Want to buy a 1967 Fastback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Want to buy a 1967 Fastback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 26013 times)

Offline Jaz

• Pony
  • Looking to buy a 1967 - 1968 Mustang Fastback!!!
Want to buy a 1967 Fastback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: November 17, 2014, 11:02:41 pm »
Hi, Im looking for a 1967 fastback in good condition. I would like it to have no rust, however, some rust is fine.
I can do everything else, however the only problem is my price range is between $10,000 - $15,000 and I'm looking in Australia to find one. I'm not to fussed with the pain job, or interior, however I would like it to be rust free and clean. This car would be a small resto.

If anyone finds one could you please tell me through email just so I can find my dream car. Thanks so much!

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Re: Want to buy a 1967 Fastback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 11:50:22 pm »
Jaz, you may need to keep saving for a bit longer mate..

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 12:46:02 am »
Jaz I suggest you have a look through car sales & car club websites, or eBay, & you'll get some idea of what you'll need to pay just for a rough car that needs serious money spent on it, let alone one that's in decent condition like you want.
I'm sorry but I don't know where you got the K$10-15 price range from, it's way way short of what you'll need.

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
  • Name: George
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 07:29:05 am »
Jaz, perhaps you'd consider a coup! There are a couple around for that sort of money.

This is just out of you price range but an example of what is out there

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Mustang-1967/SSE-AD-2770447/?Cr=5&sdmvc=1

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 08:39:20 am »
Jaz ,10  to 15k  will only get you a coupe that will need restoring . A fastback will cost you 25,000 at a starting price and that will need restoring also . A good fastback  will cost between 30 to about 70 grand depending on condition .

Offline Jaz

• Pony
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 09:17:53 am »
Jaz ,10  to 15k  will only get you a coupe that will need restoring . A fastback will cost you 25,000 at a starting price and that will need restoring also . A good fastback  will cost between 30 to about 70 grand depending on condition .

Thanks all for replying, I know that my price range is really low, however I have found a couple:

- http://digiads.com.au/carsales/used-cars/USED-1967-FORD-MUSTANG-FASTBACK-CAR-FOR-SALE-SYDNEY-NSW-2000-187843.htm

I found this one, however the owner's details are not work, which is a shame because I would of went to Sydney to have a look at it,

- http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars-for-sale/1967-ford-mustang-chicago-il-246810395

I also found this one, the only problem is that its in the states, and I wont be able to see it. I have spoken to the owner and he said that its 100% and he wants to sell it because he will be going away.

If i was to put my price range up to $15,000 - $25,000 are there any good 1967 fastbacks which I can slowly build up, or something similar?

Thanks for that guys appreciate your replies!!
Cheers Jaz

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 09:29:50 am »
I suspect the digiad one is a very old ad that's popped up.....or a scam. Even if it dates back to 2000 as hinted at in the title that still sounds too cheap to be true back then.

And if you're looking to buy overseas & import then you'd better do your homework..... plenty of people have been stung by buying sight unseen, so get it checked out, & especially anything coming from that part of the states (rust belt).
Whether you end up buying a car already in Australia, or import from overseas, you are going to need 3 times your upper limit & then probably more just to get the thing to a usable standard. That's the reality.
As I said before, have a look at CarSales for example & you'll see the sort of money you'll need. These are not cheap cars, & the '67 FB is one of the most sought after.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:33:29 am by 67FBGT »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 09:40:41 am »
Jaz ,sorry mate but they are all scams .  Some of those sites you are looking at are full of them .  A good coupe in the USA will cost you 13 too 15 grand all day ,and a fastback 25 to 40 ish and yes that's in the Usa and in usd . I have been over there many times so I know what I am talking about .

Offline Jaz

• Pony
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:41:32 am »
Jaz ,sorry mate but they are all scams .  Some of those sites you are looking at are full of them .  A good coupe in the USA will cost you 13 too 15 grand all day ,and a fastback 25 to 40 ish and yes that's in the Usa and in usd . I have been over there many times so I know what I am talking about .

I suspect the digiad one is a very old ad that's popped up.....or a scam. Even if it dates back to 2000 as hinted at in the title that still sounds too cheap to be true back then.

And if you're looking to buy overseas & import then you'd better do your homework..... plenty of people have been stung by buying sight unseen, so get it checked out, & especially anything coming from that part of the states (rust belt).
Whether you end up buying a car already in Australia, or import from overseas, you are going to need 3 times your upper limit & then a whole lot more just to get the thing to a usable standard. That's the reality.
As I said before, have a look at CarSales for example & you'll see the sort of money you'll need. These are not cheap cars, & the '67 FB is one of the most sought after.

Yeah, I see your point, Thats why Im hesitating with the state one. I don't have the time to go over there and just check the car out, and i don't want to give up my money without seeing it in person. What would you recommend I do?
Should I save up $70,000 and buy one ready, or buy a $30,000 and slowly build it up?

I don't want to buy one from the states, because I don't want to be stung, I would rather get one which is in Australia. 

However they are around $30,000 - $65,000 (Wells the ones I have seen)

I have looked everywhere and the cheapest in Australia was a 1968 fastback for $38,000. However It looks like it has been in drag races.

Offline Jaz

• Pony

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 10:04:18 am »
At the end of the today it's up to YOU .  30 grand here will buy a fastback but it will need some type of work unless its a bargain . You can buy nearly everything for mustangs these days so its not really a problem .  The biggest issue can be RUST ,stay clear of rusty cars full stop .  60 to 70 is top of the range so you don't have to go there 40 will buy a nice fastback . If you want to buy out of the Usa either go over or use someone like Shermatt on this site to sort something out for you as he is based in the Usa .

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 10:08:39 am »
They were only talking about the car last week on here and I have NO comment .  If you do find one in Aust make sure you ask for advice on here about it before you buy .

Offline Jaz

• Pony
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 10:12:36 am »
OK Cool,
What sites would you recommend I look for to get one.

Yeah, I don't want anything that has rust because its just to much to fix up.

So you suggest I look for something around $30,000 - $40,000? I can afford that, but i thought I could find one cheaper than that.

Thanks for your helps guys, appreciate all you have replied to!

At the end of the today it's up to YOU .  30 grand here will buy a fastback but it will need some type of work unless its a bargain . You can buy nearly everything for mustangs these days so its not really a problem .  The biggest issue can be RUST ,stay clear of rusty cars full stop .  60 to 70 is top of the range so you don't have to go there 40 will buy a nice fastback . If you want to buy out of the Usa either go over or use someone like Shermatt on this site to sort something out for you as he is based in the Usa .

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 10:20:56 am »
In the Usa try Shermatt international , e bay ,Craig's list , cars on line .com . That will give you a better idea with pricing . A lot of the other sites seem to have a lot of scammers on them ,not all but if the price seems to good to be true it's a scam .

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 10:24:42 am »
Yes that FB has been tabled previously, read the ad again, there seem to be some issues.
Ditto what Glenn 70 has just said, take his advice.
You can easily fork out K$40 but don't expect better than a rather average car for that.
Caveat emptor - buyer beware.
Keep saving while you do your homework & get to know Mustangs by visiting car shows, talk to owners etc.

Offline Jaz

• Pony
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 10:27:34 am »
Yes that FB has been tabled previously, read the ad again, there seem to be some issues.
Ditto what Glenn 70 has just said, take his advice.
You can easily fork out K$40 but don't expect better than a rather average car for that.
Caveat emptor - buyer beware.
Keep saving while you do your homework & get to know Mustangs by visiting car shows, talk to owners etc.

In the Usa try Shermatt international , e bay ,Craig's list , cars on line .com . That will give you a better idea with pricing . A lot of the other sites seem to have a lot of scammers on them ,not all but if the price seems to good to be true it's a scam .

Sounds Good,
With those, are they trusted sites, so I won't need to go see if the car is all good, or are they sites where I need to check? Even if they aren't are would still want to see them in person.

What about Auto traders?
That the Australian site which I had a look at, and the cars are around $40,000-$60,000. Also they are in Victoria (Where I live) which in confident.

Would it be wise to check that out as well?

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 12:24:40 pm »
You need to exercise extreme caution buying overseas. The seller may indeed have the car (this is often not the case!) but who can say if they'll actually ship you the car, or make it available for your guy with a truck once you've paid for it if you buy it remotely?

If you pay for the car to be inspected overseas, who's to say that they'll do a good job and that the car will be worth having when it gets here? What's your recourse if it's a steaming pile of poo?

What happens if you get the car inspected, and it's good, and it has a title and so you go ahead - then you buy the car and the seller makes it available to your shipper to go collect, and it turns up at the docks ready to be put into a container and it turns out that the car was stolen way back in 1971, stored until a few years ago, got a new title in a new state that doesn't require titles on cars over 25 years old. The exporter checks with the US Government to say that it's being exported and they check with the FBI (I think it is) and they find the original report based on the VIN, and your car is collected from the docks to be returned to the original owner or insurance company - and you're out of money on the whole deal???

Be careful, the above (or something similar) can happen - unless you can afford to risk the whole amount then be careful about the international bargains you chase.

The other cars you listed were fake adverts.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:26:33 pm by jiffy »
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 01:14:37 pm »
It's not the sites so much it's the dishonest people who use them . If I can't  see and feel the car I'm going to buy I don't buy it .
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:28:27 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline Jaz

• Pony
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 01:47:38 pm »
It's not the sites so much it's the dishonest people who use them . If I can see and feel the car I'm going to buy I don't buy it .

You need to exercise extreme caution buying overseas. The seller may indeed have the car (this is often not the case!) but who can say if they'll actually ship you the car, or make it available for your guy with a truck once you've paid for it if you buy it remotely?

If you pay for the car to be inspected overseas, who's to say that they'll do a good job and that the car will be worth having when it gets here? What's your recourse if it's a steaming pile of poo?

What happens if you get the car inspected, and it's good, and it has a title and so you go ahead - then you buy the car and the seller makes it available to your shipper to go collect, and it turns up at the docks ready to be put into a container and it turns out that the car was stolen way back in 1971, stored until a few years ago, got a new title in a new state that doesn't require titles on cars over 25 years old. The exporter checks with the US Government to say that it's being exported and they check with the FBI (I think it is) and they find the original report based on the VIN, and your car is collected from the docks to be returned to the original owner or insurance company - and you're out of money on the whole deal???

Be careful, the above (or something similar) can happen - unless you can afford to risk the whole amount then be careful about the international bargains you chase.

The other cars you listed were fake adverts.

You guys are right, Thanks on that!
Wow I wasn't expecting that!
Ok, well how can I check if the car is all good, if I do go to a owner?
How do i make sure that its not stolen?

Is there anything that I ask or anything that I look for when it comes to theses sales?

Does this happen in Australia as well? If so how do i determine it?

I don't want any of that happening to me, that would just be the worst experience, and it would probably put me off buying one. I want this to be a good experience. Its my dream car and I don't want to ruin my dreams!

So its better to buy from Australia, (Im from Victoria) so i can see the car?

Offline Jaz

• Pony
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 06:11:47 pm »
Does anyone know any good mustangs that are for sale right now?

I prefer the 1967 Fastback Mustang in good condition,
With the price range, It doesn't matter, I just want to see whats else there.
However, I can only get one that is in Australia.
Nothing in the states, because I wont be able to go there!

Cheers

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 06:22:50 pm »
Well, get the 40 to 60 grand together that we've advised you you'll need & wait until the right car comes up. At the end of the day they're all old cars so you should approach your 'dream' with caution, knowledge & common sense, or the dream will most likely become a money-draining nightmare.
'Nuff said.

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 06:27:54 pm »
My car is for sale on Carsales but is waaay out of your price range.
All the advice on here is good, just get the best one that you can afford.
Buying locally makes more sense at the moment with our dollar being so low, and it also makes it safer to deal with a person face to face.
I also think that it's better to buy an unmolested car if possible, as original cars retain their value better.

Offline Jaz

• Pony
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 07:24:07 pm »
OK then,

So save up around $40,000 - $60,000 and buy one local, or in the same state.

Anything I need to look for when I do buy a Mustang?
Most areas that would have rust?
Check if its Stolen or not?

ETC.....

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 08:48:58 pm »
Be patient and do your research while saving a bit more and by the time you are ready to buy you will know what you are getting for the money. In the mean time plenty of good people on this forum to help.

Offline Jaz

• Pony
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 09:00:36 pm »
Be patient and do your research while saving a bit more and by the time you are ready to buy you will know what you are getting for the money. In the mean time plenty of good people on this forum to help.

When you say research what do you mean?

Because I've been looking at stuff like this
- http://mustangs.about.com/od/buying/tp/Classic-Mustang-Buyer-Checklist.htm

What other type of research can I do?