XR8 donor

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: XR8 donor  (Read 2818 times)

Offline noblg

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
XR8 donor
« on: May 27, 2013, 06:50:13 am »
Moriing all,
have just bought a 66 pony. i want it as my daily drive, i want to put all new running gear, motor box and suspension.  i have 2 options that i know of. Full RRS motor conversion and suspension/brakes or can i use a late model XR* as a donor and use all the front end components, suspension/motor/gearbox computer ect.  has any one done this as i would love to discuss.

Offline nicco

• Thoroughbred
    • http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Nicks67s/
Re: XR8 donor
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 07:10:52 am »
If you search through the old posts, you will find a few builds where the late model engine conversion has been done.

Offline noblg

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:49:23 am »
Can someone who has actually done a late model rest mod point me in the right directiion. cannot find to much info in previous threads

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:59:38 am »
You are best off to run an aftermarket ecu, depening on the falcon model you use as a doner are, as the factory stuff can be locked in with body computors etc, smart lock etc etc. The early auto 4 speeds havs a stand alone ecu that just need a TPS signal. You can run a Mega squirt or similar ecu for the engine, they self tune. You can't use the suspesnion at all. Factory suspension is fine just needs to be set up correctly.

Offline noblg

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:03:32 am »
Shaun,
thanks for the info, you have poited me in th eright direction.    let the games begin :evilone:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:20:10 am »
Shaun,
thanks for the info, you have poited me in th eright direction.    let the games begin :evilone:

So buy the earliest one you can. Mate has done a 65 FB, used an NC Fairlane as the doner, Mega squirt ecu, auto box had it's own ecu works fine. I'd get rid of the factory intake and use an Edelbrock victor injection manifold with central throttle body, and a Mega squirt, it saves on room and looks almost like it has a carby at a glance. Don't worry too much about an xr8 engine, you can buy way better heads then they had on them.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 11:12:14 am »
Just to clarify, are you talking AU or earlier XR-8 or BA & later? Much different animals. The advice you have received thus far is based on AU & earlier.