Pomona swap meet august 10th, money or cheques.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Pomona swap meet august 10th, money or cheques.  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Jpr777

• L Plates
  • Love my mustangs
  • Name: Jean-Pierre
Pomona swap meet august 10th, money or cheques.
« on: July 11, 2014, 08:16:03 am »
 :flag:
Hi guys, I'm going to Ponoma swap meet in august but are having a horrid time trying to sort out the best way to get cash to the USA to take to the swap meet.
I have been told if I declare the $40k that I'm taking that at us customs I will be taxed? Is that true how much?

I can't seem to open a bank account there without proof of an address, travellers checks go to $500 dollars so I would have a wad of paper, and bank checks take 72 hours to clear, and I'm going to be there two days before.

Has anyone been in this situation before?, and what have you done.
Thanks heaps in Advance.

Offline ScottW

• Worked
  • Fence Sitter
Re: Pomona swap meet august 10th, money or cheques.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 10:20:38 pm »
Can't help you on the cash front, but my father went to Pamona last year.  Wasn't impressed.
 Why would you try sell a car at a swap meet?  Because you want someone to buy it then and there, where they can't give it a good going over or test drive easily.

Lots of average cars with shiny new paint too.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Pomona swap meet august 10th, money or cheques.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 09:28:53 am »
It's not that hard ,take as much as you want ,but you have to declare it he and there . Also have proof of it coming out of your account here ,and  for customs in the USA ,have a reason for having the money on you .take the Pomona swap meet details with you and tell them you are here to buy a Classic car .dont take to much to the swap ,only enough for a good deposit ,then pay later and pay at a bank etc .make sure they have a clear title to the car with them or no deal .pomona has a lot of crap but you never know and get there very early on Sunday ,go sat arvo as well .get onto socalcarculture.com and have a look .