Fuel problem with 302W

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Fuel problem with 302W  (Read 3419 times)

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
Fuel problem with 302W
« on: August 29, 2014, 01:11:53 pm »
My car's been sitting for some months, but with the Qld concours coming up I thought I'd better get it mobile.
But it won't start. No problems cranking over, but there's no fuel getting to the carb. Or even into the in-line fuel filter before the carb as that's dry.
The fuel line entering the engine bay has fuel in it, I managed to suck fuel through using a clear plastic tube, & there's at least 10L in the tank as I've just added that.
So it has to be the fuel pump, surely. The fuel pump is of unknown age & ancestry, it was on the engine when I bought it, so am quite happy to get a new one.
Can fuel pumps self-destruct internally? Is there a diaphragm or something that perishes?
Any advice please as to what pump - brand etc - best to get? The engine is a 302W, with a Holley 650 IIRC.
Your input would be much appreciated, thankyou!!!
John
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:15:24 pm by 67FBGT »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Fuel problem with 302W
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 03:59:37 pm »
The fuel bowl will be dry in the Holley ,you need to pour a little fuel down the carby a few times ,or put some fuel down the breather tube on the carby ,that will get the fuel pump working . I don't think it's the fuel pump but who knows .
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:13:28 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 05:39:09 pm »
My car's been sitting for some months, but with the Qld concours coming up I thought I'd better get it mobile.
But it won't start. No problems cranking over, but there's no fuel getting to the carb. Or even into the in-line fuel filter before the carb as that's dry.
The fuel line entering the engine bay has fuel in it, I managed to suck fuel through using a clear plastic tube, & there's at least 10L in the tank as I've just added that.
So it has to be the fuel pump, surely. The fuel pump is of unknown age & ancestry, it was on the engine when I bought it, so am quite happy to get a new one.
Can fuel pumps self-destruct internally? Is there a diaphragm or something that perishes?
Any advice please as to what pump - brand etc - best to get? The engine is a 302W, with a Holley 650 IIRC.
Your input would be much appreciated, thankyou!!!
John

John,
If you have fuel up to the pump yet have no fuel coming out in to the filter as you state,
I would agree and say you need a new fuel pump.
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline xpconnor

• Stallion
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 06:08:53 pm »
I had the same thing happen to me when the falcon sat for a month without being used and it was the fuel pump.

Disconnect the fuel line somewhere on the carby side of the pump and direct the line into a suitable container then get someone to crank the engine over. If there is no fuel coming out or it is a really piddly amount then it is probably the pump. Most auto part stores will have a replacement if you take the old one in with you but a concours one might be hard to get.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 06:31:45 pm »
Just remember fuel can go off now if kept for long periods.  It will change colour and go really gooey and won't pump.  disconnect the fuel feed line before the pump and see what comes out as well.  For fuels sitting around for long periods you can get a stabilizer which lengthens it's shelf life.

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 07:07:12 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll check out the pump this weekend, so it may have failed or could just be all gummed up by the sound of it. Thanks for your input.
Sounds like I may need to flush the fuel system through. I didn't realize that aging fuel went gummy, just thought it lost some of it's potency so to speak.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 07:13:40 pm »
1st try some fuel down the carby a few times ,not much just a little  at a time . One more thing is to push down the acc pump on the lh side of the carby at front and see what happens .

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 09:26:56 am »
Also, be aware that if the diaphragm in the FP has gone, it MAY be pumping fuel into the sump and diluting your oil. Thin oil isn't necessarily great for your motor, so do a precautionary oil change once you have it running if you end up replacing the fuel pump.

If you want a cheap fuel pump for your 302w then let me know, I have several in pieces and could put a good (but rebuildable in the future) one together for you for about $25.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:28:47 am by jiffy »
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 08:30:05 pm »
Thanks for all your advice - the fuel system was indeed dried out & a bit gummed up and I was able to pre-prime it all with fresh fuel starting at the carb as suggested, & the engine now fires up with gusto. So old fuel & - basically, my bad - lack of use caused the issue.
But the engine is due for an oil change so I'll check that the fuel pump isn't leaking fuel into the oil. Fuel pumps are easily obtained by mail-order thru eBay I see, & not expensive.
Thanks again for your wise words!

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 08:57:08 pm »
Glad to hear its going . If it needs a fuel pump and I don't think so you can buy one from bursons ,repco etc not off e bay . Before you fit it or try ask on here how to fit it ,it's simple but if not fitted correctly you can cause engine damage .