What did you do for your Mustang today?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: What did you do for your Mustang today?  (Read 658117 times)

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
Re: What did you do for your Mustang today?
« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2013, 09:43:39 am »
I got my doors and windows working fine and got grease into the tracks so the rollers do it easy from now on, I got my hydraulics working for my convertible top, still waiting for my clevis pin kit but I got a great deal from Mustangs of Melbourne, same price as CJ's but a pittance for freight, i hope they keep that up.

The hydraulics went fine in the end but I lost a lot of time trying to bleed it with the battery charger instead of direct power from the battery. I had to mix Power steering fluid with Auto transmission fluid to make up my quantity , is that a problem, does anybody know? Once the battery was connected it was a 5 minute job. I learnt to be careful closing the top without the Clevis pins in place, one of the rams was fouling on the clevis mounting due to alignment issue.

I got stumped when I looked at the bumper bar protection chrome and left it for next time.

I got a mile of fish oil into the seems while I have the chance, prior to carpet installation.

The boot rubber was not as straight forward as it could have been when I installed it to the trunk part of the car instead of the lid. Fortunately it peeled away and petrol cleaned off the contact adhesive.

My car is leaking power steering fluid, water and possibly transmission fluid ( not from the power top , thank goodness)  so my mechanic will be busy when he gets back, I hope it is just some tightening required, I'll try to figure it out next visit.

All in all not a bad weekend but I was taken back to see the time was 12.20 on my car clock as I left last night. Hard work can be tiring but the sense of achievement is great and I just simply don't have the dollars to pay someone else any more.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:50:51 am by Mustangpaul »
1967 Mustang Convertible with fries and the works, hold the rust, no timber thank you, go easy on the Bondo and I'll have that in Right Hand Drive please.

Offline 1966stang

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Greg
« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2013, 10:50:33 am »
Taken the girl to the beauty shop (spray painter) for a bit of cosmetic work on her nose and some small blemishes on her rear.

New headlight bucket assemblies, repaint hood to get rid of the fish eyes, orange peel etc. Also to better fit the lower valance panel to the front guards and a couple of paint chips.

New windscreen and replacing rear window trim is next on the list. 
Greg

'66 C code Coupe, Wimbledon White
Was 289 now 302

Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advice.

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2013, 10:16:16 am »
I fitted my rear bumper guards last night and replaced my Convertible top rubber weather seal, both jobs went well but I needed to drill through the rear valance to fit the rear bumper guard. It is incredible how many nuts and bolts go back into the car on re assembly. Small little bits and pieces every where. I will post some pics soon of my progress.
1967 Mustang Convertible with fries and the works, hold the rust, no timber thank you, go easy on the Bondo and I'll have that in Right Hand Drive please.

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2013, 10:15:58 am »
 I finished tightening my front valance and installed my bumper protectors. I took photos with my cell phone camera at 11 PM so I apologize for their quality.  I do promise to take some good photos with my digital camera when I can.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:24:08 am by Mustangpaul »

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2013, 02:30:16 pm »
After a busy lunchtime I made some more progress and took some better pictures, still with my mobile phone but better that last post.
I got the clevis pin set in place and my top now goes up and down, I got my FORD badge on the hood, my running horse on drivers side and some better photos of the bumper guard protectors.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 02:47:50 pm by Mustangpaul »

Offline George

• Worked
  • ._.
« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2013, 05:15:30 pm »
Spent near 1000 to sort my brakes out, lines, shoes, service, wheel baring adjustments, headlights and blue slip  :tissue:
Revelation 14:6-12

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2013, 05:19:23 pm »
Did they get the brakes sorted out, George?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline George

• Worked
  • ._.
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2013, 06:18:10 pm »
Yes Ash and thank you. They got 2 new shoes for the front brakes from Hills Mustangs, they pulled the rear ones apart, my lines were cracked (probably why things did not work). Hills Mustangs told me its highly unlikely to be the thingy (errr) we talked about as that generally does not wreck just like that. Considering I had broken hoses... that very well COULD be the issue. Car should be ready for pickup tomorrow with all things sorted out.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2013, 06:21:19 pm »
Good stuff  :thumb: At least the guys there could help you out and get you on the way to being on the road. Good to know now too they've been checked with new lines and fresh fluid and it wont be a question mark in the back of your mind.

Offline Mattstang

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Matt
« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2013, 07:06:07 pm »
Drained ,completely stripped out and flushed the radiator in my 65. Only some loose scale came out of the top tank.
Fitted everything back up along with a TEFBA in line filter, refilled and flushed with fresh water twice.The thermostat (160Deg) had opened at about Qtr. gauge.
Drained once again ,refilled with 5Ltrs of NULON 100% concentrate anti freeze / anti boil and topped up with distilled water.
Went for about a 15 mile cruise late today,temp gauge reached about half scale. Pulled up at home to check for leaks, all good!!  :smile01:

Found time to drain down the radiator halfway to service the TEFBA inline filter. Probably covered about 2 to 3oo miles since I installed it.
Ran the course gauze to find some loose scale particles and a small chunk of black gasket sealant, more than likely from the water pump upgrade about a year ago.
The coolant is as clean as the day I refilled it and the filter seems to be doing a good job.  :thumb:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2013, 07:12:42 pm »
Spent near 1000 to sort my brakes out, lines, shoes, service, wheel baring adjustments, headlights and blue slip  :tissue:

$1K to fix the drums?  Shoes are about $40 a set, Drums are about $70 each new, wheel cylinders about $30 each new. Where do you get $1K. Are you kidding me. 8m of hard brake line is $50, flare nuts are like $1 each.

After July for anyone in SEQ I'll be working for myself doing this type of work, at resonable prices.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:25:36 pm by shaunp »

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2013, 07:25:43 pm »
I'm guessing the $134.30 for the imported light vehicle blue slip plus $99/hour labour on the work would have taken a good chunk of that $1k.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2013, 07:34:59 pm »
Sounds like they only made a couple of lines, swaped out some shoes though. Brake part are cheap for these things but I wouldn't be getting them from a mustang supplier, RDA make all the drum new, lat lot I got were about $68 each new, reonded linings cheap as. swap some lights, fit shoes front and rear, brake line make up , bleed 3 hours would pull it up.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:38:16 pm by shaunp »

Offline Raven

• Worked
« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2013, 07:46:10 pm »
Ash and Shaun. Can we meet half way. I am sure George can't wait to get a few klm's under his belt.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2013, 07:49:45 pm »
I talked to George yesterday after he gave us a call. It sounded like the guys working on it were quite unsure what was going on. It was good to hear it's already all done with blueslip in hand. He'll be on the road in no time.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2013, 07:57:32 pm »
Ash and Shaun. Can we meet half way. I am sure George can't wait to get a few klm's under his belt.

I wouldn't be driving it too far yet, fresh of the boat, brakes were toast, so it's been sitting I'd say, I'd be putting some "close to home" miles on it first, before a road trip. I'll be finishing up work in the next few weeks, so I'll have a break and get my car going, so would be in a road trip later in the year for sure. Plan on heading down to see Bosscraft and his dad.

Offline Raven

• Worked
« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2013, 08:21:17 pm »
I have been slowly picking up bits and pieces for my 67 k code fastback, which I plan to restore once I complete my convertible. Just sourced a nos C8 replacement balancer.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #217 on: May 15, 2013, 08:39:22 pm »
Nice, I was supposed to be coming down next week end to pick a 67 GT 390 FB project with a mate that has just landed, but my duaghter is having day surgery on the monday so, need to hang around home. Want catch up with some of you sydney blokes though.

Offline George

• Worked
  • ._.
« Reply #218 on: May 15, 2013, 09:04:14 pm »
I am only going to drive it home..... sydney to well... ALmost bathurst. 150km to be exact.

Will let you know how she runs, and stops through the mountains....... if not......  :flag:

Offline Raven

• Worked
« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2013, 09:46:40 pm »
Nice, I was supposed to be coming down next week end to pick a 67 GT 390 FB project with a mate that has just landed, but my duaghter is having day surgery on the monday so, need to hang around home. Want catch up with some of you sydney blokes though.

Let us know when your down, as it would be good to catch up.

I am only going to drive it home..... sydney to well... ALmost bathurst. 150km to be exact.

Will let you know how she runs, and stops through the mountains....... if not......  :flag:

George,

Make sure you have your road service up to date! I have broken down three times in a previous mustang. Faulty gauge/ran out of fuel, fuel pump, and a blown tail shaft uni.

Raven

Offline Mattstang

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Matt
« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2013, 09:57:18 pm »

`Want catch up with some of you sydney blokes though`.

Maybe on a Kellyville coffee meet, first Sunday of each month in the North Western parts of Sydney!

Cheers
Matt  :event:

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #221 on: May 16, 2013, 08:05:48 am »
Shaun,

As Matt says, if you around for the first sunday of month, Kellyville would be good to catch up.

Cheers
Keith

Offline 1966stang

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Greg
« Reply #222 on: May 16, 2013, 10:38:22 pm »
Got the girl back from the painter.

Found a BIT of bondo covering up some body damage

Now repaired and paint looking good. Very Happy.  :pepper:  :grin:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:41:00 pm by 1966stang »
Greg

'66 C code Coupe, Wimbledon White
Was 289 now 302

Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advice.

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #223 on: May 19, 2013, 04:09:08 pm »
After nearly being rear ended a couple of times by people not noticing the flashing red brake light indicator, I converted the backup lamps to combined amber indicator/white reverse light using the Dual Colour LED set up from Mustang Project. Really is great, looks absolutely stock standard but you have the advantage of the amber indicator but still have your white reverse light. Hopefully that will be the end of the sound of screeching tyres from behind when I'm making a turn.  :smile01:

This is it here: http://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=810a676c-a018-484d-9c41-46bbdde9968f

Offline George

• Worked
  • ._.
« Reply #224 on: May 19, 2013, 04:17:45 pm »
Dumb question....

Mustangs like all other muscle cars... the Red Rear tail lights flash when you turn blinker on and the 2 circle white globes on the rear panel below bumper is reverse light only?

This light you posted now makes the 'reverse' lights become indicator and still remains white in reverse and thus the red tailights flashing no longer happens?

I got a 69 fastback if that changes anything?... Should have read it first... 68 is last. Do they have something like that for 69?

After nearly being rear ended a couple of times by people not noticing the flashing red brake light indicator, I converted the backup lamps to combined amber indicator/white reverse light using the Dual Colour LED set up from Mustang Project. Really is great, looks absolutely stock standard but you have the advantage of the amber indicator but still have your white reverse light. Hopefully that will be the end of the sound of screeching tyres from behind when I'm making a turn.  :smile01:

This is it here: http://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=810a676c-a018-484d-9c41-46bbdde9968f
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:21:39 pm by George »