Best/Cheapest people to ship Crate Motor from New Jersey to Fremantle

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Best/Cheapest people to ship Crate Motor from New Jersey to Fremantle  (Read 6627 times)

Offline yamahore

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
Chasing personal recommendation and prices on importing a built motor I have found in U.S. They have told me approx $800 u.s  shipping which i thought was steep. Anyone know of better prices?
Have tried search, and also tried local engine builder who quoted way too much to rebuild my FE

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Best/Cheapest people to ship Crate Motor from New Jersey to Fremantle
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:11:57 am »
Do as much research as possible on that crate engine builder ,i have seen some crap  crate engines . 800 sounds about right .

Offline yamahore

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
Was looking at a forged, roller, 408w from Proformance Unlimited. I hear ya on the Crappy crate motors. Not going to spend 6k but dont wanna spend 15-20 either at this stage.

Was thinking of basing the build on this motor, spoke to the guy on the phone and there's a couple of upgrades i'd do.

http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/specs/408_500/396_450carb.html

The Fe may have to get glad wrapped and stored.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:49:53 am by yamahore »

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Hard to go past this for the price :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Racing-Z427-IRON-LONG-BLOCK-FRONT-SUMP-M-6007-PRZ427FFT-/251096161574?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a767f5d26&vxp=mtr

If you look at their shipping price, I think you will find your quote of $800 from NJ to Freo pretty reasonable.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 12:59:26 pm »
Read through it and sounds good ,and all the right parts and a good price .The only thing is you are going from a 390 to a 408 /351w base engine ,so quite a few things will have to be changed ,extractors and exhaust system ,starter motor maybe ,and you will need a new hi stall converter  and make sure you get the right water pump  and ask if the new block even has a fuel pump etc .

Offline yamahore

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
Read through it and sounds good ,and all the right parts and a good price .The only thing is you are going from a 390 to a 408 /351w base engine ,so quite a few things will have to be changed ,extractors and exhaust system ,starter motor maybe ,and you will need a new hi stall converter  and make sure you get the right water pump  and ask if the new block even has a fuel pump etc .

Yeh was worried about changing to a small block as the car is an s code, if i had to sell the car, original motor would be in corner of the shed. 17k plus ignition/extractors to build a similar specced FE from my block over here is just out of the question.
Extractors on the small block will be alot easier, exhaust has to be done anyway, will order a ministarter, my C6 won't bolt up to 351w so a built c4 would be the go.
The bonus of this motor is includes Ignition, Carby etc (got him to include 750 holley in my quote instead of Edelbrock)
ith the water pump you mean make sure its a high volume ? or particular brand?

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 04:32:14 pm »
I would go a 770 vac sec holley ,but thats your choice ,water pump, just make sure you get the right side outlet ,and a lot of late blocks only take electric fuel pumps .If you go c4/c10 really, its a better box than a c6 ,smaller ,lighter ,and drains less hp .If you are buying the c10 out of the usa get a good brand hi stall and a trans cooler and front yoke .If you are using your std shifter you may need a c4 rod ,not to sure about that .

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 04:40:51 pm »
Frank the problem with that 427 engine is its a ford racing one ,ok the parts are ok but it depends who built it and the machine work .

Offline USAtoAUS

• Stallion
    • www.usatoaus.com
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 10:33:09 pm »
$450 sea freight to all major ports in AUS through us.

Ask them to use an ISPM-15 stamped pallet or a plastic pallet or even better one of those formed plastic crates that hold the motor.
Shipping from the USAtoAUS (BRI - FRE - MEL - SYD)
www.USAtoAUS.com

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 06:19:34 pm »
FRank, nice engine.. With current exchange @ 10276.21 plus postage plus import duty = $12.1 K here

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 06:42:26 pm »
Yeah, would  be nice .. There is one of the guys in Sydney bought one in and dropped it in his 68 vert. Pretty sure he is stoked with it.

By the time you ship it and add duties etc. you probably may as well buy it from Eage spares for $14k. At least you have a warranty.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 06:43:31 pm »
and add duties etc.

Can you claim the free trade agreement on these?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline USAtoAUS

• Stallion
    • www.usatoaus.com
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 11:15:20 pm »
Should be no duty on them.
Shipping from the USAtoAUS (BRI - FRE - MEL - SYD)
www.USAtoAUS.com

Offline yamahore

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
I think the Survival motorsprts one would be a better buy, It comes with Forged Crank not cast, H beam Rods instead of I beam, also includes MSD Dizzy/coil, Carby etc. I think the Victor Junior intakes may creat an issue with clearance also. The idea of an assembled , dynoed/ turn key motor is whats appealing to me.
Plus for the additional $1900 fitted the Bilet pulley kit includes Aircon compressor, alternator, power steer pump.

Agree warranty is a wonderfull thing Proformance told me they would give 12 months and if something happend they would liase with a local machine shop (iffy i know)
The thing is with duties, engine mounts etc its almost at the same expense as building the FE again. See how we go