Oil coming outof dipstick

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Oil coming outof dipstick  (Read 8992 times)

Offline Andy68coupe

• Pony
Oil coming outof dipstick
« on: April 22, 2013, 01:14:02 pm »
hi everyone,

i'm havin trouble with my 68 coupe ive redone the intake manifold gasket, replaced the rocket cover gasket, transmission gasket, and sump gasket becuase they all had leaks. Put a new breather and pcv valve in but yet when the car is under load oil is still coming out of the dipstick but no smoke is coming out the exhaust so i am stuck with no smoke there can't be a bad piston ring??? my pvc hose goes to the back of the carby is that right??

i'm at a loss so any help is muchly appreciated

cheers andy

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Re: Oil coming outof dipstick
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:43:08 pm »
Hey Andy.

I think you pvc hose needs to go the intake manifold - not the carby. Check that.

You may also have another hose to the air cleaner , but not to the carby I don't think.

also make sure if it working and installed correctly so the flow is to the intake. Also check it's the right pvc for your engine. If it is not, then it can flow too much or not enough air out of the crankcase.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Andy68coupe

• Pony
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:53:16 pm »
hi frank i dont have the breather hose anymore i got rid of it and put a pod breather. i got the pcv from east coast mustangs down in melbourne and they said it would be fine.

i dont know ill check those things.

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 01:59:31 pm »
Hi, the hose from the pcv valve attaches to the base of the carby. If you are getting oil coming from your dipstick the pcv valve may not be functioning correctly.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:01:36 pm by 68Coupe »

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:18:00 pm »
Hi Andy.

Well if you have a pod pvc breather from East Coast Mustangs, then it must be OK .

so it will be something else ... you don't just have too much oil in there ?  Cant think what else could cause that.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 02:23:50 pm »
Andy.

If it's not simple , ie. pvc or oil overfill , or  you may want to change the oil and filter if you didnt already do so just in case the dipstick is wrong or reading wrong. then put the 5 or 6 litres of oil as required.

otherwise, then yes you may have a piston leak or piston ring leak.

You can check that pretty easily by cranking  the engine over to top dead centre (tdc) and then removing a spark plug and with a compressor blow 100psi into the cylinders one by one. IF you hear the air escaping past the cylinder, heads, and into the intake / carby then you have a problem.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Andy68coupe

• Pony
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 02:37:10 pm »
thanks mate oil filter is new and if anything might have less oil. doesnt quite meet half way on the dipstick, because i keep loosing it.. hahaha

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 06:31:43 pm »
If it's coming out the top of tube and it has a bit of felt there, and the PVC is working correctly I'd say it got plenty of blow by ie the compression rings are toast, this doent mean it will blow smoke, This can often happen on an old engine if you reco the heads, the oils ring can work fine but the top ring lets the compression by. Whne the engine is runing at fast idle the vac from the pcv should suck a bit of paper on to the rocker caver with oil filler cap off. That's how you test it.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 09:18:58 pm »
It sounds like the rings are shot and compression is getting past them into the crankcase. 

Do a compression test on each of the cylinders and see what you get...  Its easy.   :thumb:

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 09:28:48 pm »
It sounds like the rings are shot and compression is getting past them into the crankcase. 

Do a compression test on each of the cylinders and see what you get...  Its easy.   :thumb:

That is exactly the condition of the original motor my convertible had, and out she went! :burnout:

Cheers Bee

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:33 pm »
Mine did the same thing, only out the breather cap on the rocker cover,

so out she came and did a full rebuild on her  :thumb:

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 10:40:45 pm »
Mine did the same thing, only out the breather cap on the rocker cover,

so out she came and did a full rebuild on her  :thumb:

You are more talented and patient than I am!!! :bow:
Cheers Bee

Offline Andy68coupe

• Pony
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 08:56:18 am »
thanks guys the thing i dont get is that it runs really well and there isnt really any symtoms apart from the dipstick.

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 09:33:55 am »
save yourself any further anguish and do a compression test!
then you will now one way or another
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 10:06:52 am »
Compression rings are shot and most likely the pistons skirts are cracked and compression is going into the sump . If you just want to drive it as is and not fix it ,take your valve covers off and fit to more breathers and slide a tube over the dip stick tube ,a couple of 100 mm long to stop the oil coming up .You can just take it off to check the oil level . If you dont relieve the compression into the sump you will blow out gaskets and always oil leaks . Or rebuild the engine .

Offline Andy68coupe

• Pony
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 12:02:37 pm »
sounds like an engine rebuild is on the cards.. where is a good supplier for pistons and rings things???

cheers

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 12:05:21 pm »
Its not a hard test to complete.  Other symptoms would be that the car is down on power.  If it is its not a big job to rebuild her.

The other end of this is the oil that ends up on the road.  It only needs a small bit to bring a motorcycle down and cars generally drop it on big bumps in the road or sitting at lights prior to intersections.  A very dangerous place for any oil to be leaked onto the road.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 01:55:02 pm »
Pistons and ring things ,not quite that easy .A full strip down and rebuild is on the cards .

Offline Andy68coupe

• Pony
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 02:09:50 pm »
where would you recommend getting a complete rebuild kit???

Offline Andy68coupe

• Pony
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 02:29:07 pm »
why is piston and rings not all you have to do seein as that could very well be the problem??? i it goin to fix the problem for a while as i am looking at replacing the original heads and intake manifold and cam and all that stuff in the next year or so???

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 04:47:08 pm »
Sorry but it does not work that way . At best you have only have to hone the bores and fit new rings .To pull the pistons you will be pulling the engine out and apart ,then it does not stop there ,oil pump , timing chain set, bearings and maybe a crank grind etc . The windsor pistons will most likely be cracked .  Get the engine breathing better and see how it goes and start saving for a rebuild or a crate motor, that may end up being a cheaper way to go .

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 06:39:33 pm »
Andy, where are you ...  it's not on your listing?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 07:18:45 pm »
why is piston and rings not all you have to do seein as that could very well be the problem??? i it goin to fix the problem for a while as i am looking at replacing the original heads and intake manifold and cam and all that stuff in the next year or so???
Do a compression test first dry and wet, this  will confirm crook rings or not, in real terms you will do a full rebuild once you strip, cam lifters bearings, may as well put hard seast in the heads etc or get some aftermarket ones. You can do a car yard re-ring job ie quick hone, new rings, and big ends, you can do that in the car, but I don't think that's what you really want long term.

Offline Andy68coupe

• Pony
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 08:53:19 am »
Andy, where are you ...  it's not on your listing?
i'm in narooma down the far south coast nsw.

Offline Andy68coupe

• Pony
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 08:57:22 am »
Do a compression test first dry and wet, this  will confirm crook rings or not, in real terms you will do a full rebuild once you strip, cam lifters bearings, may as well put hard seast in the heads etc or get some aftermarket ones. You can do a car yard re-ring job ie quick hone, new rings, and big ends, you can do that in the car, but I don't think that's what you really want long term.

thanks shaun. like i said in the near future i want to pull the engine out and work it. but i have only just really brought the car so i would like to have a bit more time tidying it up and driving it before i pull the engine out. so will rings and pistons do for 6 to 12 months??