1964 1/2 Spinner Hubcaps

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1964 1/2 Spinner Hubcaps  (Read 3236 times)

Offline bank1957

• Worked
  • Owner of the Oldest D Code Mustang Coupe in Aus
  • Name: Frank
1964 1/2 Spinner Hubcaps
« on: October 13, 2014, 01:36:46 pm »
Spent just over 8 hrs polishing up my 50 year 64 1/2 coupe's old hubcaps, spinner top and end caps. I believe that the hubcaps are stainless steel since they came up very well compared to what I started out with. But mind you the car had only done less than 43,000 original miles. Pic on left is what I started out with, and pic on right is after my work which I did whilst watching Bathurst yesterday in the garage and many beers.
Question I have with members, is that: does anyone know the paint colour code of the red used on the cap? As you can see form the photo, the white and blue stood the test of time, however the red paint has almost completely faded. The colour must have been faulty since over time it spread and ran all over the back of the cap.
Also what material was the spinner made from? Looks like chromed brass, and is not appealing due to its age. I tried to polish it with a good chrome cleaner but it got most of the crap off the chrome, but it looks like I may have to have it re-chromed.
Thus another question to members: Name and details of a respectable chrome plater in Brisbane that knows his stuff.

Newly polished hubcap face on the right below:

Newly polished hubcap back on the right below:

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
Re: 1964 1/2 Spinner Hubcaps
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 04:26:30 pm »
Me thinks the brass would just be part of the chroming process as it was back when it was a quality product  and you've just worn through it.
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline bank1957

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 05:39:55 pm »
Me thinks the brass would just be part of the chroming process as it was back when it was a quality product  and you've just worn through it.

Hey Pete are you able to answer the other questions that I raised ie red colour code and a chrome plating business in Brisbane?

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:09:01 pm »
Sorry mate cant help you there, so I'm going to dob shaunp in for the chrome plater and mert  may be able to help with the color.. cheers Pete.
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 10:47:59 am »
Early 60's Ford hubcap highlights were Rangoon Red (64.5 Mustang colour J). For small jobs most auto paint shops can make up a spray can.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 04:13:12 pm »
The centres and the spinners are available new (repro), probably cheaper than refinishing the old ones.

Offline bank1957

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:26:57 pm »
The centres and the spinners are available new (repro), probably cheaper than refinishing the old ones.

Yep they sure are cheaper, and you get what you pay for. The spinners are not the same quality and feel like a cheap knock off. The centres are probably better made than the original ones, bt I'm trying to get it as original as possible, so a bit of red on the back of the cap will work for me.