Best place to buy in the States???

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Best place to buy in the States???  (Read 6285 times)

Offline Perdo

• Pony
  • 1967 GTA S-Code Fastback
  • Name: Damien
  • Car: 1967 GTA FBack
Best place to buy in the States???
« on: May 22, 2013, 07:52:07 pm »
G'day all,

I have just been told through work that I will be going to live and work in the States (Georgia) for two years. While there the wife and I will need cars and I am hoping to buy a mustang that I can use for the two years and then bring home.

Can anyone suggest any good places to buy a good quality car. I am prepared to spend up to $50,000  to get a good one to bring home with me.
In addition, if anyone has any customs or importing issues I should be aware of these will all help and be appreciated.

Perdo

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Best place to buy in the States???
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:15:57 pm »
Georgia ,i have not been there for years, 1991 ,i had a 72 thunderbird 429 and it broke down and had to sell it cheap and fly back to LA . Anyway are you talking late model mustangs ,or classics . The late ones have to be converted to RHD ,and that is an arm and a leg ,around 35,000 plus . If it were me i would buy to late model cars to drive around ,then look around for 2 fastbacks 65 to 70 and bring those back .69 mach 1s are the go and you have the time to find the right ones at the right price .

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:22:07 pm »
Hey pedro ,we already have a pedro ,Peter in QLD .

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:23:56 pm »
Perdo ,my mistake not pedro your perdo .    :ouch:

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 08:48:23 pm »
Glasses Glenn! How many times do I have to tell you to put your glasses on.  LOL

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 08:51:55 pm »
WHO SAID THAT    :grin:

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:39:41 am »
Can anyone suggest any good places to buy a good quality car.

That's like asking where to buy a good quality car in Aus.

I agree with Glenn, drive around in something modern while keeping an eye out for a good classic and scour Craigslist, etc.  Online you have to be wary of scammers, if the price sounds too good to be true - SCAM!

s

Offline ScottW

• Worked
  • Fence Sitter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:47:02 am »
It might be an idea to read up on the personal import rules, as you might be able to bring in something a little different to the normal 'stock' mustang since you will be over there for so long.  Bringing a pro-tourer style car back would definitely be cool.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 06:07:49 am »
When you get here, give me a call and I can point you in the right direction

What you can or cant buy etc.

As for where to find one.....search the whole USA (ignore all the salt state quotes and rumours)

GA has some nice stuff advertised every now and then.

$50k...wow...start looking for a BOSS   :burnout:

Matt

Offline Perdo

• Pony
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 10:39:22 am »

Sorry forgot to mention the type of car I am hoping to get. You are correct in assuming that I am hoping to return with a classic era 66-69 model mustang. I currently have a66 convertible which I purchased off a gent here in Aus, but owning my first has given me a better understanding of these babies and I will now be hoping to get a numbers matching vehicle.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Perdo

Offline Perdo

• Pony
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 10:44:45 am »
When you get here, give me a call and I can point you in the right direction

Matt

Thanks Matt I will do.

Any suggestion to start my researching before I go?

I will also need a reliable family car for the wife and child if you have any thoughts.

Perdo

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 12:03:33 pm »
Sounds like you are going to have a great time over there searching for these cars. See if there is a local Mustang club where you will be living and join up. You will get a lot of assistance in your search.

Offline BossKraft

• Worked
    • Bosskraft
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 11:08:55 am »
Yeh I wouldn't rush into calling anybody or doing anything and I spend a LOT of time over there. Very few people that I would genuinely recommend to consistently find good quality vehicles. I do have good contacts that I trust, but like I say, very, very few of those in the game over there, are consistent with good cars. Be careful. Whenever money is involved, there are sharks or people with no idea trying to make a buck.

That being said, I spend a lot of time in GA and have found many good cars in that area. If you need any help, flick me an email and I'll help any way I can. bosskraft@hotmail.com
Sean McDonagh
MCA Gold Card Judge
Judge at SAAC events
Retired MOCA Head Judge (one of them)

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 10:32:14 pm »
Couldnt agree with you more shawn, way to many ar5ehats out there wanting to make a buck without giving a bit back. Good to see your offering your services for free aswell to help out another ozzie on his way over  :thumb: Sounds like you spend ALOT of time in GA aswell

Thanks Matt I will do.

Any suggestion to start my researching before I go?

I will also need a reliable family car for the wife and child if you have any thoughts.

Perdo

Perdo,

for family type cars, there everywhere and you,ll be very surprised at whats out there for the money. Depends on what your wanting but for $10,000 you'll get a nice Nissan Armada (Patrol style) or F150/Silverado crew cab/GMC SUV.....just depends on what your budget is.

If I were you, I would try and find something that can also be converted to RHD in OZ and bring that one back as a personal import. I can help ya with the paperwork when the time comes but you have to own the cr for 12 months before you can apply...its just an option you can look at.

Maybe ask around or make a post on the forum if anyone's is interested in a particular model that they would like to bring over but cant. Just remember, I think they rules have changed and you can only do a personal import every 5 years now as apposed to 1 a year. You would have to check that

As for GA, we have a place up in Alphretta and are there every 3-4 weeks often in transit so if you end up near there, maybe we can catch up for a beer.

TacoMac seems to be the main bar but theres plenty along the main drag with multiple restaurants

Theres a lot in and around Alphretta. The ozzie festival is held once a year in Cumming GA just 8 minutes up the road and if your looking for somewhere to unleash the fury of your mustang, theres a road that I can hook you up with that takes you all the way to NC that makes the tail of the dragon look like a summer camp. Awesome drive with scenery that will blow you away. Water falls, lakes rivers, tropical forests, cliff faces, streams, raging rivers and lots and lots of winding 4 lanes roads....all in one road....its just sensational.

Not sure where your heading in GA. NE of there is Hinesville.....if your looking at moving that side of town....its very rural and baron and I wouldnt move there for the love of god

As for cars (mustangs 65-69) we often search GA and find close to 100 cars but of them (based on photos only) 5 of them will be worth looking at. Once you know what area you'll be in GA, let me know and if we see anything, I can shoot you all the links

You can also search surrounding states. Alabama is only an hour away and and so is North Carolina (some areas). Ive also picked up some winners in Virginia.

With a budget of $50,000, your on a golden ticket. Most 428 R code 69's are advertised for that price and are quite willing to negotiate "DOWN" (just stay away from the one in NC for $52k...pile a shi7)...allready inspected it

We also post roughly 200-400 a cars a week on facebook so if you have that, jump on and have a look. Will give you a rough idea of whats for sale and how much asking prices are

https://www.facebook.com/shermatt.america/photos?collection_token=100000476899783%3A2305272732%3A6

There was a 69 Boss advertised up there last week for $46k that looked nice aswell but would assume its a driver however Ive bought nut and bolt resto'd ones for $40 with a little fatkid negotiating skills and an eager seller in need of cash.

Only bought a nut and bolt restored 69 428 R code 4 speed car a few days ago for $40k for one of our clients (incorrect carby and distributor but thats something that can be chased at a later date)...so there out there...you just have to find them

Theres also a fair few that have been advertised for close to 8 months in GA that are still for sale and of those Ive more than likely allready inspected them all. If you find something, I can send you the youtube video inspection if Ive allready looked at them.

Just remember, the prices of classics over here is "almost" half of what they sell for in Australia. (sometimes) so try not get carried away when you see something $10,000 cheaper than back in OZ as you have to remember that you still need to get that car home and theres a lot of $$ involved by the time its in your driveway in OZ.

I also have an ozzie mate up there that knocks around with the FORD sons that go's shooting every season together that I can introduce you too and maybe he can introduce you to them...or take you out for the day and show you around.

Theres also an Ozzie Bakery up there.  :thumb: best pepper pies Ive ever had. Very hard to find any kind of bakery like back home but this has it ALL. custard tarts, vanilla slices, every type of pie you can imagine...its fantastic if your sick to F@#k of eating the same old hot dog or burger.

Theres also a car show/drive night once a month (cant remember the city name but I have it at the office) only 40 mins from Alpha. Close to 300 cars randomly at any minute parking or driving through with a few rows dedicated to cars for sale (called a corral) Very good show with a lot of nice cars.

Every October in tampa is the Hotrod nationals and every Thanks giving in the US from Thurs-Sunday night in Daytona FL is the Turkey rod run. This is one you DO NOT MISS....especially if you havent bought a car yet. Over 2000 classics for sale and 10,000 in total show cars. And if you cant find a car for sale there, friday night at the Publix shopping centre car park has about 900 cars for sale of people that dont attend the show

Its well worth the drive from GA and wouldnt take you more than a 2-4 hour drive depending on where you end up residing in GA

Theres also alot of swap meets on the border of GA and FL. Very big with lots of cars aswell as parts and other stuff. Theres sometimes some good stuff in there

Once you know where your going to reside, shoot me an email and I can send you any links of cars in that area that you can check out and if Im in area, I can come with ya and maybe catch up for a beer

oh yeah...almost forgot, they have aussie rules footy clubs in Alphretta. I'll hook you up Leslie's number so you can maybe catch a few games or hook up with all the Ozzie boys

Clint also plays and is from WA and deals alot in Bank foreclosures and picks up 5 bedroom, 2 bath, twin garage houses between $48 and $140k and can do all the paperwork for Aussies to buy them without any dramas. Great guy to catch up for a beer aswell. Can shoot there details prior leaving Oz

Welcome to the US

Matt & Sheri
(0011-1) 727 364 8707

PS. If you get a chance to shoot off for a weekend with the Fam, head to St Augustine for the weekend. Oldest city in the USA. The spanish fort is amazing and so is the city. One of the nicest cities in the top end of FL.

Offline BossKraft

• Worked
    • Bosskraft
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 08:34:05 pm »
Pay attention, Matt. "Couldnt agree with you more shawn". If you look up about half a line from where you couldn't spell, my name is Sean.

Details, mate, details. That's what people want to see. Same applies to looking at cars! Don't miss the details..!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:39:24 pm by BossKraft »
Sean McDonagh
MCA Gold Card Judge
Judge at SAAC events
Retired MOCA Head Judge (one of them)