QLD LO8 seat belt laws .

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: QLD LO8 seat belt laws .  (Read 13059 times)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
QLD LO8 seat belt laws .
« on: May 12, 2014, 07:58:33 pm »
New laws for seat belts for pre 1972 cars ,looks like we can leave the US belts in if they are in good condition .hmm .And if no seat belts fitted from factory thats the way you leave it .hmm .

Offline nicco

• Thoroughbred
    • http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Nicks67s/
Re: QLD LO8 seat belt laws .
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 09:13:16 pm »
Will baby seat anchors still be required? Wonder what the better way to go will be, make it safe before ergo or get it rego'd and then upgrade the safety.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 09:21:29 pm »
I dont know ,i have not read it all yet .And i dont know if its a good thing or not .The thing is some older cars not just mustangs are not designed for seat belts .A lot of older cars only had lap belts if any at all .

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:30:40 pm »
New laws for seat belts for pre 1972 cars ,looks like we can leave the US belts in if they are in good condition .hmm .And if no seat belts fitted from factory thats the way you leave it .hmm .

I heard this Friday from a low volume importer with an ear in the Govt.
What's your source ... is it correct?
Peter.

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 11:35:17 pm »
New seat belt rules take affect 1/7/14
Beats me why they would relax something like this. Just stupid if you ask me but then maybe I am????

Offline ScottW

• Worked
  • Fence Sitter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 08:08:59 am »
Interesting.  I wonder what other changes there are.  I still have to get my 73 vette complied (which I have had since 2006 and never finished) but I already have the 3 point seatbelts.

Hopefully we see more changes along the lines of the NZ import scheme where certain cars can be imported and remain LHD.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/12a/docs/12a-lhd-light-veh.pdf

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 01:28:43 pm »
Sorry guys i put before 1974 its before  1st Jan 1972 .No talk about child restraints .Also they say from 1st June 2014 .

Offline Gallop

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 12:51:39 pm »
The link below is from the Department of Transport and Main Roads, QLD

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/busind/accreditations/Approved%20person%20scheme/schemechangesandupdates.pdf

The third item on page one outlines "Changes to seatbelt requirements for pre-1972 imported vehicles".

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 03:26:58 pm »
I understand why they would allow older cars to stay on the road without safety mods, it would be unrealistic to expect that all cars get fitted with every new safety feature known to man...
That said, it would be silly to drive an old car all the time if it didn't have proper seat belts..
If you're only driving it on weekends, two or three times a month or even less? It's may not be a huge problem having lap belts..

My car is on a club permit, so I only drive it once a week at most. It could be 2 or even 3 weeks between drives and for the time being it only has lap belts in the front (none at all in the back), I want to get them upgraded, but I drive carefully to protect the car (and it's new paint-job) anyway, so for now I don't let it bother me...
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline ScottW

• Worked
  • Fence Sitter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 04:59:17 pm »
If you're only driving it on weekends, two or three times a month or even less? It's may not be a huge problem having lap belts..

My car is on a club permit, so I only drive it once a week at most. It could be 2 or even 3 weeks between drives and for the time being it only has lap belts in the front (none at all in the back), I want to get them upgraded, but I drive carefully to protect the car (and it's new paint-job) anyway, so for now I don't let it bother me...

The drunk/inattentive/inexperienced driver coming the other way is the reason you need decent seatbelts.  I drive my car more than once and come next weekend, it's be serving daily driver duties.  I have retractable three points in the front, and fixed 3 points in the rear.  A lap belt won't stop your head and torso from moving forward in a crash.

My car my choice, but I'm happy to have decent belts.  It's like motorcyclists purchasing a helmet.  If you only have a $100 head, buy a $100 helmet.

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 05:41:35 pm »
The drunk/inattentive/inexperienced driver coming the other way is the reason you need decent seatbelts.

Of course you can't control what other people do, but you need to look out for them regardless..
I've had a few near-misses, but thankfully was paying enough attention to see it happening with enough time to prevent a collision - They were all other people's fault because they were not paying attention or did not see me coming.

It is the owner / driver's choice, I can understand why some people may not see it as 100% necessary if they aren't using the car as a daily drive. Although I agree that 3pt retracting belts should be something anyone would have fitted (if not already) for piece of mind and occupant safety, regardless of how often / far they drive, and I am also planning to have 3pt belts installed in my car.
But if the car is only driven once or twice a month (at most) it may not be such a high priority for some. - Why not let them decide for themselves?
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 08:45:29 pm »
This is a step forward in a usually over regulated system. Common sense is the winner as the RTA is not noted for it. Many a good set of period correct seat belts have been torn out and discarded (I still kept mine) for the sake of safety regulations in the mind numbing LO2 QLD laws, to be replaced with cheap imported but approved belts. A shame as my old belts look like you could tow the Titanic with them. The other regretful thing is the carnage that has happened in the past with holes drilled, plates tacked in , all in the name of saving our souls. The amount of backyard engineers who decided to attach the seatbelt runner from the roof only to have it hang the exiting rear passenger , is disgraceful.  Now I will step off my box for a moment as I too am happy with my retrackable 3 point belts fitted to my 66 even though the cheap plactic release clip annoys me every time I look at it. So cheers to the RTA boffens for removing some of the unnessesary red tape from an over burdened system.   I should belt up now.... 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:00:49 pm by 66FBK »
He, with the most toys wins.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 09:31:54 pm »
I am so use to getting into all cars and putting on my seat belt ,so i am sticking with them .I also go the the drags and other race tracks ,no seat belts or just a lap belt ,  no track time .The cops will have a field day pulling these old cars over if you dont have your belt on .You still have to change the belts if built after 1/1/1972 .stupid as american cars had 3 point seat belts fitted then and you have change them .

Offline Ray68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 06:28:08 pm »
I recently had my 68 complianced for LO8. Lap sash seat belts front and back as well as child restraints. Passed no problems at all. I'm pretty sure the requirement now is lap sash front and back with child restraints. Front belts must be self retracting and all need to have the full Australian standards visible on the belts. Mine is complianced LO8 as a four seater.

Ray
68 Coupe
351W, mild cam, Performer intake
FMX tranny
9" diff
Petronix Ignitor III Ignition
Hedman Elite headers
24" Alloy radiator - twin thermos

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 06:48:48 pm »
Ray68 yes that was the law and still is ,but it changes soon as stated above .

Offline Ray68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 07:08:28 pm »
My bad. Just read the changes from 1 June. Seems crazy. Still glad I put full lap sash belts in.
68 Coupe
351W, mild cam, Performer intake
FMX tranny
9" diff
Petronix Ignitor III Ignition
Hedman Elite headers
24" Alloy radiator - twin thermos

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 07:22:36 pm »
I know i said the 1st june but it seems to be the 1st of July .And i like my seat belts just the way they are also .

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 05:11:27 pm »
Step backwards I reckon can't see why you would not want new belts in an old, car, it's the only safety you have. Everyone is happy to spend money on stuff like wheels and bling stuff but not some thing like belts I don't get it.