Inglése™ Weber setup

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Inglése™ Weber setup  (Read 6883 times)

Offline bank1957

• Worked
  • Owner of the Oldest D Code Mustang Coupe in Aus
  • Name: Frank
Inglése™ Weber setup
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:06:01 pm »
This may have been asked before; but I could not find a suitable answer. I'd like to have a Inglese Weber setup on my 289 engine. I realise that this is a $5k investment just for the parts; but what I'd like to know has any one installed them on their engines and how they felt and sounded and HP advantages. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
Re: Inglése™ Weber setup
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 10:18:36 pm »
What other motor upgrades are you planning  to do, seems a bit over kill on a 289.

Offline bank1957

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 01:37:24 am »
What other motor upgrades are you planning  to do, seems a bit over kill on a 289.

It already has a set of custom headers, but planning on doing a complete engine rebuild using the latest quality parts, forged flat top pistons,upgraded camshaft, aluminium performance heads, ICE ignition, copper core radiator; a/c; better valves and comp springs; bullet proof bottom end; etc. The toploader gearbox has just been overhauled and beaffed up, 4 calliper disc brakes installed, LSD and diff overhauled; and suspension upgraded to 21st century. Looking at min 450 HP. That should do nicely and having the webers will complement the build. As I've said in the past I used to drag race in the 70's and now that I've retired a feel I need a bit more than just a classic 64 Mustang with only 210HP.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 12:46:15 pm »
Over kill for sure. You won't have 450 in 289 unless build the engine to 347.  Bullet proof means you want a dart block , h beam rods and forged crank. Then if you have a dart block you may as we'll build a 363 cube. Standard 289 /302 blocks are on the edge at mid 400 up, they break the main bearing webs out of the block. Got one I can show you. Dart block stroker will cost you over 10k
Webers need a lot of space above them to work well, ie cowl on the hood, they spit back a bit, need a good air space.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:54:53 pm by shaunp »

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 01:38:43 pm »
Also important to have the throttle linkage in the middle. People often put it on the end and with the lenght of shafts you get a twist.
I ran them for years on my raceboat and you could hear the air scream into them at high revs but a lot of dyno time showed more performance out of a tunnel ram manifold. Looked good though. You'll need a pressure setting fitting as well as they like high volme at low pressure.
Stormin

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:41:32 pm »
If you’re the owner of the oldest coupe in Oz, seems a shame to mess with its original 289 by putting a trick Weber set up on it and if you go further with a Dart block, then you’re really not honoring the pedigree of such a car.  There’s plenty of ’65 and ’66 coupes to play around with, if you can buy one of those and mod it, it would be less onerous than modifying a car with the pedigree you state.

Offline bank1957

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 11:17:28 pm »
If you’re the owner of the oldest coupe in Oz, seems a shame to mess with its original 289 by putting a trick Weber set up on it and if you go further with a Dart block, then you’re really not honoring the pedigree of such a car.  There’s plenty of ’65 and ’66 coupes to play around with, if you can buy one of those and mod it, it would be less onerous than modifying a car with the pedigree you state.

I certainly was not modifying the old girl. She is still original and will remain. I’m looking at a late 64 fb that I also have and doing up. The tag oldest Mustang Coupe in Australia still has not been beaten by anyone and it may also be the oldest unrestored survivor anywhere as well. However I’m slowly learning that keeping it original is more of a labour of passion and money which I have.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 11:36:21 pm »
That drag racing is still in your blood hey . The webers will look awesome and sound like nothing on earth ,my old 6 pack R/T charger with triple webers sounded great back in the day .  It comes down to what you want ,show or go . The webers will go but good luck tuning them and only on a 289 . Won't beat them for looks and the old school look .   Again i ask ,What are you looking for ,go or show .

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 11:50:34 pm »

Frank

Inglese are a great set up. We're about to fit them up on our falcon 2 door build were doing over here in FL but we have to have the linkages moved to the centre to accommodate the roller/valve covers.

They definitely look cool but like Shaunp said, a stockie 289 probably isnt the engine you'd want for this build

You may want to consider using something like this (if your just chasing the look)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-SB-260-289-302-Windsor-Down-Draft-EFI-Stack-Intake-Manifold-System-Complete-/181502251062?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a42609036

I considered them for sheri's little Ferrari GT250

Hope that helps

Matt

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 12:42:54 pm »
Webers, We do I start. I ran them on one of my engines for a while. IDA TYPE that is. And will be running them on my Group NC Race car when it is finished!They are the best for WOW factor! If you want to race the car on a road circuit, they are very good. They give you a lot of low down torque for out of the corner acceleration. They are very expensive to tune, and getting someone who knows what they are doing with them is getting very hard to find  that has the know how to do the tune. Just remember that when you are tuning them, they need to be done in the car and on a chassis dyno. Also, Every engine is different, so out of the box they will need tuning, so you will be up for everything x8, main jets x8, idle jets x8, chokes x8, emulsion tubes x8 and the list goes on!
Once they are set up properly, they are excellent. They do not like a camshaft with a lot of overlap, (too much reversion).
A lot of people say that they are always going out of tune. They go out of Sync, not tune once they are tuned. If your price is $5k US for the setup I would expect $10k fitted, balanced and tuned. Frank, I would say and suggest that you would be much better off with a single 4 barrel carb and manifold package. Much easier to tune and a lot easier on the wallet!

I hope this gives you some insight into WEBERS!
Al
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:44:50 pm by big al »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 03:33:49 pm »
Big Al is right, it's not like a Holley where you just swap a couple of jets maybe an air bleed.  I.ve run them Holden red motors in  Torana's  back in the 80's  and later on on XK jag engines.  Blair Salter  that owned Akses carburettors at the Gabba  in Brisbane was the man to go to, he could almost tell you off his head what to put in them. He worked for Warnford design  in the 60,s  Unfortunately  he passed away about 3 years ago a few too many Benson & Hedges. I do have a book he wrote on tuning them some where which has base setting, for many engines, I'll see if it has windsor in it and post the set up.

Offline bank1957

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 05:29:18 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys. I had a set for dual 48 webers in my Celica back in the days when I encountered Glen70. And yes I understand the tuning and syncing of the webers. Mine were a real bitch and I would have thought that after 40 odd years that would have progressed/developed into an easier set up. But it looks like that have not progress very far.

The idea that  Matt came up with might do the trick for the "Ford SB 260 289 302 Windsor Down Draft EFI Stack Intake Manifold System Complete" in his link. However anyone here had any experiences with this EFI set up?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 05:37:21 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys. I had a set for dual 48 webers in my Celica back in the days when I encountered Glen70. And yes I understand the tuning and syncing of the webers. Mine were a real bitch and I would have thought that after 40 odd years that would have progressed/developed into an easier set up. But it looks like that have not progress very far.

The idea that  Matt came up with might do the trick for the "Ford SB 260 289 302 Windsor Down Draft EFI Stack Intake Manifold System Complete" in his link. However anyone here had any experiences with this EFI set up?
Now your talking, have talk to Boofhead and see if he can help you with a Mega squirt ecu.

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 06:14:27 pm »
Your referring to the Procomp EFI stack and I agree very inexpensive - even I was/am interested simply because it is at least 1/3 the price of other comparable kits. It is priced to the point that it is simply worth it to try it out. As far as the ECU - no problem getting an Megasquirt to run the stack. Just yesterday I was running in a Megasquirt EFI mustang with a very similar stack based on the same quad webber Manifold as found in that kit - it was a lot of fun - sounded fantastic - very streetable.