Convert to manual

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Convert to manual  (Read 2678 times)

Offline halcyonhans

• L Plates
Convert to manual
« on: November 04, 2005, 02:03:54 pm »
Can anyone explain why there are so few early Mustangs with manual gearbox, especially in R/H drive. I have a 66 Auto and am even prepared to swap it for a manual or find a suitable 4 or 5 speed box to change over. Any help or info would be much appreciated as I would like to enjoy DRIVING my car a bit more.

Offline Petey

• Worked
Convert to manual
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 12:10:37 am »
Hi there Halcyonhans,
I have just completed restoration of a '66 A-code coupe which was completely original right down to the Borg Warner T-10 4 speed manual gearbox.
I had it professionally converted to RHD but convert the cable clutch to hydraulic myself using new master and slave cylinders (PBR) and an XB Falcon hydraulic line picked up from the wreckers for $20. The hardest part was designing and making a bracket to attach the slave cylinder to the bell housing to actuate the clutch lever but managed to come up with a good design after making a couple from cardboard as  templates.
I guess the vast majority of early Mustangs were autos because back then they were  popular in the US.  Here in Australia most early sixties cars were still manual.
One of the problems with Mustangs with manual transmissions is the difficulty in fitting headers around the clutch lever and associated working parts and of course a RHD conversion means all the original mechanical clutch parts between the fire wall and the bell housing can't be used as they are on the wrong side relative to the clutch pedal.
There are only a couple of gearboxes that I know of which will fit up to the early Mustangs, the original 3-speed, the
T-10  4 speed with reverse lockout lever used up to the 1967 model (even the early Shelby had the T-10 contrary to popular belief) and of course the good old 'top loader which took over after 1967.
I hope this is of some help to you and if you need some help with a clutch bracket, let me know.

PT

Offline halcyonhans

• L Plates
Convert to manual
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 07:51:21 am »
Thanks for the great info PT, knowing now what's involved, I may just look around for a completed car although finding a r/h drive model may be more difficult then the actual conversion. I wonder if the auto's offer a higher resale value especially to women who seem to be getting into these classic cars. I may be in touch if I proceed.
Halcyonhans

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
Convert to manual
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 05:58:32 pm »
Halcyonhans

You could always contact one of the Mustang importers who could import a manual car for you from the US.  As there aren't too many for sale in Australia.

Here is some useless stats for you.  In one of my books it states there is only 14.5% 4speed cars in 65 and 7.1% in 66, 7.3 in 67 & 6.1 in 68.

I hope this helps
I hope this helps
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!