oil leak

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: oil leak  (Read 3330 times)

Offline whitehorse

• Pony
  • I'm new here
oil leak
« on: July 03, 2014, 07:57:36 pm »
Hi all I was looking for some advice I bought a 66 fastback with a 289 about 4 months ago and recently noticed have a slight leak from front of engine I believe it may be the front seal or front of oil sump but what I have noticed is a lot of oil spray on the passenger side undercarriage of engine bay after a drive, is it possible that this much oil is spewing out or is there a bigger problem.
Oh I have also noticed 4 of the sump screws have a bit of oil on them but no oil anywhere else on sump, has anyone had this problem or can  help me out.

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
Re: oil leak
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 08:17:31 pm »
It's probably just the sump gasket, or perhaps those few bolts at the front were not tightened up enough or have come loose. The oil on the passenger's side will probably be just because the fan is blowing the dripping oil around as you drive. It will look like a lot more oil has leaked out than really has after it has been spread around..

I would clean it all up with some paper towel or an old rag so that there isn't any oil on the engine (or as little as possible) and then start it up, let it get up to temperature and run for a few minutes, then shut it off and have a look at where the oil is..

I tend to keep a piece of cardboard under the front of my car so that I can see any leaks on the floor, and I make sure to clean it all off the engine when they do appear; Just makes it easier to see new ones..
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:21:03 pm by JT_1994 »
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline whitehorse

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 09:29:05 pm »
Thanks JT for the info will give it a go and see what happens.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:33:03 pm »
When you say passenger side you are talking a lhd car right .

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:06:28 am »
Most likely the timing cover seal on the balancer, but also check the oil pressure sender is not leaking or the fuel pump.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:17:36 am »
Shaun thats why i asked if it was lhd so i could work out which side he was talking about .Could be the oil filter also .

Offline whitehorse

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 07:35:35 pm »
Ok guys so its definitely not the sump gasket it seems it could be timing cover seal as its dripping on my tranny line under harmonic balancer, am I correct with this ?

Offline whitehorse

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 07:39:02 pm »
Also oil pressure sender is not leaking however oil pressure gauge does fluctuate between quarter and just over have when driving by the way car is right hand drive so oil been sprayed by fan on drivers side

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 01:51:15 pm »
I recently went through a couple oil leak fixes.

Firstly i was having oil dripping from under the front of the sump/harmonic balancer, but couldn't quite pick where. With the engine running the oil on the harmonic balancer would spray a nice line on the ground, due to the clockwise rotation obviously. I thought it would be crank seal, so pulled it apart and it surely was. The seal itself wasn't tooooo bad, but where it seats on the balancer, it had worn a groove into the balancer snout over time, and eventually leaked. If you are going to replace the seal, just be aware that you'll either need a sleeve that slips onto the balancer to make it smooth again(comes in most of the crank seal kits and a pain to fit) or, replace the balancer, which is what i did because it had definitely seen better days.
Seating the seal correctly is another issue, as it has to be centre. I can let you know how I did if you like, no leaks so far(6 months).

Anyway, after i put everything back together i stupidly didn't put a new half moon seal on the pan/timing cover. So it leaked from there, just under the balancer, and it only left a small pool of oil, never in a straight line pattern or on anything in the engine bay.

So basically if it is leaking from the front and leaving an east/west spray pattern on the ground when running or spraying your engine bay, it is definitely leaking into the balancer, which will 99% be your crank seal, unless it is a rarity like the timing cover gasket or so, but you should be able to visually see the leak if it was that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:53:05 pm by Husky65 »

Offline whitehorse

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 08:43:55 pm »
Thanks it definitely one of the two  ill clean it up and give it another check on the week end,

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 09:08:53 pm »
You can put a Speedi sleeve on the balancer when you do the seal if it's grooved but if it's an old engine the balancer may be perished in the damper rubber anyway. Sometimes it's better just to replace them.

Offline whitehorse

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 09:54:48 pm »
Ok so the end result of my oil leak is that I dumped the oil as I don't know what the mechanic put in seemed like the wrong type for the car and replaced it with 20w - 50 as recommended by a couple of fellow pony owners and presto oil leak has stoped. Have driven the car a Couple of times and all good so far.