What to look for when buying a mustang?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: What to look for when buying a mustang?  (Read 6837 times)

Offline MustangMollie

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Mollie
What to look for when buying a mustang?
« on: January 09, 2014, 04:34:47 pm »
I've loved mustangs ever since I was a kid. My first mustang was a present from my mum when I graduated from Uni. It was a 2002 black convertible GT. I loved that car! When my daughter came along a few years later I had to sell it as her capsule didn't safely fit in the back seat. I'm finally in a position to buy another mustang. I'm not a mechanic, nor do I work on cars for fun. I'm just a chick who loves mustangs. I'll look in Oz, but I may wind up importing from the US. I'm American (permanent resident here) and will be going back to the US for a visit in April.

What do I need to look out for?
If I find something online is there an independent inspector I can hire to go over the car?
I'm after a car that needs very little work or is ready to drive.
Is it possible to tell if a car has been patched with bog and painted over or sanded back to bare metal and painted properly?

Here are two mustangs that have caught my eye ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Watch-Video-67-mustang-gorgeous-restored-c-code-fastback-wow-/191022362491?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2c79d1ef7b&item=191022362491&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.cars-on-line.com/33907.html

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
Re: What to look for when buying a mustang?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 06:56:45 pm »
if you are in Adelaide, we ( Mustang Owners Club of South Australia ) have our monthly club meeting on Wednesday night next week 15/1/14. It is the only night of the year where all members are urged to bring along their cars. We will have them all parked on the oval under lights on the night, quite a sight!. You are more than welcome to attend............. :thumb:
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 07:07:33 pm »
My advice is to check the vehicle thoroughly for rust. There is appraising companies in the US that will inspect a car and provide a report with lots of photos for $300 - $500 depending on where the car is located. I would insist on several close up photos of the car on a hoist showing the floor pan and torque boxes.
The problem I have with the second car is it's 4.11 diff gears, fine for traffic light derbys but not for economy and comfortable highway cruising.
But really, when you take into account the risk of buying over there and the exchange rate, I would be buying locally. I've just bought a cheap motorcycle from the US, and $5.5K US turned into 6.4K Oz Pesos.

Offline Cage

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:25:36 pm »
Rust, Rust, Rust!!!!

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 08:47:05 pm »
Hi and welcome chicky babe  :grin: ,i dont like the 1 st mustang and it has crapy drum brakes all round ,2 nd mustang, it cant still be 4 sale its been many years on the net and if its still for sale its too dear anyway .As others have said rust rust ,try and buy from a dry state southern CA NV ,AZ  .A good small block fastback should be 25 to 35k  .l

Offline MustangMollie

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 01:37:45 am »
if you are in Adelaide, we ( Mustang Owners Club of South Australia ) have our monthly club meeting on Wednesday night next week 15/1/14. It is the only night of the year where all members are urged to bring along their cars. We will have them all parked on the oval under lights on the night, quite a sight!. You are more than welcome to attend............. :thumb:

Thanks for the invite 66 Hertz! I'll be there. Can't wait to see all the ponies!!!!!

Offline MustangMollie

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 01:40:55 am »
My advice is to check the vehicle thoroughly for rust. There is appraising companies in the US that will inspect a car and provide a report with lots of photos for $300 - $500 depending on where the car is located. I would insist on several close up photos of the car on a hoist showing the floor pan and torque boxes.
The problem I have with the second car is it's 4.11 diff gears, fine for traffic light derbys but not for economy and comfortable highway cruising.
But really, when you take into account the risk of buying over there and the exchange rate, I would be buying locally. I've just bought a cheap motorcycle from the US, and $5.5K US turned into 6.4K Oz Pesos.

I think you're right, it makes the most sense to buy locally. If I do find something in the US the exchange rate doesn't bother me because my mustang money is currently in an account in the US anyway. I had no idea about the diff gears. Is that expensive to change? Good idea regarding photos. Thank you so much for your help!

Offline MustangMollie

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 02:46:16 am »
Rust, Rust, Rust!!!!

Thank you, I will try to steer clear of rust. My husband and I just imported a '66 Olds Toronado and the poor car is completely rusted. It's going to be a long and painful process, but that car has sentimental value.

Offline MustangMollie

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 02:47:07 am »
Hi and welcome chicky babe  :grin: ,i dont like the 1 st mustang and it has crapy drum brakes all round ,2 nd mustang, it cant still be 4 sale its been many years on the net and if its still for sale its too dear anyway .As others have said rust rust ,try and buy from a dry state southern CA NV ,AZ  .A good small block fastback should be 25 to 35k  .l

Thanks for the great tips Glenn :)

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 08:21:28 am »
I had no idea about the diff gears. Is that expensive to change?

You can change the gears in your diff or buy another diff, the gears aren't expensive, a few hundred dollars however if you're not changing them yourself, the supply and labour will be expensive.

s

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 09:39:59 am »
The 2nd fastback was 4 sale 3 years ago ,2 years ago ,1 year ago and last october ,so each time i have been there it was 4 sale .I never went to look at it each time .

Offline MustangMollie

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 10:59:15 am »
Thanks Glenn & Stephen :)

I know how to weld (I'm a jeweller), but that's about it as far as cars go. Though I would want to learn how to change the oil myself.

Offline USAtoAUS

• Stallion
    • www.usatoaus.com
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 07:06:01 pm »
The 2nd fastback was 4 sale 3 years ago ,2 years ago ,1 year ago and last october ,so each time i have been there it was 4 sale .I never went to look at it each time .

I am pretty sure we did an inspection on this a couple of years back for a client. It looks awfully familiar.
Shipping from the USAtoAUS (BRI - FRE - MEL - SYD)
www.USAtoAUS.com