who would upgrade to led

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: who would upgrade to led  (Read 7095 times)

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
who would upgrade to led
« on: August 21, 2014, 08:15:55 pm »
Hi all
 just wondering who would upgrade to led lights e.g parking, brakes etc. is it a common practice to upgrade. or is it something a purest mustang owner would not do.
i thank you in advance for your feedback
jeff :burnout:

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Re: who would upgrade to led
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 08:31:45 pm »
I believe it is a safety issue. People driving behind do not immediately realise that the flashing red light is the indicator. After nearly being rear ended a couple of times and also a round of abuse from an idiot behind me - I bit the bullet and bought a set of rear LED lights from Custom Mustangs. I regard these to be the best safety upgrade to the car so far.

Installation took a couple of hours on the 69 Grande and the lights have been faultless for the 3 years they have been on the car.

Here are some photos I took of the installation -

Rocket.

Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:05:05 pm »
 :agree:

I did the same for my 66, after driving in Sydney, drivers just don't understand the red flashing tail light, it makes for interesting driving in wet and in traffic.

I upgraded both front and rears to LED, and they are great, best upgrade you can do.

Cheers
Keith

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:54:26 pm »
I was following my son home one sunny day and could hardly see the stop lights.
Fitting LED's is the perfect upgrade because they plug into the existing socket requiring no modifications and can be easily returned to stock if needed.

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 06:35:13 am »
I like the led lights, but concerned that people are apparently confused by the flashing red indicator. One would think that, if driving, and a car in front displays any sort of red light, that you would slow down?
IMG

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 09:00:32 am »
I like the led lights, but concerned that people are apparently confused by the flashing red indicator. One would think that, if driving, and a car in front displays any sort of red light, that you would slow down?

That would be common sense. But do many people use it?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 09:58:29 am »
No they don't, just crash into the back of you and look at who they can sue cause no way was it their fault!
IMG

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 10:27:25 am »
I believe it is a safety issue. People driving behind do not immediately realise that the flashing red light is the indicator.

I thought this was only the case when you get your reverse lights changed to indicator lights. Being below the bumper bar I can see how someone up close behind you may not see below the bumper bar and see your reverse lights flashing but they will be behind you and stationary.

Personally I think it's the other way around, someone who isn't paying attention hits you, then realises you have red blinkers and then makes up the red blinker as an excuse.

Think about it, when you turn you first apply brakes and brake lights are the same on every car, if you are stopped with the blinker on, you also have the brake lights on and having one flashing is even more obvious.

My guess is if you look at the number of cars hit from behind you'll see US cars in Aus. are not in any greater percentage; it's very common to get hit from behind regardless of what colour your blinker is.

By changing to LED and making your brake lights brighter may make them more noticeable and I can see how this would make it safer.

s

Offline thruster

• Worked
  • Name: John.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 10:53:03 am »
So David with your back ground could you tell us what would be the legality's involved in such an incident as I know that my car has been fully inspected and has passed so I am legally allowed to be on the road as any other would but if they try to pull the US blinker caper where would we stand? just curious  :thumb:

Cheers John.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 11:16:54 am »
my car has been fully inspected and has passed so I am legally allowed to be on the road

^ This!

You would not be at fault.
I think if there was any increased danger the authorities would get us all to change to orange blinkers. In almost all rear enders the person behind is at fault for not leaving adequate distance to brake in time.

Personally if I were to upgrade I'd get sequential blinkers, it leaves the car looking original.

http://youtu.be/7mQZKKFWPW4

This one has a rapid fire brake light.

http://youtu.be/pqcYxyseC6I

s
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:28:55 am by StephenSLR »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 11:41:20 am »

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 03:10:45 pm »
Stephen we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

In my opinion sequential lights could just add to the confusion. In SA we undoubtedly have the worst drivers in this country. So I want lights that are immediately recognisable by those driving behind.

Not worried in the least about being legally in the right if somebody runs up my clacker. I much prefer a straight car.

A lot of rear enders happen when cars are stationary in traffic waiting to do a right hand turn. Legally the car waiting to turn is doing the right thing, but in my opinion it is much safer to keep going till there is a turn in where you are not impeding other traffic. I regularly drive another 1 or 2 klms to find such a turn in and make a u turn. By doing this I have had very few crashes in my driving career. I call it driving smarter/ defensive driving.

Rocket.

Offline Joe 70

• Stallion
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 03:13:49 pm »
Hi Rod,

just looking on the Custom Mustangs site and lots of different tail light options.  Do you remember which one you used, and did you also change the reflector in the housing to an amber one for the indicators?

Cheers,
Joe.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 03:26:57 pm »
In SA we undoubtedly have the worst drivers in this country. So I want lights that are immediately recognisable by those driving behind.

These worst drivers will still drive into you regardless of what system you are running.

In my opinion sequential lights could just add to the confusion.

Red blinkers, sequential blinkers, orange blinkers; there is no confusion, it's an urban myth, the worst drivers you mention will pull every excuse in the book to avoid blame.

A lot of rear enders happen when cars are stationary in traffic waiting to do a right hand turn.

These stationary cars have orange blinkers; so what poor excuse do the offenders use in those cases?

s
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:33:50 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 03:47:34 pm »
I recently changed all the lights on the Jeep because off road the old filaments get a pounding and normally don't have the strength to hang on, whereas the new l.e.d-s last a treat.

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 04:07:50 pm »
there seems to be a lack of people selling here in australia. unless you pay a small fortune for them

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 04:13:44 pm »
there seems to be a lack of people selling here in Australia. unless you pay a small fortune for them

Welcome to Australia!

s

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 05:47:00 pm »
Hi Rod,

just looking on the Custom Mustangs site and lots of different tail light options.  Do you remember which one you used, and did you also change the reflector in the housing to an amber one for the indicators?

Cheers,
Joe.

Hi Joe, Here is a Link to the kit I purchased from Custom Mustangs Ebay Site for the 69 coupe

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mustang-Amber-Tail-Light-LED-69-Click-Flasher-Kit-NEW-/280634558503?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41571f8827

The kit included the Amber Lenses for the indicators.

But your car is a 1970 so I think you would need a different kit.

Maybe give Stef a ring at Custom Mustangs and check it out with him. He is a top bloke.

Even though the Ad states 15 minutes for the installation - take that with a grain of salt. I reckon 2 hours is closer to the mark. :smile01:

I also changed the front indicator/park lights to LED at the same time. They were cheap as chips.

Rocket.

EDIT Found the kit to suit a 1970

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mustang-Amber-Tail-Light-LED-70-Click-Flasher-Kit-NEW-/280634561535?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41571f93ff

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:52:27 pm by rocket »

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 05:47:21 pm »
Stephen SLR is right. - always the fault of the driver who rear ends you. All drivers have a legal responsibility to leave sufficient distance between themselves and the car in front such that they can stop  in Time in the event of an emergency braking situation.

My comment was tongue in cheek about our tendency to follow the USA with suing everyone mixed with this ever seemingly growing attitude of "it's not my fault I wasn't hugged enough as a baby/the kid in second grade stole my lunch" etc. seems most of the younger generation are always able to find something or someone to blame for their errors.

As I say to my guys at work "if you stuff up, own up" we tolerate mistakes, not lying.
IMG

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 07:22:53 pm »
I bought mine from Mustang Project - plenty of options and I thought reasonably priced. Good service as well.  :thumb:

http://www.mustangproject.com/

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 08:14:57 pm »
I went with the scott drake 3 lamp upgrade kit for the rear on the 67 , very simple to fit and places a lamp behind each individual lense and makes for very bright tail/stop lights and standard lamps in the reverse and parker/front indicators.
And H4 halogen head lights as the AAW wiring kit comes set up with relays to upgrade .
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline Bluedog

• Thoroughbred
  • GGT69
  • Name: Glenn
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 08:17:07 pm »
Yep, both of my Stangs all LED including dash lights and bonnet indicator lights, would not go back to bulbs.

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 12:16:36 am »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mustang-Tail-Light-Sequential-LED-64-65-66-GT-350-Shelby-No-Wiring-Mods-Needed-/280916056954?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4167e6db7a

I was thinking of this after reading what you guys have said best i go see my mates at Custom mustangs ....I should have shares in there business lol
My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline Joe 70

• Stallion
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 11:12:36 am »
Thanks heaps Rod, much appreciated.

I'll definitely check out those links.

Cheers,

Joe.