snap etc. I've had  prior poor results with stainless head bolts, not these in particular though. I would not use stainless even to hold down  rocker covers, leave it for boats the reason they don't do the long ones are because they won't work and it will blow gaskets,
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:01:57 pm by shaunp »

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 09:17:39 pm »
I agree, I already stated I would not use them.

Now you do not have ARP bolts though they do have them

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/arp-454-3601/overview/make/ford

The instructions show a lower torque rating then the standard ARP bolts though it is good enough with a recommended torque of 70ftlb . They are a better quality part. Make sure you use lots of molly to lube the thread.

http://arpinstructions.com/instructions/454-3601.pdf

Having said use a good set of black ARP bolts (or studs).

Offline Wharfie66

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 08:28:11 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 04:55:25 pm »
I guess your not that far out in terms of a stock head bolt torque spec.
I torque to 65 for stock bolts and 80 for ARPs. You going 60 for the short length (fancy) bolts so 5 difference is fine in my book. I would use the stock bolts for the long end so torque difference is minimal hence even force over the surface of the head.

Note: I am not sure what year block as the later blocks the lower head bolt threads go into the water jackets so you need to use thread sealer - early blocks are fine so lube can be used.

Do you do this for ARP 351 bolts as well?  Mine had a spec of 100Ft/lb so that's what I did.  I went to 50 first and then went over them again.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 05:23:06 pm »
You should do them in 3 steps . 351 what , Windsor or clevo .?

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 07:14:51 pm »
351 Windsor bolts.  The spec in the ARP box was 100ftlb.   I did go over them again but none budged on the last pass.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 07:32:54 pm »
Should be fine , 3 steps next time .

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 09:25:31 pm »
I agree with Glenn. You will be fine though three steps is preferred.

As far as the 100ftlb - yes that is normal for a ARP 351w head bolt since it is a 1/2" bolt rather than the 302w being a ARP 7/16 head bolt hence the 80 ftlb.

Offline Richstang

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 06:09:57 pm »
I will be hesitant about using factory headbolts again. Was hand tighting one of the longer centre bolts, the bolt broke right at the start of the thread,,,never had a perfect looking bolt do that.
Was in a EB V8 engine I was using for parts for my new engine build.
Also all windsors from 1994 have torque to yield bolts. One use then throw out.
Check online for torque to yield bolt identification.
I went with ARP head bolts, $100 including postage on evilbay.
1966 Coupe, Black on Black Pony GT, 2008 to 2011, sold
1967 Coupe, Red on Red, 2011, sold
1965 Convert, Twilight Turquoise, 2012, sold
1966 Coupe, Blue, Modified 6, 2014, 2015, sold
1967 Coupe, Sports Sprint, Factory Black on Black, 2016- 2017 sold
1967 Coupe 7R01T Coupe, 2018, 8.8 3.73, LSD, gearbox and engine. Sold March 2020.
Looking for my 7th Mustang

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 11:12:54 am »
There is a service limit on all bolts. Interesting that the 94+ Windsor had Torque to yield head bolts. Not a lot of information around to confirm. Any way, I agree - I do not reuse factory head bolts in my performance builds.