RHD Steering Mustang 1965

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: RHD Steering Mustang 1965  (Read 7537 times)

Offline weiter

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
RHD Steering Mustang 1965
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:09:24 pm »
Hi,

Can anyone help me with info where I can buy steering gear parts to convert from LHD to RHD steering on my 1965 Mustang project. I am building a Mustang for Historic Racing in Sweden. Have heard that Falcon steering gear can be used. Appreciate all info and help.

Please see my homepage: www.weiterracing.se. Unfortunatly presently only in Swedish but English translation will follow. Press on the pictures and You can see many pictures of each car.

My e-mail: sunbeamtiger@telia.com

Anders Weiter
Sweden

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: RHD Steering Mustang 1965
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 01:19:10 pm »
Most people use falcon  XR 1967 to falcon XF 1987 ,67 to XY 71  had manual box  or power ram like early mustangs . 1972 manual box or power steering box .Also early 67 /71 power ram boxs had 16 to 1 ratio ,manual boxs had 20 to 1 box ,16 to 1 is  good for racing . Getting very had to buy but someone will have one .You will need drag link modified etc ,rhd pitman arm also . cheers Glenn . ps can you use a rack .

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:08:52 am »
i can help you with the complete package to suit your car if you wish...thanx...Al

Offline weiter

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 05:18:17 pm »
Hi,

Many thanks for Your reply.

Looking for a RHD steering box and right hand pitman arm and other necessary parts to convert from LHD to RHD.
I am presently building a 1965 Coupe to a racing Mustang for Historic Racing in Europe.
Steering box needs to be in good condition (brand new if possible).
What is Your price and how quick can You deliver?
I am member of Mustang Club Sweden.

Best regards

Anders 

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 02:54:53 pm »
Hi Anders, send me an email on bigal@bigalsmustangs.com.au with your requirements and i can run through some pricing with you....Thanx..Al

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 10:21:00 am »
Hi,

Many thanks for Your reply.

Looking for a RHD steering box and right hand pitman arm and other necessary parts to convert from LHD to RHD.
I am presently building a 1965 Coupe to a racing Mustang for Historic Racing in Europe.
Steering box needs to be in good condition (brand new if possible).
What is Your price and how quick can You deliver?
I am member of Mustang Club Sweden.

Best regards

Anders
Anders sounds like you want to do something like the pictures below. This is one I have done using Australian Falcon parts. Steering box is from an 80's XF falcon, intergrated power, and variable ratio, drag link is a modified XY falcon, idler arm is XY falcon, to match drag link, Brake booster and master is XB Falcon as is the Clutch master cylinder, pedal box is also falcon. Tie rods also falcon as tapers are larger than mustang.

Offline weiter

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:22:17 am »
Hi,

Many thanks for nice pictures. It is a good help and exactly these parts I am looking for.

Anders

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 10:23:02 am »
Hi,

Many thanks for nice pictures. It is a good help and exactly these parts I am looking for.

Anders

The Drag link is custom made by John Greene at Probe engineering, Burke St, Wynnum, Australia, the rest generic Australian Ford Falcon parts all can be purchased off the shelf new, except for the steering box, you can only buy remanfactured ones, about $300 for the reco box.