Can I drive my car with no power steering?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Can I drive my car with no power steering?  (Read 3113 times)

Offline 1966stang

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Greg
Can I drive my car with no power steering?
« on: June 20, 2013, 01:13:29 pm »
Hi, need some advice in case I do some damage.

I have blown the high pressure hose on my power steering in my '66.  :cry:

I have removed the drive belt so pump won't be damaged but wondering if I can cause any other harm by driving the car back home, it is only 400 kms after all.  :grin:

Steering is of course heavier but no problem with cornering, just parking.

Greg

'66 C code Coupe, Wimbledon White
Was 289 now 302

Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advice.

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
Re: Can I drive my car with no power steering?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 01:52:00 pm »
i had to drive mine to gerringong and back without power steer when i had a hose leak 5kms into the start of the cruise, total distance of 200kms. disconnected the belts and said stuff it im driving regardless.
there werent any apparent problems when i got it repaired and all is still good.
but man it made reverse parking and 3 point turns interesting, not to mention the amount of free play at 100kph.
Giddyup!
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:36:45 pm »
It will be ok as it is a power ram not a power steering box .

Offline MachAttack

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 03:39:37 pm »
Mine blew at a rather unfortunate time. I was a groomsman at a friend's wedding so offered to drive him to the venue in the Mustang. Got to the accommodation no problem but didn't realise there was a problem until we were suited up and ready to head to the venue. Too late to do anything so had no choice but to drive it. Luckily it was only a 20k drive. Left the car there overnight (which was always the plan anyway  :cheers: ) but had the car towed the next morning. We were up in the Dandenong Ranges and I wasn't willing to drive it down the windy roads.

The groom (front) took it pretty well considering the nerves, didn't say a word until we arrived though.

Offline edspaged2

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 08:35:45 pm »
I'd say if it was an emergency and desperately need to get home then yeah do it. But how serious is the leak? When you turn the steering wheel left right left etc does any oil pump out? You have to think about the other people on the road that might unfortunately drive over the oil slick and slide off the road. Don't wanna be a party pooper but I always think of repercussions in whatever I do on the job.

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 08:48:34 pm »
in my case the leak was enough to empty itself after 5 kms, the steering got damn heavy by the time i went to get fuel, thats bugger all oil over that distance i can assure you, its not a 44 gallon drum of oil leaking.
no animals/vehicles/pedestrians/greens voters were harmed in the process. :leaving:
i cant vouch for my fellow road cyclists though, however itll help you slide when you hit the deck. i know that first hand
you get that .....

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:59:41 pm »
I know 1st hand also ,going around lakeside raceway ,down the main straight into the left corner then loosing it big time ,yep the power steering line blew oil  all over the rear tyres .    :pepper:  then drove about 120klms home ,i just took the belt off .

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 12:21:28 am »
I know 1st hand also ,going around lakeside raceway ,down the main straight into the left corner then loosing it big time ,yep the power steering line blew oil  all over the rear tyres .    :pepper:  then drove about 120klms home ,i just took the belt off .

And thats whats Aussies do mate!!! onya glenn :cheers:
you get that .....