Buying a Mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Buying a Mustang  (Read 11285 times)

Offline rameilb

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Rameil
Buying a Mustang
« on: September 21, 2014, 11:33:09 am »
Hi All,

Having read through this forum a lot recently, I have finally decided to buy a mustang. I had a few questions and was hoping you could help:

1. I frequently go to the US, so I am able to inspect the car there and purchase. My questions is, am I able to then take the car to a importer based in the US to bring to Australia or does everything have to be done through them?

2. I have been looking at a number of cars (mainly through a few website (carsforsale.com and classiccars.com) and was wondering if anyone uses these sites? I am looking for a car that is completed restored or in good condition (I am not going to lie, I can barely change a tyre).

I have seen the below car, but am not sure if this is legit: 

http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars-for-sale/1967-ford-mustang-brooklyn-ny-233306955

I would have thought it would have been a lot more expensive, I understand it's only a kit, but does that price seem right?

I am looking to spend around 15K for the car, and am hoping that would get me a nice 66 or 67 mustang.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rameil

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Buying a Mustang
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:42:25 pm »
Hi and welcome  :thumb: . Now the 2 sites you are looking at  are full of scams be very careful ,I don't even bother looking at them .  Now that mustang you are looking at will be over 50 grand I would say .  Safer sites like e bay ,Craig's list ,Cars on line are a better and hopefully safer sites ,but you need to do your homework .   Once you have the clear title you can take it to a USA shipper ,but you have to get the Australian import approval before it is shipped . Others on here will give you more information as well . 15 ,000 US dollars will only get you a  very nice coupe not a fastback . Also I don't know how you could get that one in to Australia ,cars aren't aloud to be modified unless they were done  pre 1989 i think  .
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:14:29 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 01:22:18 pm »
Well it's the old story, shop around, buyer beware etc.
Quite frankly you need to really do your homework on every aspect of purchasing a vehicle overseas & importing it. Plus you need to get to know the 'Mustang world' really well if you're not already an informed car buff.
Personally, in your situation, I'd be looking at buying a car already compliant, registered & on the road here in Australia, plus with at least a certain amount of known history, receipts, photos of work done, etc.
Yes you may be lucky & buy well in the US & get it over here & on the road & save a bundle, but the potential - & more likely - also is to really come a gutser & end up with a major money pit & on-going headaches. There are plenty of horror stories. Plenty of scamsters around.
So go to car shows, meet Mustang Club members, get to know the cars, see what's around, get familiar with the scene; car people are friendly & love to talk about their cars. And if you don't immediately see some cars that turn your head, take your time, don't rush it. And you could take a look at whatever's available through this forum's advertisers too, on the RHS of the page.
Be very careful with 'kitted' cars like that Eleanor-styled car you tabled, a kit can easily hide all sorts of bodged-up stuff. Like rust - Mustangs can be shockers - & crash damage. The K$15 tag seems way too cheap too, red flag there.
But that aside, welcome to the Mustang world if you're planning to join us!

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 03:38:38 pm »
Another point, too. If you don't know your way around cars, then don't trust your own judgement. There are many "polished turds" out there that look really good, until they are on a hoist and closely examined. You need an independent, knowlegable person to either inspect or go with you to inspect the car. Shermatt on this forum is an Aussie based in the US and will perform this for you. I am sure there are others as well. It might be worth looking at Shermatts website to see what cars he is offering. He may have exactly what you are wanting.
Cheers, Ron B

Offline rameilb

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:21:50 pm »
Thanks for the replies and welcomes...

I had a look at Shermatt's website and they actually have something I am very interested in (65 Coupe for $16k).

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »
By the time you pay inspection costs, freight and shipping costs, Gst when it gets here, you will be up around low $20's I would expect.

You will find you will most likely get a better car, that's been sourced and is available here for around the same money, the price point your listing is for a very entry level car that will need work, for around $22k-25k, you will pick up a good driver quality car here in Oz, try just mustangs or mustangs of Melbourne who do this all the time, you will find you will get a better car, without the hassles.

If your not good with cars, don't waste your time inspecting them, as stated there is a lot of rubbish that has got fresh paint, you only have to look through the forum at the dodgy stuff the yanks do, roads signs to replace floors, 4x2 timber to replace chassis rails, rust that's been fibre glassed over and painted.

Try locally in Oz first.
Cheers
Keith

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
  • Name: George
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 08:12:34 pm »
http://www.shermatt.com/cars-available.html

Welcome, looks nice...if you want to experience the highs and lows of importing go for it...if you are like me who's goal was to find a nice cruiser for club runs and family outings then buy one that has already been imported by a reputable trader... All the beys with your acquisition....

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 08:34:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 10:33:21 pm »
rameil, i agree with all of the above comments. i spoke to a guy earlier tonite who said "i wish i knew back when i bought the car what i know now"
i commend you for jumping onto our forum and sounding out our experiences.
do not rush into it and more importantly dont let the 'cheaper price in the US' idea overide what you may pay for a good legitimate example here.
yes some guys on this forum have got some great cars straight from the US but most of these guys are well armed with the knowledge of what to look for.
i cant recall anyone saying they bought a mustang from a good source here in aus and got completely rogered, its just too small a market.
i said a good source, not a mustang in just cars mag, for example, from someone looking to flip a fresh import for a quick turnover.
i dont need to wish you good luck, just good judgement my friend.
griff

book of proverbs v65: "you cant polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 08:16:17 am »
Rameil ,were you talking 15,000 Aust dollars or US dollars .  To buy a nice 65 to 68 coupe in the USA you will have to pay 13 k to 15 k for a above average car ,and for that price it will be fully loaded . Then you have shipping cost around  $3,000 plus ,then gst on price of car then on road costs . Maybe $22k on the road give or take .

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 07:15:51 pm »

Have a look at this one don't know if it's still for sale though.....

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,24780.0.html
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline nhmustang

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Nick
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 06:52:27 pm »

Just buy one in Australia! It's here you can look at it! You don't need to wait 6 months! Support the local market otherwise you'll import one from the USA and never be able to sell it when you need to, and be left with something you think you got cheap but now appears to be worth nothing because everyone seems to think they can get a better one from yank land.

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 07:16:25 pm »
15K aint gonna get u far.
I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 02:02:38 pm »
Just buy one in Australia! It's here you can look at it! You don't need to wait 6 months! Support the local market otherwise you'll import one from the USA and never be able to sell it when you need to, and be left with something you think you got cheap but now appears to be worth nothing because everyone seems to think they can get a better one from yank land.

Couldn't agree more. Heaps of cheap coupes for sale in Oz.  Don't bother looking overseas.

Offline shelby_mustro

• Supercharged
  • Name: Ryan
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 05:33:27 pm »
Looks like a scam... I was over there when I bought mine in April. Paid $5000us for it was a runner and had fun driveing it around while I was over there but ended up needing everything with shipping and all costs aside it was about 9.5k landed.

I shipped through pts out of long beach George was realy hastel free he helped me out quite a bit with getting import papers for my other 67 coupe. It's for sale if you want a good solid project.

It's normaly best I think to do it your self and inspect the car before you buy it.
1965 Ford mustang coupe
hipo 4bbl 347 windsor v8
t5 5 speed manual
4 wheel power assisted brakes

Other cars
1967 mustang coupe 289 c4 red
1966 mustang convertible nightmist blue
1951 f1 chopped truck blown c4 black
1963 Xl falcon ute 200ci 3spd manual white

Offline rameilb

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 08:39:21 am »
Thanks everyone for the replies and info....really appreciate it.

I have had a look at a few on Shermatt's website and Facebook page and have decided to spend a little extra (or a lot extra) and get a fastback. Hoping I can get something for around 30-35k.

Offline ND69

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 09:26:36 am »
Welcome to the quest. Check out the local forums as well ,

http://qld.mustang.org.au/for-sale.html

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 09:29:00 am »
I think you'll find that even 35K is a bit short - at least 40 more like 45K for anything decent.
Fastbacks command a lot more $$$ than the hardtops.
There was a long discussion on this forum only about a week ago with someone wanting a '67 FB, one of the most sought after, have a read.

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,25276.0.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:31:52 am by 67FBGT »

Offline rameilb

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 11:55:56 am »

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 12:55:21 pm »
Good looking car. My only question is, could you buy a which fastback for a lot less and create a clone yourself for a lot less ?

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 01:46:24 pm »
There you go. 2 white fast backs for under 40k  :thumb:

Offline ultrablox

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Yuri
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 05:36:58 am »
A little offtop...
Did Ford officially import new mustangs (new = in S197 body)? On the ford.com.au I've seen only 2015 model (I don't like it :( ), but no references to older S197 models. Were they on sale earlier in ford official dealers?