rhd cost on 66

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: rhd cost on 66  (Read 11357 times)

Offline noblg

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
rhd cost on 66
« on: April 09, 2013, 07:36:46 pm »
hi all,
as a newby i was wanting some advice- i am after a 65-67 stang coupe. how much would it be (ball park) for a RHD conversion, and who you would suggest in wollongong sydney area. and how much for it to be engineered...
or do i try to buy either a RHD shell, as i want to do a full everything new rebuild....any thoughts

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: rhd cost on 66
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:21:42 pm »
Huge job ,and how long is a piece of string .A conversion will vary and around 15,000 dollars depending on the extras the car has and what you want replaced . If you want to fully rebuild a stang start with a good body no rust and lhd .Why would you want a RHD anyway unless you want to drive it everyday and even that doesnt mean you have to.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 08:49:40 pm »
Cost will depend on if the car is all ready in bits, if it has AC, auto/manual, if you want it drive in drive out. There is a far bit of work in it see below.

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,4261.0.html

Offline LA PONY

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm still new here
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 10:23:30 pm »
Yeah i agree with Glenn, what is the reason you want a RHD. I was a little worried about it at first but it's realy not that bad, a novelty infact. It dont take long to get used to it, once you stop belting your left elbow on the door reaching for the gears & you get the knack of looking up to the right for the rear vision mirror it's good fun. Try it before you convert it & you may be surprised. Good luck with your search & purchase.
cheers Rob   :event:

Offline noblg

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 07:08:31 am »
thanks guys for the response's. i want the car as a daily driver. i was looking at rrs conversion kit. i know its dearer than cutting up the original firewall dash ect. however it appears that it would be a whole lot easier and a better job.  whta are your thoughts? oh and how much for an engineers certificate.
thanks

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 08:52:17 am »
thanks guys for the response's. i want the car as a daily driver. i was looking at rrs conversion kit. i know its dearer than cutting up the original firewall dash ect. however it appears that it would be a whole lot easier and a better job.  whta are your thoughts? oh and how much for an engineers certificate.
thanks

As for the Dyna corn stuff, the firewall is just flat, this limits the use of AC which is intergrated in 67 on, cars,they need the hump in the firewall to fit the AC, you could use an early falcon heater box though with no AC as Falcons have a pretty flat wall. Dash would be ok, but the dash is not that hard to do, other than the plastics. The other issue with Dyna corn fire wall, is it kind of assumes you will use the LHD pedals etc which is not the best way to do it, better to use RHD falcon units, as the pedals are bent correctly and end up in the right spot. The plenum would be ok, but only if you were swaping it out due to yours being rusty, again not that hard to shift the wipe mounts. Don't think Dyna corn make pre67 RHD metal either.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 11:02:08 am »
I want the car as a daily driver.

Driving it daily will get you used to driving LHD even quicker.

I say give it a good test run, if it really bothers you after a decent while, then do the conversion.

s

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 10:05:53 pm »
About 15k will see you sorted in most cases. We have done them both using the RRS stuff & converting the original panels. The only time I would recommend using the RRS panels is if your originals need replacing due to rust. Even in that case I would just make the firewall. The RRS firewall still needs plenty of modification depending on what your setup is. RHD is a matter of choice, I prefer it myself & others swear by LHD. Pretty much every thread ever started on the forum about RHD conversions will have more replies trying to convince the OP not to do it. I say do what you feel most comfortable with.

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 11:42:44 pm »
Driving a LHD car certainly gets rid of that blind spot on the left hand side of the car.
I don't have a problem changing into the RH lane either. I check the internal rear view mirror, then the outside mirror, then a head check before I change lanes.
The only problem I've encountered so far is going through a drive through without a passenger. Short of reversing through, I haven't come up with a solution.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 07:23:15 am »
Driving a LHD car certainly gets rid of that blind spot on the left hand side of the car.

... and changes it to the right hand side of the car, lol.

There's a situation where if you're turning left into a merging lane your vision is a little obstructed but if you have a fastback with a Shelby glass panel where the side louvres are you'll be sweet. 

s

Offline dead66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 12:14:37 am »
Hi Guys,I have been making the same inquiries as to conversion costs for a 67 and so far they range from $10500 to $15000 with Melbourne the cheapest but I have been told there are cheaper ones in Sydney. I am ready to buy another mustang as I sold my dead 66 RHD model as it was taking up to much room and I am not well enough too fix it.
I have two LHD cars here now and one is a pain in the rear end for me to get into and the other has moveable steering wheel which helps but with the wife screaming about the cars coming in to her and trucks so close that my nerves can not take another LHD and I do not like LHD  as once converted the car is worth more any way. I have a LHD 65 Rambler that I want to sell and a LHD 66 Thunderbird which I drove through Melbourne in peak hour and it was madness to try in hind sight.
Three things that I learned while driving in Victoria,  you can get a permit to drive from Melbourne to any where in Australia day and night for $44 for five days.
If you get a permit stick it on the screen as it blows out when sitting on the dash and the cops want it stuck on the screen as they can not handle cars with no plates.
Thirdly Coles Shell stations will not sell you petrol if your car has no plates and the dick heads at the Bunker hill site treated me like a thief because I was filling my car with the permit on the screen, never use them again.  Ray

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 01:24:50 pm »
I have two LHD cars here now and one is a pain in the rear end for me to get into

If it's because the seat doesn't go back far enough, you can try this:

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,18004.msg188343.html#msg188343

you can get a permit to drive from Melbourne to any where in Australia day and night for $44 for five days.

They're called Unregistered Vehicle Permits (UVPs) in Sydney and valid for 28 days.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/unregisteredvehicles/uvp.html

s

Offline dead66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 07:00:02 pm »
Hi there, I could have had longer but thats all I requested and I did the deal over the phone with no pink slip crap so it was easy for me. the problem with the car is me getting into the car is that its a convertible and with the top down I can step into it but once the top is up its just to low so it has to go as it snows here and I am not driving around in that cold with the top down....The seats are easy to move anyway as I did it once before by re drilling the holes. Ray

Offline dead66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 11:42:20 pm »
Hi Guys, I have been chasing around and found a workshop that dose conversions not far from home for $10K so  he has the job so we are off tomorrow to check out a 68coupe and it will be converted... Ray

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 08:25:19 am »
Hi Guys, I have been chasing around and found a workshop that does conversions not far from home for $10K so  he has the job

Try to check out some examples of his previous work if you can. Also, you want to know what you're getting and if there's anything left out in that price.  Is it drive in, drive out or will there be further work/parts required?

s

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 02:16:44 pm »
Make sure RHS wipers are included and if possible get the converter to organise the engineering report. Or at least get the engineering signed off before collecting the car from the converter.

Otherwise you pay for the conversion, then go into the hands of the engineer as to whether he will approve or not. If not, then there's potential for conflict.

Offline dead66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 12:29:36 am »
I will check that on Friday and thank you as I have paid the holding fee on the car today.. Ray

Offline dead66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 10:14:56 pm »
Hi Guys, well we now have a 68 coupe and it looks great  and a near full rebuild so there is bugger all to do. I will send the car off next week to be converted and the guy has a good name so it will be just what I want. He supply's the report after its done so no problem there and it was so easy as the way bridge ticket and blue slip came with it but I have to get some better wheels as I do not like the mono mags that are on it so I am looking for chrome 12 slot's... Ray

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 10:32:17 pm »
Hi Guys, well we now have a 68 coupe and it looks great

Start a thread in members rides and put up plenty of pics.

Congratulations.

:thumb:

s

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 11:19:04 pm »
Well done - love the '68 coupes.  :thumb:

Offline karong123

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 12:37:49 pm »
does anyone have a working 1967-69 v6 auto mustang? do you know any one who want $15000 for one. delver or pick up in the ACT Canberra? where could i look

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 12:42:28 pm »
karong123
 67-69 did not have V6. Inline 6 or V8 only. You won't get anything decent for 15K.

Offline MachAttack

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 01:03:27 pm »
Karong, a new member resurrecting old threads and posting very vague wanted ads makes it look like the work of a scammer. If you're legit then place a wanted ad of your own on here, I'm sure you'll get more responses that way.