!2 volt switched power

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: !2 volt switched power  (Read 1426 times)

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
!2 volt switched power
« on: November 20, 2013, 06:42:16 pm »
where's the easiest place to take 12 volt switched power south of the firewall on a 67 do you think?  The ignition switch?
67 Convertible

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
Re: !2 volt switched power
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 12:44:53 am »
That depends on what you need it for and what amps you will draw, there is only so much current can be handled by the contacts in the ignition switch. if you need a lot of amps, just use the switch to operate a relay or contactor.

Offline ScottW

• Worked
  • Fence Sitter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:15:35 am »
If you are handy with electricity, your best bet is to install a new feedline from the battery to a fused distribution block on the firewall somewhere powered up by a relay hooked into the ignition.  Also run a 40 amp circuit breaker on the new feed line in case of shorts. You can get the bits you need from Narva or the like.

Then you will have a few switched power sources should you need them.

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:39:18 am »
what I am doing is replacing my ammeter with a voltmeter.  So according to the instructions it needs a 12 volt switched source and an earth. I cant imagine it would draw much power?
67 Convertible

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:46:53 am »
I see now from looking at some pics that there's supposed to be a 12 switched post coming out the back of the ignition switch,  that also works on ACC. I guess if I use that I can tell when the radio is causing the battery to go flat.
67 Convertible