will after market climate control A/C fit into RHD converted 65's

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: will after market climate control A/C fit into RHD converted 65's  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Stang 65

• Stallion
I am considering converting my 65 to RHD , there is much to research beforehand. one is weather some of the modern AC will fit.

i had found a few different brands and sellers of A/C units, the AC's that replace the heater box sound like they work far more efficiently than reconditioned original units or reproduction of the same with added benefit of also heating (are they true 'climate control'? as in what fairlanes etc use from the 90's on, where you set a temp (in degrees) and basically just leave it alone. i'm not sure i see that provision on these units but none the less i assume they are effective units. i had a bunch of pages open for all the different brands but i've lost them now, arrg!. however i think i read somewhere that at least one of them would not fit in a RHD converted car? not sure which brand it was now (although the basic behind dash box appears much the same on all of them but i did see some paragraph where one brand/maker (at a guess vintage air) offered to customise to some degree, i remember reading something about if the firewall was flat or not they could make one to fit.

there are lots of people with converted RHD 65's around so i thought perhaps some light could be shed on it..

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:53:49 pm by Stang 65 »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: will after market climate control A/C fit into RHD converted 65's
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 07:42:38 pm »
The answer is yes, Vintage Air you can just reverse the top section  or do I mean flip the bottom section. I reckon Big Al could help you out here as well.

Offline Stang 65

• Stallion
thank you for your answer shaunp, but i am afraid i don't understand the details of it at the moment. actually not much at all sorry. i've been looking into it for a little while with no results as yet. i have contacted some companies but as yet (even after some time) have not had a reply except them saying they have received my question and will get back to me .

here are a couple of pics, from their instructions. i am wondering if from these you have clearer view to describing the issues at hand. so far as i can tell the unit can not be flipped (no doubt someone has done it but it isn't easy to see how).

actually i haven trying to upload pics from screen saves for a while now but they dot seem to appear in preview , so i'll try this post with with one pic to see if comes out

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
As u are in Adelaide, u can try giving this guy a ring.
Cool Air
Mansfield Park
Jim Gerazounis
0408 815190

I havent used him, but he was recommended to me by other Mustang owners, to install air conditioning.
HTH.
I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: will after market climate control A/C fit into RHD converted 65's
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 02:55:40 pm »
One of the guys on here "Boofhead" has just done/had this done not sure which one he used, basically just turned it back wards. Also fitted a 67 type vent above the radio and welded some eye ball vents down low on the ends of the dash similar to a 67 would have looks great. I'm also certain the Vintage Air 67 one is reversible and you can ask them not to glue the top part of the unit one so it's easier to reverse.  I've also seen a holden Commodore unit used, VN I think.