67 disc brake upgrade upgrade.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 67 disc brake upgrade upgrade.  (Read 8079 times)

Offline MILD67

• Worked
  • Name: Rob
67 disc brake upgrade upgrade.
« on: August 29, 2013, 10:59:03 am »
Now that my pony is pushing 550/600 ponies, I d want/need better brakes.
I currently have standard xf alloy calipers, rotors, and pads. So first ill be upgrading to drilled and slotted rotors and some better quality pads. The rear is all brand new drums, shoes and components,  and have been advised that rear disc conversion is a waste.
Im also running a booster and master Cylinder from hopperstoppers.
My cam is around 595/600 lift, would vaccum be a prob?
The pedal must be pushed pretty hard to pull up well.
What other things can I do to improve braking power?
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
Re: 67 disc brake upgrade upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:23:06 pm »
What about a Parachute!......................... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:31:45 pm »
 I am running a vacuum tank and it does help ,also you can buy an electric vacuum tank as well .

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:48:37 pm »
Check out this web site seems to cater for bigger brakes.

http://www.outlawdiscbrakes.com/index.html

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 10:19:53 pm »
Now that my pony is pushing 550/600 ponies, I d want/need better brakes.
I currently have standard xf alloy calipers, rotors, and pads. So first ill be upgrading to drilled and slotted rotors and some better quality pads. The rear is all brand new drums, shoes and components,  and have been advised that rear disc conversion is a waste.
Im also running a booster and master Cylinder from hopperstoppers.
My cam is around 595/600 lift, would vaccum be a prob?
The pedal must be pushed pretty hard to pull up well.
What other things can I do to improve braking power?

It's the overlap and duration that will kill the vacuum. If you don't have enough vac, You can run an electric pump, as Glen said or, buy a hydra boost, which runs off you power steer pump, or get an alternator from a diesel 4x4, van etc. that has a vac pump on the back. Fit EBC pads for more pedal feel, not super hard ones, black or Green would suit.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 11:24:47 am »
Thanks for the answers, the parachute would be funny going off in traffic  :cheers:
I might try a electric pump and tank, I dont think a tank only will help me but will probably try it first.
I also forgot to mention I have a top mount supercharger on it.
 :event:
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 07:00:33 pm »
So you the vac take off for the bakes at the carb right, not below the blower on the manifold.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 09:51:21 pm »
Yeah at the carb. Booster was holding vac but I replaced it anyway and now the brakes are very good again.

Offline DUNRITE66

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 08:01:03 pm »
I finally found my comp cams vac brake pump. If you want to try it first before you buy one then happy to lend it to you. Just have to find the top valve off it and you can have it ... They are noisy if you decide to go that way.  My engine builder only uses the CVR pumps as they are heaps quieter. Worth about $500 but ...

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 03:22:05 am »
thanks george, ill keep it in mind.
the brakes are great again since new booster, now im just trying to work out my vac source, i have brakes from the bottom of carby, just have to do pcv valve.

Offline DUNRITE66

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 03:48:19 pm »
Can you get a 1" spacer with a vac outlet between blower and carb. 

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 06:38:55 pm »
No more room under bonnet, has 2inch reverse cowl, might have to go 4 inch.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 08:48:55 am »
thanks george, ill keep it in mind.
the brakes are great again since new booster, now im just trying to work out my vac source, i have brakes from the bottom of carby, just have to do pcv valve.

With a blower you are better just to vent the engine into a catch tank as it will end up breathing some oil for sure. make sure you vent both rocker covers to the tank so it can get rid of crank case pressure. Forget the PCV, it will just end up sucking up oil.