Anyone got a custom center console?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Anyone got a custom center console?  (Read 12950 times)

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
Anyone got a custom center console?
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:35:01 pm »
I'm thinking about making my own (full length) center console for my coupe and I wanted to get some ideas off people who've done it already..

I'm thinking of making a frame out of MDF (chipboard), padding it, then covering it in black vinyl to match the seats..
Maybe with an aluminium insert down the middle, similar to the originals...
The chipboard and foam should be easy enough to track down, but does anybody know where I might be able to find some decent size sheets of vinyl that would match the grain of the factory seats?

I'm thinking something like this... But with just aluminium and black vinyl as I already have the deluxe, aluminium dash inserts fitted and I don't want to have to refit the stereo as it fits nicely where it is now..

I would like to make the console myself so that I don't have to spend quite so much on a repro one, I think I could do a good enough job of making a custom one that it would look nice and not too out of place, and knowing I'd actually made it myself instead of buying one and spending half an hour or so to install it would be a lot more satisfying every time I got in for a drive..
I'm not quite sure how I would get it to stay in place around corners though, I think velcro might not be enough, perhaps a bracket in the floor that could be accessed through a compartment in the top?

Any advice or ideas people may have about designs or ways I could make / fasten it would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:36:38 pm by JT_1994 »
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
Re: Anyone got a custom center console?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 03:25:35 pm »
JT, I just finished making a short console for my '68 coupe and I had to make it twice as the first was made of material too heavy to flex to the shape. That was 6mm ply. Attempt no 2 was better as it is made from 3mm ply. To get it to fit, you will NEED to have access to an original for 2 reasons
Reason 1... The console is lower on the left (original driver's side than on the right.
reason 2...  the bottom of the console is shaped with fillets to fit the contour of the tunnel, which is not exactly symmetrical, so you need to trace around the base to get the shape. I hope this helps and good luck because I have gotten a lot of satisfaction from mine. You could also get a cruiser console to fill your requirements.
Cheers, Ron B
 PS..I glued the padding to the sides, then the vinyl, then stapled the edge and put rubber edge grip in place..purchased at Clark Rubber for about 20 bucks. real neat and looks good, too.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:28:52 pm by Ron Beckhaus »

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:01:21 pm »
Frankenstang has the console section from behind the gearstick out of a mid 90's Hilux.
It gives me the big bin, with lid and a section that has a cup holder and room for a phone in front.
It fits the tunnel perfectly and i used the bracket out of the hilux on the floor which has the bolts accessed from in the bin.
I have been thinking about extending it to the dash and covering it with vinyl.
Take a look at the wreckers with an open mind and you never know what you will find.
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 04:31:23 pm »
Good bit of info, Scedd! Well done.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 04:43:19 pm »
JT, I would look into a fairly new product called Corelight as an alternative to MDF. It's a waterproof wood plastic composite that is now commonly used in kitchen cabinet, caravan, outdoor areas and etc.

I haven't used it myself yet but it is supposed to be just like working with MDF or melamine and etc. Price was about the same too. I have the brochure here in front of me and it says it is available is 5mm thickness and up.

http://www.spec-net.com.au/press/1111/nov_231111.htm

After working with MDF and Melamine on/off for the last few years, I wont go near the stuff again. It took me a while to realise what the problem was as I have a bad history when it comes to ear, nose and throat. But the stuff was effecting my nasal passage and my ears kept bleeding. I now only have to do a few passes on the table saw, while wearing a face mask, running two dust extractors off the saw plus a fine dust air filter mounted to the workshop roof circulating breathing air, before I feel the tickle in the back of my throat and the dust beginning to do its damage. It's nasty shit.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 04:44:46 pm »
JT, I just finished making a short console for my '68 coupe and I had to make it twice as the first was made of material too heavy to flex to the shape. That was 6mm ply. Attempt no 2 was better as it is made from 3mm ply. To get it to fit, you will NEED to have access to an original for 2 reasons
Reason 1... The console is lower on the left (original driver's side than on the right.
reason 2...  the bottom of the console is shaped with fillets to fit the contour of the tunnel, which is not exactly symmetrical, so you need to trace around the base to get the shape. I hope this helps and good luck because I have gotten a lot of satisfaction from mine. You could also get a cruiser console to fill your requirements.
Cheers, Ron B
 PS..I glued the padding to the sides, then the vinyl, then stapled the edge and put rubber edge grip in place..purchased at Clark Rubber for about 20 bucks. real neat and looks good, too.

Thanks Ron, Mum's got a (1/2 length) 'cruiser' console in her 66, I will be able to get the dimensions for the tunnel off that.
I was originally thinking something along the lines of what you've done..
Foam on the sides, with the vinyl pulled over and into the inside and stapled down to the frame.

I might also be able to put a bracket inside the console's frame that will screw into the holes for the shifter cover (auto), then put a plate over the top to hide the screws and finish off that area a bit better.... If I get the dimensions right! :lol:

Sounds like it will be a lot of trial and error (I believe this is called "test fitting"), but with a month left before my classes start again this would be a nice project and should improve the appearance of the interior even more!

Good bit of info, Scedd! Well done.
:agree:
Good ideas!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:47:30 pm by JT_1994 »
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 04:59:47 pm »
JT, I would look into a fairly new product called Corelight as an alternative to MDF. It's a waterproof wood plastic composite that is now commonly used in kitchen cabinet, caravan, outdoor areas and etc.
I've never heard of Corelight, sounds like it would be good though..

Thanks for the info!
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 06:30:10 pm »
I built my own for my Eleanor . Used 3mm MBF as it bends easily and is easy to work with . I have a quite large compartment at armrest height and the A/C controls  along with the power window switches driving light and windscreen washer switches on the front panel.
I fitted a tunnel  mounted handbrake which comes through the bottom of the compartment and held down by bolting through the manual gearbox stick brackets. I built the flat panels out of 6mm ply and had them timber grained as the Jag and upmarket sportcars are.  The sides were wrapped in foam and covered with the seat material.Very happy with it.
Stormin

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 07:00:04 pm »
I built my own for my Eleanor . Used 3mm MBF as it bends easily and is easy to work with . I have a quite large compartment at armrest height and the A/C controls  along with the power window switches driving light and windscreen washer switches on the front panel.
I fitted a tunnel  mounted handbrake which comes through the bottom of the compartment and held down by bolting through the manual gearbox stick brackets. I built the flat panels out of 6mm ply and had them timber grained as the Jag and upmarket sportcars are.  The sides were wrapped in foam and covered with the seat material.Very happy with it.
Stormin

Sounds great!
Got any photos you wouldn't mind sharing?

Been busy working out some rough dimensions and coming up with a few basic designs..
I'm keen on having a window in the front section, just below the stereo, where I could put my GPS, as well as a slot behind the shifter for a phone or wallet.

Anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to find some aluminium sheets I could use as an insert?
I'm not sure how I could make and fit those as I want to cover the whole thing in vinyl and have the slots and alum. insert on top to finish it off..
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 07:04:24 pm »
Anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to find some aluminium sheets I could use as an insert?

I get my aluminium from Capral

http://www.capral.com.au/Contacts-Locations

You might even get lucky and they may have some off-cuts.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 07:59:18 pm »
I'll try and get the car out on Sat. and get some photos to put up.I think I put some up a couple of years ago so will see if I can find the post. I'm not very 'puter literate so may have to send in an email.
 Think about Alum.faced Laminex/ laminates as a lining . It also comes in other metal finishes. Won't buckle when cutting and won't scratch as easily
Stormin

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 09:31:45 pm »
I'll try and get the car out on Sat. and get some photos to put up.I think I put some up a couple of years ago so will see if I can find the post. I'm not very 'puter literate so may have to send in an email.
 Think about Alum.faced Laminex/ laminates as a lining . It also comes in other metal finishes. Won't buckle when cutting and won't scratch as easily
Stormin

Ok, thanks! :thumb:

I want to imitate the look of the originals, with the aluminium centre strip and the basic shape of the 66 console, but with a compartment and arm rest between the seats..
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Mr Shelby

• P Plates
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 09:52:05 pm »
JT,
Here's my custom console, sorry about the quality of the photos, it was dark in the garage when i went out there just now and after a few stubbies it would be too sensible to have put the lights on????

Dave

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 10:25:47 pm »
Mr Shelby ,nice job .Most home made ones look  like home made ones ,if you are going to make one make sure it doesnt look like grap, theres nothing worse .Bit like some  home made hood scoops and home made rear spoliers .   :sick:

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 11:18:48 pm »
That looks great Mr Shelby!
Looks pretty much what I'm wanting to make.
As I've said though, I want a spot for my GPS where the gauges and vents in yours are, and I'll have a spot for my phone or wallet behind the shifter. I also want to try and match the look of the brushed aluminium inserts in my dash in the console..

I think I'm getting a pretty good idea of how I could actually make it, I'll just need to get the materials and a few drawings together!

Thanks for the tips everyone! :thumb:
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 09:43:12 am »
JT, Bunnings sell thin aluminium sheet, 1metre square, plain or textured for $39.00

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 10:21:27 am »
JT, Bunnings sell thin aluminium sheet, 1metre square, plain or textured for $39.00

Ok, thanks!
.. Might have to make a trip to Bunnings and suss out what I'll need, I think..
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Marshall

• Stallion
  • Name: Marshall
  • Car: 66 Custom convertible
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 12:00:46 pm »
This is what I did.  A mix of MDF. ply, fibreglass and filler.

Offline crikeyrob

• Stallion
  • Can't wait to cruize!
  • Name: Rob
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 05:56:46 pm »
Just started mine. Checkout pics here.

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,20846.75.html

I will have more images soon as I'll be working on it over the weekend.
Rob

1966 FORD Mustang With Barra XR6 Turbo Engine

Sorry for broken links in posts. Use this link please.
https://audomain.wixsite.com/boostedford

Offline crikeyrob

• Stallion
  • Can't wait to cruize!
  • Name: Rob
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 10:15:58 pm »
I have changed my design slightly and now making it out of folded 4mm Aluminium panel. Still to be covered in leather and then sides added.

I will update images once complete as it is currently getting laser cut and folded. Here is my design.
Rob

1966 FORD Mustang With Barra XR6 Turbo Engine

Sorry for broken links in posts. Use this link please.
https://audomain.wixsite.com/boostedford

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 11:20:04 pm »
Looks good Rob, make sure to post some pics of the finished product! :thumb:
Haven't done much about building a console recently but now that I finished my last exam I will probably put some more thought into it..
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 04:57:42 am »
Made this one a couple of years ago
Moz