66 Mustang Convertible Roof - Lining issue?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 66 Mustang Convertible Roof - Lining issue?  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Wilbury

• Pony
66 Mustang Convertible Roof - Lining issue?
« on: March 01, 2013, 04:33:17 pm »
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this issue with my vinyl electric convertible roof(66 Mustang), that i'm having.

It is a handful of straight lines that have popped up in the rear quarters, inside the trimming. Can only feel and see it from the outside and not the inside. I think it has resulted from when i was having issues with the electrics, and the roof wouldn't fold up completely all the way, maybe 95%... so i manually had to pull it forward to lock back into place. So i may have stretched it too tight? And this has occurred? I did this 3-4 times over a couple months, before i had it looked at, and found the Rams were dead. Replaced and now working fine, but left with this issue. A trimmer reckons it wasn't padded properly or something, and that they'll have to take it all off... sounds expensive. But it was fine up until this issue so i don't agree with them. Here is a pic...

Has anybody seen this problem that can offer help? Cheers, much appreciated!

Vic Member 2353

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
Re: 66 Mustang Convertible Roof - Lining issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 12:48:29 am »
Looks like it's been down too long and perhaps the hoodstick above the window has pinched it.  More likely to be a down problem than happened when stretched up tight. Might need to be left up with the locks on for a week or so to try and pull the lines out.

Just hope the outer vynil hasn't delaminated from the cloth backing.

Mine's top of the range yet the quarters crease when it's left down all weekend. Now I only lower the top when going out for a cruise and always raise it up again each night. I don't bother to clamp it though if I'm going out the next day.

See how you go and good luck.

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:57:35 am »
Ditto 66RedRagtop, give it some time with it clamped up & warm weather. And park it with the roof up when you're not using it. If you're concerned about the tension when the roof is clamped up in place then try backing off the clamping hooks just a little.
I very much doubt if you could have damaged it just by pulling it forward manually, as that's what the rams do anyway & they're pretty powerful.
I think it's more likely that it's a fabric tensioning issue, with the 'lines' lining up with the fixing staples to the welting strips around the body shell, rather than a delamination issue.

Offline Wilbury

• Pony
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 03:34:09 pm »
Thanks so much for the reply guys! I usually drive once, sometimes twice a week. And i will have the roof down 80% of the time. When down, i will always put it back up that night... so never down over night, probably only down for max 8 hours. Then stays up(and clamped) for rest of week. In a garage.

Maybe when i leave it up, i will try NOT clamping it down? And see if that helps. And also add some time parked in the sun as you guys suggest. The lines don't feel like creases as such, which generally mould away in the hot weather... more like cords in the material.

"Just hope the outer vynil hasn't delaminated from the cloth backing."

"I think it's more likely that it's a fabric tensioning issue, with the 'lines' lining up with the fixing staples to the welting strips around the body shell, rather than a delamination issue."

These two points sound interesting, but not like an issue that the sun will fix... ill try UP, but un-clamped in hot weather, but maybe it sounds like ill have to go to the trimmer and see if its either of these 2 problems?

Cheers for the help guys!
Vic Member 2353

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 09:23:24 pm »
Just noticed you're a Vic club member. There's an ace Mustang soft top fitter out at Coldstream, Rod McLean on 9739 1417. He might be kind enough to give you an opinion if the ripples don't come out naturally. A hairdryer might be quicker than the sun.

Offline mattstruck

• Thoroughbred
  • MOCA Vic member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 09:32:05 pm »
I cant see the piccy :hi:
Capitalisation: Its the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off the horse
and
Helping your uncle jack off the horse.

MOCV member.

Offline Raven

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 10:42:34 pm »
From your picture it doesn't look to bad. The rear corners of the top are fiddly to get just right and require a few attempts of removing and re stapling the top to the tack strip located within the rear well gutter. When I installed my top the rear quarter was way to tight as can be seen in the pic below. It requires some patience to get it right. The top should also have quarter pads to support the top vinyl. You should not have to take the whole top off to resolve the issue. With the top slightly up, you should be able to do the adjustments with access to inside the car and outside.