Lowering a 65 Mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Lowering a 65 Mustang  (Read 46040 times)

Offline businesstrader

• Worked
Re: Lowering a 65 Mustang
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 07:56:36 pm »
Getting them reset would take longer than buying new reverse eye I would imagine. Would it be cheaper to buy reverse eye compared to resetting?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 08:04:51 pm »
Getting them reset would take longer than buying new reverse eye I would imagine. Would it be cheaper to buy reverse eye compared to resetting?

No they would be more expensive. but it lowers the car by having the shackle/ front bolt eyes on the other side of the spring rather then pressing standard springs flat, the eyes are on the bottom of the spring not the top.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 08:06:43 pm »
So if they are not low enough you can then have them scragged lower and the still have some curve in them.

Offline businesstrader

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 08:11:12 pm »
ah got it. I heading down to pedders  tomoz so I'll see what happens.

Offline businesstrader

• Worked
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 02:30:23 pm »
So my car is booked in today today to get lowered. King springs all around.

Is it worth keeping the old ones and trying to sell them?

Offline Ang1965

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 05:09:38 pm »

Is it worth keeping the old ones and trying to sell them?

Probably worth more as scrap metal, but always worth a try on ebay.. look forward to seeing pics when done. Who's doing the lowering for you?

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 05:32:20 pm »
What springs did you end up getting, post some pics once you get it back, I'm interested to see the difference.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 05:34:49 pm »
A question to Shaun & other gurus out there:

Years ago, I had my rear leaves reset with extra leaf added. Just wondering how that affects rear handling & grip? My car is quite tail happy which really concerns me. I know the cheese-cutter tyres don't help but wondering if the stiffer rear springs & heavy duty Gabriel gas shocks are contributing to my problem. Would I be better off with a new set of reverse eyes & standard hydraulic shocks? Would a softer shock alone help? I'd love to hear some opinions.

Evan.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 06:20:06 pm »
A question to Shaun & other gurus out there:

Years ago, I had my rear leaves reset with extra leaf added. Just wondering how that affects rear handling & grip? My car is quite tail happy which really concerns me. I know the cheese-cutter tyres don't help but wondering if the stiffer rear springs & heavy duty Gabriel gas shocks are contributing to my problem. Would I be better off with a new set of reverse eyes & standard hydraulic shocks? Would a softer shock alone help? I'd love to hear some opinions.

Evan.

Drop the front tyre pressure as a first option, if that fails you need to stiffen the front end, bigger bar is the easy option. More toe in may help as well. But I suspect the rear is too stiff for the front and that is the issue.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 06:41:49 pm »
The front is pretty firm Shaun. Running a 1" lowered spring (labelled Mustang GT spring), 1" UCA drop, KYB gas shocks, 1" sway bar & export brace. It corners pretty flat considering the stocky tyres. I know they're super light in the rear which is why I'm questioning the beefed up springs & heavy duty shocks. The rear has virtually no give when you try to bounce it.

Evan.

Offline businesstrader

• Worked
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 06:48:47 pm »
Probably worth more as scrap metal, but always worth a try on ebay.. look forward to seeing pics when done. Who's doing the lowering for you?

Sydney Suspension. They came highly recommended and they just happen to be local to me.

Offline businesstrader

• Worked
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 06:49:54 pm »
What springs did you end up getting, post some pics once you get it back, I'm interested to see the difference.

King Springs. Not sure which ones exactly as I left that up to the experts.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 07:01:31 pm »
The front is pretty firm Shaun. Running a 1" lowered spring (labelled Mustang GT spring), 1" UCA drop, KYB gas shocks, 1" sway bar & export brace. It corners pretty flat considering the stocky tyres. I know they're super light in the rear which is why I'm questioning the beefed up springs & heavy duty shocks. The rear has virtually no give when you try to bounce it.

Evan.

So then you need to soften the rear, some standard type reverse eyes may help, or softer shocks. try less air in the front first it's free. lowering the back will also help.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:05:01 pm by shaunp »

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 07:07:33 pm »
Thanks mate, will try.

Offline Ang1965

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 10:59:11 am »
Sydney Suspension. They came highly recommended and they just happen to be local to me.

The guys at Sydney Suspension know their stuff..good bunch of guys. I was in their last week and they mentioned they had a blue mustang coming in this week to be lowered ( thought it might be yours).. They really love your car. One of them was telling me how your wife  surprised you with the delivery of your car, great story .. I'm back at Sydney Suspension this week for a wheel alignment having just lowered the front and also performing UCA drop.

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 02:06:16 pm »
Have we got any pics of the finished product yet?

Offline businesstrader

• Worked
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 02:09:28 pm »
The guys at Sydney Suspension know their stuff..good bunch of guys. I was in their last week and they mentioned they had a blue mustang coming in this week to be lowered ( thought it might be yours).. They really love your car. One of them was telling me how your wife  surprised you with the delivery of your car, great story .. I'm back at Sydney Suspension this week for a wheel alignment having just lowered the front and also performing UCA drop.

Lol

Yeah I've got a champion wife!

Looks like I'm getting reverse eye in the back and they have just finished the front after some mucking around to get it level.

Dean and the team have been keeping me updated during the process!

With a bit of luck I should be getting it back tomoz (hopefully).

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 11:45:18 pm »
i had my ute done there when they were trading as wholesale suspension.
theyve got a good setup.
ask them what king springs they used for yours, im interested to see.
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline thruster

• Worked
  • Name: John.
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2014, 06:45:18 am »
Lol

Yeah I've got a champion wife!

Looks like I'm getting reverse eye in the back and they have just finished the front after some mucking around to get it level.

Dean and the team have been keeping me updated during the process!

With a bit of luck I should be getting it back tomoz (hopefully).

So are we going to see your pride and joy  on Sunday at Penrith in the flesh?   :smile01:

Offline thruster

• Worked
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2014, 06:47:52 am »
Sorry mate, I'm talking about your car not your wife LOL!.......Um not that there's anything wrong with bringing her along as well ....
 Um I think I will put my foot back in my mouth now  :grin:

Offline businesstrader

• Worked
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2014, 07:58:10 am »
Sorry mate, I'm talking about your car not your wife LOL!.......Um not that there's anything wrong with bringing her along as well ....
 Um I think I will put my foot back in my mouth now  :grin:

Ive actually got my young blokes footy presso on Sunday. What time does it start down at panthers?

Offline thruster

• Worked
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2014, 03:38:25 pm »
Ive actually got my young blokes footy presso on Sunday. What time does it start down at panthers?

It starts at 8am and is done by 10am,are you local to Penrith ? :smile01:

Offline businesstrader

• Worked
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2014, 03:52:39 pm »
Yeah I live in Penrith, so I might be able to get down there for an hour. If not, I'll just have to wait for the next one. 

Offline HAMBURGLAR

• Worked
  • I NEED MORE MONEY
  • Name: mark
  • Car: 66 A code fastback 6R09A
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2014, 04:56:46 pm »
Damn that's low? Any pics so I can get an indication what it looks like at that height?

To be honest I just cruise in my coupe, not really a burnout guy........ But good to know. For an extra $200 I can get the springs reset.
hey champ I put the reverse eye 5 leaf springs plus a 1 inch lowering block and I would still like to go another inch. My tyres are 205/70/14 so no chance of rubbing.
66 A code fastback 289w , t5 , 3.8truetrak.
56 F100 Deluxe custom cab. Major frame off resto. 347w , AOD , Custom 9inch , 3.7 powertrax , IFS , Parallel 4 link rear. Airbags , Low enough to kill ants. Still in progress.

Offline businesstrader

• Worked
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2014, 05:49:10 pm »
Here it is!

30mm off the front and 60mm off the rear.