Lubricants

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Lubricants  (Read 7736 times)

Offline Tezza0438

• Stallion
  • MOCA NSW (ACT) Member
Lubricants
« on: October 19, 2013, 10:08:07 am »
Hi Guru's,

Can someone please advise what fluid I should be using in my 1992 T5 WC gear box in my '66 mustang?

I have not been able to find out from the previous owner what his mechanic used.

Also, I'd like to do an engine oil change...any recommendations on brand / type for 289? Once again, I'm unsure what was done to this engine when restored, but assume it is fairly standard.

Cheers,

1966 Convertible; Tahoe Turquoise.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: Lubricants
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:23:03 pm »
Penrite HPR 30 for the engine
Try Valvoline Dura gear GL4 75/85

Offline Tezza0438

• Stallion
  • MOCA NSW (ACT) Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 05:36:59 pm »
Thanks Shaunp,

I have read that the World Class T5 requires auto trans fluid? The one you suggested is gear oil.

Just realized this thread should be moved to Tech.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 06:07:32 pm »
Dexron II automatic transmission fluid

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 08:13:32 pm »
No, use the valvoline dura gear

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 09:12:59 pm »
Check out the foot note at the bottom of this page:

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

Offline Tezza0438

• Stallion
  • MOCA NSW (ACT) Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 09:18:27 pm »

I read that earlier...now I'm confused, Shaunp and Big Al are both what I would consider "gurus".

Offline DUNRITE66

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 07:11:35 am »
I had a world 86 T5 and ran Ford 4 speed auto fluid Penrite  dexronII ... Never had a problem.   Shifted fine. Don't think Penrite make the II anymore ... But any Ford 4 speed fluid will do as that's what I was advised to run in it.  As you said I think a lot of people on this forum think highly of  Shaun's advice  ... As long as it has some kind of fluid apart from cooking oil in it.  Think you be fine with either.
Engine oil we only use torco... Not sure if you can buy it retail anywhere but it has a real high  amount of zinc in it ..my engine builder buys it by the pallet for the shop in 20 litre drums. .. They do make it in different grades.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:22:34 am by DUNRITE66 »

Offline edspaged2

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 08:17:15 am »
I'd probably stick to what is recommended for the gearbox. Mines an 86 WC T5 and the shop manual recommends dexronII ATF fluid.

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 10:11:58 am »

Yep - read it, and in particular "We recommend high quality Synthetic oil as it lasts a long time and over a larger operating temperature."

Then I looked at the specs of what Shaunp and BigAl came up with:

http://www.valvoline.com.au/explore-our-products/all-products/transmission-fluids-and-gear-oils/manual-and-gear-oils/valvoline-duragear-gear-oil
  In particular "Formulate with a unique blend of premium synthetic and conventional base oils, DuraGear is a superior extreme pressure lubricant." 

So sounds like it suits...

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 09:03:24 pm »
Thanks Shaunp,

I have read that the World Class T5 requires auto trans fluid? The one you suggested is gear oil.

Just realized this thread should be moved to Tech.

That's correct, so did Landover on Discovery's and Defenders, as do many others, AFT is not an extreme pressure oil, they only spec it to make the syncro's work and to give low rolling resistance to improve fuel eccon etc, no other reasons. What happens over time is the ATF wears the box out but it will change ok til then. The Dura gear is an MTF it's very thin just like ATF but its a real gear oil, and its an EP but GL4 Not GL5, 5 is diff oil. The GL rating is the extreme pressure/hypoid rating which what helical cut gears need to live long lives. This oil is designed for manual transmissions. I find on a daily drive you need to drop it every 2 years, what ever additive they put in it to make the syncros  slick seems to get used up. I do a bit of work on Landrovers, the LT77 & R380 5 speeds are notorious for being notchy , Dura gear is about the best generic oil I've found for them, they change better with it then ATF, and they don't wear out, everyone makes a similar thing, Castrol VMX 80 or M is another but they don't seem to shift as well. My dads old TDI disco has done 400k now, 1/2 of that is towing all over Oz and working hard, box is as good as it was when new. I use it in Top loaders as well. Just make sure you get the GL4 dura gear, not the 85/90 GL5, that is diff oil. Back when they started making T5's there was no MTF just ATF
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:07:30 pm by shaunp »

Offline Tezza0438

• Stallion
  • MOCA NSW (ACT) Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 09:19:32 pm »
Thanks for the detailed response...makes perfect sense.

Any idea on retailers of the DuraGear?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 09:34:27 pm »

Super cheap used to sell it, as did Burson, I get it straight for the Valvoline agent, I also get Racing 50 from them as well, it's similar to Penrite HPR but you have to buy to buy a minimum amount of product from them, or they won't deliver it. The racing 50 works pretty a well, a mate runs his "Monarodore" sports sedan race car on it , it's running and Ex US Nascar Chev engine, seems to keep it together ok.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 09:42:48 pm »
Here is the Monaro at Bathurst, this think's it's Warren's son driving it. Engine is built by Ian Woodward from Fataz Race engines here in Wynnum, Brisbane. They do a lot of this thing, Group N engines, touring car Masters etc.

M.R. Automotive Monaro Sports Sedan Bathurst 2012

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 06:48:27 am »
Repco carry it

Offline Tezza0438

• Stallion
  • MOCA NSW (ACT) Member
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 06:44:46 pm »
Thanks guys...didn't find any at Supercheap...will go hunting for it elsewhere...not too many options here in Canbera.

Cheers

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2020, 08:21:31 am »

G'day All, Shaunp, bigal,

Found this old post about Borg Warner T5 WC transmission fluid last night and I'm just wandering if there is any updates!
I have the ex John Chapman 68 Mustang fitted with 89 Mustang GT engine and gearbox.
I've lost contact with John, I'm not sure who had it before John,  it used to have rego, PC689.
It is confirmed a world class by the part number 13-52-066-919 and torx head screw above reverse switch.
I only looked into the gearbox looking for the torque capability as on the dyno I have 520ft/lb.
Last night I panicked reading Borg Warner advised it should have ATF, because I knew it had gear oil in it!
I changed gear oil with gear oil when I bought the car a few years ago!
Currently have Penrite Progear 75W- 85 GL4 in it!

Thanks in advance for your comments and time.
Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:49:38 pm by AussiePhil »
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!