Forward looking camera

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Forward looking camera  (Read 6390 times)

Offline 1966stang

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Greg
Forward looking camera
« on: May 27, 2013, 12:49:39 pm »
Hi,
Have a LHD 66 coupe and looking at fitting a forward looking camera on or near the passengers A pillar connected to a suitable display.

This is to help with vision when trying to overtake, especially semis.

Has anyone done this and if so any recommendations, problems etc.

Did look at using a reversing camera but focal length is too short.

Any ideas, comments etc always welcome.
Greg

'66 C code Coupe, Wimbledon White
Was 289 now 302

Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advice.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Re: Forward looking camera
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 01:37:27 pm »
I run a forward camera in a couple of cars and my work car but I would never rely on a camera or even a passenger for overtake observations.  Just a bit more hang back distance makes all the difference, to see around cars.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 08:59:27 pm »
There was a bloke in a HUGE yank tank thingy and he had 2 mirrors on the RHS just for overtaking.
luvhev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 07:03:31 am »
Forget the camera's get RHD that fixes it.

Offline 1966stang

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 08:08:35 am »
Forget the camera's get RHD that fixes it.

It sure would Shaun but not sure the wife (or the bank balance) would stand for it.  :cry:

I just want to see if anything is close before I stick the nose out before I try to overtake. There is no way I would rely on it to make the overtaking move, that would be suicidal  :smash:

Have decided to try the GoPro, if that doesn't work it is back to waiting for an overtaking lane or moving  well back from the B-double for a better look-see, something I do now.

Unfortunately overtaking lanes are not too common on most of the roads I travel but traffic can be, hence the desire to see a bit further ahead.

Maybe we all need to drive on the right hand side of the road  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
Greg

Was 289 now 302

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:58:38 am »
LHD is all well and good, in the city or a 4 lane highway, but on single carriage way it's crap, don't care what excuse anyone comes up with. Run down the Newell Hwy from Brisbane, South, and see how many B doubles and Grey nomads in Landcruisers with 30ft caravan you have to pass. You need to be able to come up behind them indicate and go.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:00:32 am by shaunp »

Offline 1966stang

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:59:38 am »
LHD is all well and good, in the city or a 4 lane highway, but on single carriage way it's crap, don't care what excuse anyone comes up with. Run down the Newell Hwy from Brisbane, South, and see how many B doubles and Grey nomads in Landcruisers with 30ft caravan you have to pass. You need to be able to come up behind them indicate and go.

Exactly my problem. Live on the Newell and travel to the Gold Coast fairly regularly but love the LHD even with this downfall.

Will also be fitting UHF CB and most truckers will indicate when it is clear if they know you are there, not so lucky with the Grey Nomads, they seem to be in a world of their own. Trouble is I'm in that age group.  :lol:
Greg

Was 289 now 302

Offline Red67Coupe

• Thoroughbred
  • Restored
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:55:48 am »
I originally had wanted to buy RHD when I started looking seriously for a classic car, but availability (in Qld) and price made me consider right and left hooks.  Definately not sorry I bought left hook and don't plan on changing - everyone has there own preference.  It adds to the "look at that" factor sometimes.  Also, Mrs Red67 won't drive it.   :lol:
Only had one time I had to wait for a big sweeping left hand bend to see in front of the semi and stayed well back, and I had my teenage son riding shotgun as a backup.  I've always have Mrs or one of the boys with me - always pays to have someone in case you need someone to push  :grin:
Ken

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 11:10:51 am »
Exactly my problem. Live on the Newell and travel to the Gold Coast fairly regularly but love the LHD even with this downfall.

Will also be fitting UHF CB and most truckers will indicate when it is clear if they know you are there, not so lucky with the Grey Nomads, they seem to be in a world of their own. Trouble is I'm in that age group.  :lol:
The truckies will only indicate if you call them first on CH40. The company drivers have been told not to do it in case there is an accident, they will be liable.
When you get the UHF, make sure you get the new one with the extra tunable channels, so you can listen to the local coppers.
The Highway patrol candy cars have all gone digital so you wont hear them.
Make sure you scan CH18 so you can abuse those socks and sandal wearing, sitting on 82khm till the overtaking lane , tight arse Mexican Caravanners who sit in convoys so you cant pass them. :soapbox:
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline Red67Coupe

• Thoroughbred
  • Restored
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 12:07:20 pm »
Make sure you scan CH18 so you can abuse those socks and sandal wearing, sitting on 82khm till the overtaking lane , tight arse Mexican Caravanners who sit in convoys so you cant pass them. :soapbox:

Amen to that !  What is it with them - completely oblivious to anything going on around them   :thud:

The other option is to lean waaaaaaaaaaaaay over in the car to see around :grin:
Ken

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 12:43:31 pm »
The truckies will only indicate if you call them first on CH40. The company drivers have been told not to do it in case there is an accident, they will be liable.
When you get the UHF, make sure you get the new one with the extra tunable channels, so you can listen to the local coppers.
The Highway patrol candy cars have all gone digital so you wont hear them.

I've got an Icom 440 in my 4x4, all the controls are in the hand piece, so the transceiver is hidden, all you see is the mic and you can unplug it and see nothing at all works a treat, has the extra channels. Not the cheapest option though.

http://www.icom-australia.com/products/uhf/uhfcb_ic-440.html
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:45:50 pm by shaunp »

Offline 1966stang

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 01:08:14 pm »
I've got an Icom 440 in my 4x4, all the controls are in the hand piece, so the transceiver is hidden, all you see is the mic and you can unplug it and see nothing at all works a treat, has the extra channels. Not the cheapest option though.

http://www.icom-australia.com/products/uhf/uhfcb_ic-440.html

I am also a ham(radio type) so will be fitting one of my radios that also has UHF CB capacities. Has remote head so easy to hide and all the extra frequencies I need
Greg

Was 289 now 302

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 01:49:51 pm »
I am also a ham(radio type) so will be fitting one of my radios that also has UHF CB capacities. Has remote head so easy to hide and all the extra frequencies I need

And like everything else, all the coppers frequencies are her on the Interweb  :thumb:
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|