Are all 2002 Cobras Supercharged?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Are all 2002 Cobras Supercharged?  (Read 8411 times)

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
Are all 2002 Cobras Supercharged?
« on: May 11, 2013, 08:13:04 pm »
Hi guys,

Am looking at buying an 02 cobra, I note that some are advertised as Supercharged V8s, others as just V8's. I have tried to find out from the all knowing Google and have managed to establish that only around 100 02 Cobras were built - and all were shipped to Oz, but were all Supercharged from the factory? If not, were any? How many?

I know I don't ask for much. Oh, BTW - anything to be mindful of when inspecting (oil leaks, rubbers, etc). Cheers.
IMG

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
Re: Are all 2002 Cobras Supercharged?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 09:00:09 pm »
Nope - the only Cobra's that were Supercharged from the factory were the 2003/2004 Cobras and none were bought into the country by the factory. They had cast iron blocks, Bilstein front shocks, fatter rear half-shafts, different rear end ratio, 6-speed trans, different interior and a gob more power...

I've had one the the 100 x 2002 Cobra's (only sold in Australia, so very rare) since new and put close to 200,000 kms on it, apart from the clutch cable breaking about 3 or 4 times and the clip at the top of the clutch cable breaking twice, the only thing that's gone wrong with it has been the light bulb in the trunk and another above the numberplate. although, I have worn a hole in the side of the drivers seat, worn a hole in the mat on the floor on the drivers side, worn out the texture on the steering wheel, gone through more brakes and tires than I can really account for, they're a brilliant buy.

Truly a rock-solid car - they go ok, get reasonably good economy, handle ok, stop ok, sound good, look pretty good - but the interior is pretty basic. The design of the dash, pedals etc is mid-80's and improved upon but not redesigned. The seats are nice, the stereo is great, the A/C  works, the lumber in the seat is a lifesaver if you have a sore back and the clutch is leg-pumpingly heavy.

But I love mine, it's just f$@king fantastic and I've got no real plans of selling it. I lowered it ( I think they sit too high stock standard), put larger Cobra 'R' replica wheels on it with fatter tires and it gets looks and compliments all the time, and you can drive it to work every day and feel like a dog with two dicks. They're a great car, just be prepared to be shocked by how rudimentary they are when you first drive it. Refined, smooth and elegant they're not, it's a real blue collar muscle car and if that floats your boat, buy a matching life jacket when you get your Cobra.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:06:36 pm by jiffy »
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 12:33:37 pm »
Jiffy,

Thanks for the info. I have seen your posts before and figure you were a bit knowledgeable on these cars. I see you also have a 69 CJ - my fave is the 69 Mach 1 (I've had 2). Would love another one but for the money I have I can get an ordinary Mach 1 or a decent Cobra with enough left over for a Harley! That way I have a convertible and the minister for finance is happy.

I'm looking at one at a dealer in Melbourne for $39k (rego SVTANG), claims to be supercharged so must be aftermarket. Is that an issue? No pic of the engine but the car looks pretty f*%in' sweet!

cheers for the info
IMG

Offline GT350H

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 01:38:35 pm »
Jiffy,

Thanks for the info. I have seen your posts before and figure you were a bit knowledgeable on these cars. I see you also have a 69 CJ - my fave is the 69 Mach 1 (I've had 2). Would love another one but for the money I have I can get an ordinary Mach 1 or a decent Cobra with enough left over for a Harley! That way I have a convertible and the minister for finance is happy.

I'm looking at one at a dealer in Melbourne for $39k (rego SVTANG), claims to be supercharged so must be aftermarket. Is that an issue? No pic of the engine but the car looks pretty f*%in' sweet!

cheers for the info

Is it this one?
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/ford-mustang-2002-14664738?silo=Stock&cr=0&eapi=2&vertical=Car&find=2002 cobra|CarAll&keyword&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294966191 4294966463 4294922253
AKA Emberglo-66

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 06:49:08 pm »
Yep! Thats the one I'm looking at. Also looking at one in Caloundra (01 GT $39k - probably a bit too pricey for a non Cobra auto with 70ks), a blue 02 in Vic (plain but honest) also $38. Happy to pay a premium price for the right car. Not fussed on the reddish colour, but it looks damn nice!

Not buying today (waiting for an insurance cheque now overdue but in the mail) so hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

Then it is a road trip (with my ncle in his 02 Cobra convertible of course) to either Vic or Qld to pick up!

Will keep u posted - and thanks Jiffy for the advice. Looking at putting a shaker on it (love the Mach 1's), maybe a flash tune, and new exhaust (depending on the note) and pretty much that's it!
IMG

Offline walbjj

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 08:30:26 pm »
Nope - the only Cobra's that were Supercharged from the factory were the 2003/2004 Cobras and none were bought into the country by the factory. They had cast iron blocks, Bilstein front shocks, fatter rear half-shafts, different rear end ratio, 6-speed trans, different interior and a gob more power...

I've had one the the 100 x 2002 Cobra's (only sold in Australia, so very rare) since new and put close to 200,000 kms on it, apart from the clutch cable breaking about 3 or 4 times and the clip at the top of the clutch cable breaking twice, the only thing that's gone wrong with it has been the light bulb in the trunk and another above the numberplate. although, I have worn a hole in the side of the drivers seat, worn a hole in the mat on the floor on the drivers side, worn out the texture on the steering wheel, gone through more brakes and tires than I can really account for, they're a brilliant buy.

Truly a rock-solid car - they go ok, get reasonably good economy, handle ok, stop ok, sound good, look pretty good - but the interior is pretty basic. The design of the dash, pedals etc is mid-80's and improved upon but not redesigned. The seats are nice, the stereo is great, the A/C  works, the lumber in the seat is a lifesaver if you have a sore back and the clutch is leg-pumpingly heavy.

But I love mine, it's just f$@king fantastic and I've got no real plans of selling it. I lowered it ( I think they sit too high stock standard), put larger Cobra 'R' replica wheels on it with fatter tires and it gets looks and compliments all the time, and you can drive it to work every day and feel like a dog with two dicks. They're a great car, just be prepared to be shocked by how rudimentary they are when you first drive it. Refined, smooth and elegant they're not, it's a real blue collar muscle car and if that floats your boat, buy a matching life jacket when you get your Cobra.

yeah, my brother had a 2001 cobra convertible. he bought it new back in the day. actually, it was a demo with about 1000km on it and i think he paid $80k back then. i read all the press on it, fte put something like 150+ man hours in its conversion for each one. not sure where all that time went, probably lazy union labour.
in all honesty, its probably one of the worst drivers cars ive ever had the misfortune of driving. sure it had a nice engine note, but everything about it was terrible. poor build quality EVERYWHERE.
it wasnt even that powerful, lazy engineering from the motor builders. 240 kw from the 4.6l wasnt it?
anyway, he kept it for about 11 years before getting his current 2011 shelby gt 500 svt convertible, and its night and day

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 08:59:48 pm »
Hi Dave
It's the red one for me. Different from everyone else's blue ones. And low Ks to boot. Appears the blower is aftermarket ,but also has the rear seat cover. I know it says 02 but maybe it was built late 02 as model year starts in September the previous year in the US. Noticed the car had a recent modification. Do you know what it was.
Stormin

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 09:54:16 pm »
The recent modification is the last date the advert was modified.
The car is a 2002 model - it doesn't have the 2003/4 hood, guards, interior, bumpers, dash, gearbox etc.
It's for sure a 2001/2 car (although I got mine brand new on the 15th November or December 2003 IIRC)

Like I said, they aren't refined, but they are reliable. If it's got an aftermarket blower - you need to be careful. This model didn't have the forged rods, pistons or crank - too much pressure and you'll corkscrew the rods in no time. Find out who did it, is it intercooled, what's the max pressure (and how do they know that?) and what's the power - anything over about 420/430hp at the crank and you'll find the limits of the motor (and your bank account)
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 07:13:40 pm »
Just an update.

I have spoken to the dealer in Melbourne. It is an aftermarket supercharger. The owner of the vehicle is apparently a mechanical engineer and has done all the engine modifications himself. He apparentlyruns a Mustang restoration business in Melbourne (don't ask me who/where - I don't know).

Anyways, I have concerns that the modifications done in Vic, whilst allowing it to be registered there, does not necessarily mean it will pass a blue slip here. Have decided to pass.

Going back to the 69 Mach 1. Have a few fingers ina few pies so watch this space...
IMG

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 07:16:57 pm »
Good to hear, I reckon the 69 looks much better, classic over plastic any day :thumb:

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 07:28:59 pm »
Yes,

I was trying to think of my wife - who loves the cobras.

In the end she told me "I don't know why you're bothering, unless it's a (69) Mach 1, you will never be happy"

Aahh...she knows me so well!!!!

:event:
IMG

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 08:09:02 pm »
Good to hear, I reckon the 69 looks much better, classic over plastic any day :thumb:

:agree: Stick with the classics !!!

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 04:24:21 pm »
Just to end this thread - my avatar pic is my new 69 Mach 1.

Problem sorted!!

:pepper:
IMG