2002 cobra mustangs Looking for our first mustang and need some info

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 2002 cobra mustangs Looking for our first mustang and need some info  (Read 6233 times)

Offline Nicks 2002

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
Hi All

Can anyone please let me know if there were any 2002 cobra convertible special build/number  cars  for Australia
and if so how can you tell / was there any special markings ?
And what sort of money would they be worth

Thanks heaps if anyone can inform me

Regards
 :flag:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:00:43 pm by Nicks 2002 »

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
Yes there were. There was an article in the Unique Cars magazine last year about them and nominated them as future collectibles.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:33:39 pm by mwizz »

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500

Offline Paul Clark

• Thoroughbred
That pretty much tells the story, fabulous cars, especially the convertible.  Price wise these days, anyone's guess, I've seen a variety of prices.  My black convertible will possibly be up for sale shortly.

Offline GT350H

• Worked
I sold my 2002 SVT Cobra Coupe 12 months ago for $43k.
It was blue and had 44,000 km.
Condition was 9/10.

An absolute pleasure to drive. Great exhaust note, heaps of torque and fantastic suspension/steering/brakes.
I would buy another without doubt.

I reckon the price has come back a bit but should bounce back.
AKA Emberglo-66

Online jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
I've had my 2002 Mustang Cobra since new and love it.
I don't think that there are any 2001/2002 cobras in Australia that weren't brought in and sold by Ford, but there could be a couple. I know that there are some 2003/2004 Cobras in Australia (having seen them myself) but they are different from the Australian imported ones in a couple of ways - the most important being the cast iron block, 4.6ltr supercharged 6 speed drivetrain, the Australian cars having an all-alloy normally aspirated 4.6ltr 5 speed drivetrain...

Also, Australian Cobras have the extra set of spotlights/sidelights in the front bumper due to the fact the the car doesn't have side lights as standard, it's unlikely that a grey import cobra will have these...
2001 Australian Cobra

2001 American Cobra

the cars are very reliable - I have done around 200K in my car, and I have had very little trouble other than this -  it's broken the clutch cable about 4 times and the clip at the top of the clutch cable three times leaving me stranded on the road each time (luckily close to home normally) - the clutch is heavy and the cable is a weak point and it is certainly worth getting a spare. Ford Australia is out of them, they're different to the US clutch cable, so if you get the car, take the cable off one day and go to a cable maker and ask for them to make you a spare. I have a spare one and I have used it twice until I get my original cable rebuilt. The clip is about $15 available from Ford (they have about 4000 left....).

I have had a light bulb blow above the numberplate, and the bulb in the boot broke. The remote key fob is rubbish - buy a pair of more modern ones, they're SO easy to sync with your car - they work 15m away from the car unlike the originals that almost need to be touched to the car to work. Here's an ebay auction for two new ones for $30.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-KEYLESS-REMOTE-FOBS-CONTROL-ENTRY-OEM-KEYFOB-ALARM-BOB-TRANSMITTER-PHOB-/310620053237?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item485265def5&vxp=mtr

Ford Australia wanted around $885 for front disc pads (fitted) about 5 years ago, so I now buy sets of slotted, cross-drilled front and rear discs and pads for about $150 in the US.

I have worn through the cover of the drivers seat around the side-bolster, seat covers are unavailable in the US but can be bought here ($1800 for the top, $1400 for the bottom!) so if the car you buy has good seats, get sheep-skin covers or similar to protect them.

The stereo is great, my steering shaft is worn and has some play in it, but no sweat. The carpets are good but I replaced the mats about 50K ago and they're cheap to get.

Otherwise, everything else you read is true - rock solid reliable, not at all refined due to the mid-80's architecture, reasonable steering and brakes and the ride is ok, but the car sits too high on the stock rims. Lowering it and putting on bigger wheels is a must, but that makes the ride very hard as the dampers and now closer to mid-stroke, but the upside is they then corner on rails with no body-roll. Plastic fit is ok but not great by modern standards, the exhaust note is nice, they rev pretty well (even though the 6,800rpm red-line is a bit ambitious) but lowered, wheels, decent exhaust and a tune should see you at around 375hp with enough poke to match the looks.

And speaking of looks, everyone looks. All the time.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:10:04 pm by jiffy »
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)