Is the cost of shipping parts from the US getting out of hand?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Is the cost of shipping parts from the US getting out of hand?  (Read 4736 times)

Offline ScottW

• Worked
  • Fence Sitter
I've been emailing one of the US vendors about prices for a disc brake set-up for my T-code.
The full kit including new spindles and the V8 steering kit came in at a good price, however the shipping price was $700.
Even the vendor commented that it was ridiculously high and general shipping costs within the US have skyrocketed in the past 3 years.

I know the brake parts are heavy, but I've been bringing parts over for my vette for years, and a fair few bits for the mustang also, but never anything this bad.

USPS have generally been pretty good, but now it looks like I need to find a better option.  Any ideas?

Offline jademustang

• Worked
Have you tried a local supplier / dealer for the parts? or shipporter ? add on the right hand side of the page

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Re: Is the cost of shipping parts from the US getting out of hand?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:39:17 pm »
Find a good local importer. My local guy is easy to deal with and great on price. Sure you have to wait 6-8 weeks or so. But the last time I got quoted on a bulky part, over $400 for an intake, ended up costing me $40 by slow boat.  Have never bothered asking about a price again. I just send an email and tell him what is coming to his warehouse and then wait for him to tell me it is in Australia.

Aus Post seems to be having a nice price rise every 6 months or so too. They recently just jumped again. Pretty much everything cost $10-$20 to post now.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline ACT stang lover

• Stallion
  • MOCA ACT Member
  • Name: Andrew
I got quoted $450 for my brake set from the US, ended up using an intermediary US to Aus importer person who only cost me probably $300 all up, although I never really worked out the exact cost in dollars and cents

Offline ScottW

• Worked
  • Fence Sitter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 09:52:47 am »
I have talked to the local mustang parts supplier.  On more elaborate purchases I tend to get prices from the US as well for a comparison.  In this case, the parts price is good, just the shipping was over the top.

I have used importers previously, however many don't want eh hassle of small parts consignments mixed inn with their containers.  I'll have to try find a good one who is local.

Offline USAtoAUS

• Stallion
    • www.usatoaus.com
We don't care about weight only cubic. I would guess about A$200 - A$250 from depot to port including clearances. You will have to pay GST. We have an automated freight system and would love to ship your goods. As you are on the Gold Coast we will even collect them from the port and bring them half way to the coast (Yatala area) for you to collect at your convenience!
Shipping from the USAtoAUS (BRI - FRE - MEL - SYD)
www.USAtoAUS.com

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 07:42:38 pm »
I've been emailing one of the US vendors about prices for a disc brake set-up for my T-code.
The full kit including new spindles and the V8 steering kit came in at a good price, however the shipping price was $700.
Even the vendor commented that it was ridiculously high and general shipping costs within the US have skyrocketed in the past 3 years.

I know the brake parts are heavy, but I've been bringing parts over for my vette for years, and a fair few bits for the mustang also, but never anything this bad.

USPS have generally been pretty good, but now it looks like I need to find a better option.  Any ideas?

See if you can get it from Summit racing, their freight is pretty good.  I got an Exhaust system in a really big box 2 man lift for a about $350 shipping.