Gt 500, newer model, import?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Gt 500, newer model, import?  (Read 4033 times)

Offline The Machin3

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
Gt 500, newer model, import?
« on: June 30, 2013, 11:23:46 am »
hey there!

Recently I've been browsing forums and looking for the best place to post and ask general import questions. I've always loved the Newer Shelby GT500 models, (2008-2012). Would it be possible to import one from the USA to Australia at a reasonable price? I don't care if it sits in my shed for a year (Being LHD until I save more cash to convert) Just wondering what companies you guys have used for Conversion and import?

Any information would be greatly appreciated as I'm learning!

Cheers,

Mark.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
Re: Gt 500, newer model, import?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 01:01:42 pm »
Mark I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that you cannot import a late model vehicle with a view to having it converted to RHD, it has to be done by or through a company that is licensed to do that. Have a read here:  http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/index.aspx

Maybe contact the department concerned and confirm. Good luck.
Rick

Offline The Machin3

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 02:03:35 pm »
Mark I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that you cannot import a late model vehicle with a view to having it converted to RHD, it has to be done by or through a company that is licensed to do that. Have a read here:  http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/index.aspx

Maybe contact the department concerned and confirm. Good luck.

what about the letter of compliance option mate?

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/lca.aspx

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 03:32:53 pm »
Reading the info on the link you posted I don't see how it applies, or that you could even hope to get one. The car will not meet ADRs, that's the whole issue facing you, connverting to RHD is just one aspect. Many will have looked into this before you.

"A Letter of Compliance is a statement issued by a holder of an Identification Plate Approval (IPA). The letter will need to state that a vehicle complied with Australian Design Rules (ADRs) (other than the requirement to fit an identification plate) at the time the vehicle was first delivered for use in transport."
Rick

Offline The Machin3

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 04:06:21 pm »
Reading the info on the link you posted I don't see how it applies, or that you could even hope to get one. The car will not meet ADRs, that's the whole issue facing you, connverting to RHD is just one aspect. Many will have looked into this before you.

"A Letter of Compliance is a statement issued by a holder of an Identification Plate Approval (IPA). The letter will need to state that a vehicle complied with Australian Design Rules (ADRs) (other than the requirement to fit an identification plate) at the time the vehicle was first delivered for use in transport."

:\ Sucks because they're priced so reasonably in the USA, like $200 000 here :(

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged