Resonator or not?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Resonator or not?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline V8_bloke_28

• Thoroughbred
Resonator or not?
« on: November 21, 2014, 08:35:09 pm »
Hi.
I have a 390 bb in a 67 fastback and am changing the stock exhaust with a twin stainless 2.5 inch system consisting of jba headers, x pipe and 2x magnaflow mufflers.
Should I add 2 rear resonators or leave it with mufflers only. The mufflers are straight through flow.
Cheers

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Resonator or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 08:40:53 pm »
I wouldn't ,I would see how it goes or sounds 1st .

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 09:16:12 pm »
My 428 had twin stainless 2.5's with Hooker headers and twin straight through Magnaflow mufflers and X-pipe. It was loud and very raspy/crisp. But I didn't notice any drone.

I had a twin in/out 2.5 inch Magnaflow straight through muffler on my 302W AU and also on my 351W F150 both with no resonators or cross pipe and they too had a nice note with no drone. Neither were loud though.

My 390 F100 has a pissy 2 inch, I think, true twin system with twin Flowmaster 40's. Has slight rumble but the motor is stock. It has no drone and is not loud. It needs to be change to give it more character. You hear it coming down the road and people turn their heads but it's not showing its true colours....yet :lol:

I guess my point is, I wouldn't bother with resonators unless you get it all together and the neighbours or wife complains.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 01:50:40 pm »
Try with just the magaflows, but get the exhaust shop to put a meter on it.

Mine came in 2 x decibels under the limit with just a single muffler per side. Nice to know it's legal when the Highway Patrol is sitting on your tail.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 03:40:13 pm »
Where are you located? May be worth putting that in your profile to stop us asking each time. ;)

I had mine done at Sureflo.

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,18004.msg193501.html#msg193501

s