Looking for 67 Mustang Fastback to Buy

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Looking for 67 Mustang Fastback to Buy  (Read 8116 times)

Offline illeone05

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
Looking for 67 Mustang Fastback to Buy
« on: November 09, 2013, 12:18:43 am »
Hi,

I've just recently joined this forum in the hope of getting some of advice from fellow mustang enthusiasts in trying to source a mustang to purchase either locally within Australia or from the US.

In regards to the car I'm looking for I've always preferred the look of the 67 Mustang in a similar vain to the "bullitt" movie car in the pictures attached with the bent rear lights and a uncomplicated front grille. So far i have looked high and low trying exactly the car I'm chasing and have also looked at the custom build from scratch option through people like Classic Speed Inc or the Muscle Car Factory but end up keep coming back to trying to locate either a mostly original or restomod car but spending enough money were i can hopefully escape the pesky rust problem. I realize from my research this would cost more but would be willing to consider spending approximately 30-60k+ on a car and possibly another 10-20k+ on any modifications/part exchanges that I would like.

Other than the purchasing the car I would like to do the following and was looking if anybody had any recommendations on any quality work they have come across (i live in WA but would consider using a company over east to do the necessary work and possibly even source the car etc;

- Convert the car to right hand drive (more of a personal preference although some people are against the idea) - RetroRack bolt in-kits look to be a good option as far as i can tell???
- Possibly while converting the car purchase a new engine and auto gearbox either a 302, 347 or 351 with EFI a must (my research tells me MSD is the way to go??)
- Again while converting the car to RHD I would probably do some interior mods or complete make over, carpets, new gauges (JME?), seats (with headrest), brushed aluminum facia's etc.
- Finally I would then like to get rear disc brakes installed and also get rid of leaf springs in the process. Haven't done much research on this at present

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated especially with regards to shipping and compliance of cars in Australia and peoples general experience with this?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:21:19 am by illeone05 »

Offline MachAttack

• Worked
Re: Looking for 67 Mustang Fastback to Buy
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 01:11:17 am »
Welcome.

It may not tick all of your boxes but the 2nd car down in the link below might interest you. It's a '68 S code in highland green and is an absolute stunner. Very well looked after by the current owner. Not really a car you want to modify too much but you'd be the coolest kid on the block cruising around in it. If it takes your fancy, call Harry. His number is on the site.

http://www.pitmanclassiccars.com.au/main/index.php/showroom/

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 07:03:23 am »
For all the modifications you want to you may want to consider buying a Dynacorn shell and start from there.  Buying a "done" car and then going RHD, tossing the engine, removing the rear suspension, redoing the interior is money down the drain...

Original or restomod on an original body rust is always a concern.  A lot of shiny paint hides a lot of sins.

(and, just an FYI, Bullitt was a '68.. very similar to '67 but some differences)
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline jimyd

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:32:55 am »
Welcome.

It may not tick all of your boxes but the 2nd car down in the link below might interest you. It's a '68 S code in highland green and is an absolute stunner. Very well looked after by the current owner. Not really a car you want to modify too much but you'd be the coolest kid on the block cruising around in it. If it takes your fancy, call Harry. His number is on the site.

http://www.pitmanclassiccars.com.au/main/index.php/showroom/
Nice car. Anything GT and  big block is a a blue chip investment.
Good luck

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 11:04:24 am »
Here's one for you - absolutely fully loaded - everything's done.  :thumb:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/mustang/1590728.html

Offline illeone05

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 11:22:29 am »
Here's one for you - absolutely fully loaded - everything's done.  :thumb:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/mustang/1590728.html

Thanks for the info fellas, much appreciated! :thumb:

I came across that car yesterday on my travels on the web. it's a absolute stunner, however when I made an enquiry I got told it can't be shipped to Australia due to the motor? It does have a supercharger which might explain things? Anybody else encountered such a restriction? I tried to search through the ADR's last night but couldn't find anything (but it was Friday after all so will look again)

The more I get into this I'm starting to realize I may need to change my expectations slightly. In truth I have gone back and forth over which avenue to take. Building new obvious costs more but I will probably spend this much anyway in the long run?

Offline illeone05

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 11:23:42 am »
Nice car. Anything GT and  big block is a a blue chip investment.
Good luck

Thanks

Looks impressive, I'll check it out.

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 11:56:30 am »
In truth I have gone back and forth over which avenue to take. Building new obvious costs more but I will probably spend this much anyway in the long run?

After following Ron Mexico's build thread on this forum I would definitely consider US Classic Muscle Cars.

http://www.classic-musclecars.com.au/

Offline Cage

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 01:46:25 pm »
Hi mate, what you are talking about is a restomod. Very cool, but if you are going RHD, new motor, suspension, brakes, interior etc then you are after a restomod. Therefore forget about buying a concourse style car or buying a GT or S code or anything that is more valuable keeping it as per factory specs. What you want is a standard 'C code' that is clean and free of rust and then do what you want.

67/68 clean fastback will cost around $35-40k give or take. This will probably have some goodies already on it as well that can be used for reconditioning. From the way you were talking money wise that still leaves you around $40k to play with.

RHD conversion with rack and pinion will be around - $10k
Rebuild motor around  - $5-10k
Brakes - $1.5k for a decent set

And you still have money left for a paint job as long as the body does not need any major work.

Or buy one already done for around the same money and away you go. It sounds like you have a realistic budget so you should be fine.

Let me just say again that the most important factor is a clean and straight rust free body. You get that and you have the budget for an awesome restomod. Take your time and pick the right car. Trust me there are plenty of them around so don't rush into the first one you see as many of us on here have made that error.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 02:05:48 pm »
If you decide to investigate the dynacorn body and build from scratch, then it must be registered as a Kit car and comply with all CURRENT ADR's, not ADR's for a '67 year car. This was discussed at length a few years ago on this forum as we thought the possibilities were great. Blue Oval Garage also offered a new build Dynacorn car, Turn Key, drive away. I don't know if they are still available, though.

Offline illeone05

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 02:59:45 pm »
Hi mate, what you are talking about is a restomod. Very cool, but if you are going RHD, new motor, suspension, brakes, interior etc then you are after a restomod. Therefore forget about buying a concourse style car or buying a GT or S code or anything that is more valuable keeping it as per factory specs. What you want is a standard 'C code' that is clean and free of rust and then do what you want.

67/68 clean fastback will cost around $35-40k give or take. This will probably have some goodies already on it as well that can be used for reconditioning. From the way you were talking money wise that still leaves you around $40k to play with.

RHD conversion with rack and pinion will be around - $10k
Rebuild motor around  - $5-10k
Brakes - $1.5k for a decent set

And you still have money left for a paint job as long as the body does not need any major work.

Or buy one already done for around the same money and away you go. It sounds like you have a realistic budget so you should be fine.

Let me just say again that the most important factor is a clean and straight rust free body. You get that and you have the budget for an awesome restomod. Take your time and pick the right car. Trust me there are plenty of them around so don't rush into the first one you see as many of us on here have made that error.

Thanks cage, great advice sounds exactly what I'm chasing. Should I be concentrating my searches on sourcing a car locally or US do you reckon? For the most part I'm just seeing coupes is there a reason for this or I'm just not looking the right places? Looks like it may take sometime to locate a car as you mentioned in your post.

My obvious concerns which I'm sure many people on this forum have encountered in the past would be purchasing without seeing the car first unless I fly over there any inspect the car of course. Then again I would still need to know what I'm looking at, or for...:)

I've read a number of companies in AUS do an inspection on your behalf, if so does anyone have any recommendations or advice on who would best person to contact if I went down this avenue? I'm aware living in WA might mean I would need to send the car interstate to get some work done which I'm prepared for it just means I have to budget for this as well.

Offline illeone05

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 03:04:03 pm »
If you decide to investigate the dynacorn body and build from scratch, then it must be registered as a Kit car and comply with all CURRENT ADR's, not ADR's for a '67 year car. This was discussed at length a few years ago on this forum as we thought the possibilities were great. Blue Oval Garage also offered a new build Dynacorn car, Turn Key, drive away. I don't know if they are still available, though.

Cheers Ron, that's something I didn't take into consideration, many thanks for your input I'll take a look see while I'm researching any engine restrictions on imports etc

Offline Cage

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 04:02:29 pm »
Thanks cage, great advice sounds exactly what I'm chasing. Should I be concentrating my searches on sourcing a car locally or US do you reckon? For the most part I'm just seeing coupes is there a reason for this or I'm just not looking the right places? Looks like it may take sometime to locate a car as you mentioned in your post.

My obvious concerns which I'm sure many people on this forum have encountered in the past would be purchasing without seeing the car first unless I fly over there any inspect the car of course. Then again I would still need to know what I'm looking at, or for...:)

I've read a number of companies in AUS do an inspection on your behalf, if so does anyone have any recommendations or advice on who would best person to contact if I went down this avenue? I'm aware living in WA might mean I would need to send the car interstate to get some work done which I'm prepared for it just means I have to budget for this as well.

Either way is a good option, local or US.

There are plenty here you just need to take your time. Plus buying in Australia means that you can check them out yourself or with someone who knows their stuff if you are not sure what to look for.

US is good too as there are plenty more over there. The disadvantage is that you have to rely on other people's opinion of the condition of the car. Doesn't mean you shouldn't buy from the US but are you willing to rely on someone you don't really know.

The reason you see more coupes for sale is purely because there are more out here to choose from. If you take your time you will find one out here. I will shoot you a PM

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 06:42:41 pm »
Good rust free fastbacks are worth big bucks in the usa now and not easy to find ,sure there are a few for sale but a lot have been rust buckets and have aftermarket panels and floors fitted ,not my choice .The other problem is you cannot import a modified car anymore unless it was modified pre 1988 with proof .Buy one here with as much mods as you can find and improve it to the way you want .Going to the usa and doing it all by yourself is hard work and will take a lot of traveling and time .

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 07:19:10 pm »
Just Mustangs have a '67 Fastback for sale. Not the colour you're after, but it's already right hand drive - would be a good starting point for a restomod.

http://www.justmustangs.com.au/forsale/

Offline yamahore

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 07:28:05 pm »
Best of luck with your searches. I had a similar plan to yourself when i started out searching for my 67 Fastback, theres not alot of them around for sale here. In the end i bought something i could look at myself in the flesh local and ended up with a 67 GTA S CODE which I am now modifying into the car I want, I can vouch for what others would say in that this is an expensive way to do it- Trying to find a cheap, rust free project shell was mission impossible for me after 12 months so unfortunately thats how im going about it. Atleast i will know how the car has been built. I'm not sure how achievable your improvements budget is, depends on how full on you go about it I suppose, but i would allow double what you initially had in mind

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 07:57:51 pm »
Sorry pre 89 , not 1988 . :smile01:

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 08:12:53 pm »
Welcome to the forum. Hope you find what you are looking for. Don't be in too much of a rush as there is a lot for you to consider, especially if you are thinking restomod. Plenty of good people on this forum to help you.

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 08:56:31 pm »
1: Welcome to the forum
2: Buy in Australia
3: If your starting on a full project car from scratch,think of a figure and double it.
4: Good advice from cage (speaking from experience)
5: Good luck with the search

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 09:45:56 pm »
You could always start with a coupe and upscale later, when the right FB turns up. Thereby honing skills and perfecting ideas using a coupe as a "test mule" which would be readily saleable later. Just a thought.
Cheers, Ron B

Offline illeone05

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 07:30:53 pm »
Best of luck with your searches. I had a similar plan to yourself when i started out searching for my 67 Fastback, theres not alot of them around for sale here. In the end i bought something i could look at myself in the flesh local and ended up with a 67 GTA S CODE which I am now modifying into the car I want, I can vouch for what others would say in that this is an expensive way to do it- Trying to find a cheap, rust free project shell was mission impossible for me after 12 months so unfortunately thats how im going about it. Atleast i will know how the car has been built. I'm not sure how achievable your improvements budget is, depends on how full on you go about it I suppose, but i would allow double what you initially had in mind

Thanks mate appreciate the advice, yeah so far I'm finding it pretty difficult to track down a quality car and your definitely right about the budget.

I'll probably have to reassess this and maybe just try and get hold of a car for now, save up some extra dosh and then go about modifying it to suit.

The car on one of the links above from pitmanclassics looks good (will ring them and ask for the selling price) however its running a 390 big block with a 4 speed toploader were i would much prefer an auto and going to a 302 or 351 small block. I'm assuming that i would need an adapter/conversion kit to mount a small block were a big block live (can anybody point me in the right direction and if this is even possible)??? I see you get 302's or 351's from fordcobraengines in the US with an AOD transmission which could be a way to go in the long run.

People may find swapping the engine and gearbox out may detract from the car, but unfortunately with having physical problems with my clutch leg and presuming the clutch may be heavy it looks like auto would be the only way to go.

At this point i think i may concentrate on trying to get hold of a decent, straight body rust free car and work on customizing it long term.

Thanks for everybody who has replied so far, the more information and differing views i can get the better! :)

Cheers

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 09:58:19 pm »
Don't worry about engine swaps and AOD conversions. Many of us have variations on that theme. My '68 has a 5.0L rollercam Engine from a later Mustang and an electronic shift c4 and electric power steering from a H****n Astra. Restomods mean you can paint the canvas any colour of exciting you want. Good luck finding your Beast. Keep us in the loop.
Cheers, Ron B

Offline illeone05

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 08:35:56 pm »
Thanks Ron will do.

Unfortunately the Pitman classic car has been sold when i rang them today so no joy there....

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 09:22:23 pm »
There's a nice looking gold 68 fastback for sale on this site. Click on the 66 Hertz gt350 picture, which will take you to MOCA site. Scroll down to map of Aus, then click in NSW. At the top af the NSW page is a drop down menu foe classified ads. It is in there and looks real nice. It does have a toploader, but others have done Hydraulic clutch conversions. Anyway, it may push some buttons for you. Good luck, mate.
Ron B