AU Falcon Donor car

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: AU Falcon Donor car  (Read 16240 times)

Offline FBK65

• Pony
AU Falcon Donor car
« on: February 21, 2013, 02:41:47 pm »
Hi everyone, I have come across a cheap AU XR8 with a 5 speed and was thinking it would be good to upgrade the engine and gearbox in my 65 Fastback, has anyone done this before? What were the main issues they came across? Were there other parts that they could use as well? I would be looking to get a shop to do this for me so could anyone recommend shops that do good reliabile work with this sort of conversions. Look forward to getting some feedback.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Re: AU Falcon Donor car
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 02:46:21 pm »
It would help a fair bit if we knew roughly what part of this little island you reside in!
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:02:29 pm »
What model AU is it? Do you plan on running the AU electronics or were you going to swap the intake to use a carb instead?

If you are going to run the AU electronics, you will need to brake down a lot of the AU's body wiring as you will need to incorporate the security system to get it to operate.

AU1, you will only need the ECU and BEM as the security system is the old Smartlock system.

AU1.5 and AU2/3, you will need the ECU, BEM and chip key as all three incorporate into the Smartshield system.

If you do run the BEM, you will have the added feature of being able to adapt the AU body electronics to the Mustang. I did this to an XF years ago. It did take a lot of time and if you plan on paying someone to do it, it could end up being very costly.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:03:39 pm »
It is a nice upgrade. Do you want to run the EFI as well? It makes a difference in what is involved.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 03:08:07 pm »
Another thing to keep in mind, is the AU uses a 50mm longer extension housing on the T5 compared to the earlier E-series Falcons. This will put the shifter position behind the original shifter hole in your Mustang. I measured this up not long ago on my 66 Mustang to see if the AU T5 was usable. If you want measurements and photos, I will have them.

I purchased an EL 6cyl 5 speed car today and will be looking at it now instead.

If the AU XR8 is cheap, I'd grab it anyway. As those V8 T5's are not cheap and you will be able to get good money for the running gear.

Offline FBK65

• Pony
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:16:00 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply, I am in Victoria ( 2hrs north of Melb), I would like to run it with the carby, the main reason for me looking at this is because my 4 speed is buggered and I would like to put in a 5 speed so I thought the T5 would be the best option but the conversions costs between a 289 and the T-5 seem to be pretty big then I was told a doner Falcon could be a better option, it is a AU11 by the way. I happy for as much advise as I can get as I am a bit new to this sort of modification.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 03:23:02 pm »
If you run the carb, then ignore the electrical side of things.

AU and earlier Falcons use a cable clutch, this will be something else you will need to tackle.

Another thing, the starter in Falcons is on the opposite side to the Mustang. This will be an issue with your exhaust system and possibly the steering?

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 09:04:58 pm »
you will need a distributor as well if not using the computer as they are crank fire.....
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 10:29:48 pm »
FBK65 the AU V8 is a beauty. I just sold an EF XR8 5 speed I drove for a few years with the intension of using the motor an box as a donor to my 66. My 66 runs a 5L roller motor from a 94 falcon. These motors are great. I went with the old school carb and electronic distributor. An easy conversion. It looks and feels right in my option. Everything bolts straight up. You might want to change the water pump as it will spin the wrong way if you do away with the serpentine belt set up. If you run with the T5 you won't have to worry about the 28/50oz balance problem with pre & post 85 motors. AU motors have some goodies on them. Roller cam, roller rockers, GT40 heads. They spin like tops too. You can buy an aftermarket bell housing from the US that has the starter on the RH side if this is a problem. I don't think it will be as the starters are pretty slim. I would go for it. Have a go setting it up yourself. You will have a ball.
He, with the most toys wins.

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 05:11:09 pm »
Check to see if it has the GT40P heads. Spark plug angles are different. Std AU manifolds will not fit into a '66 engine bay

Offline FBK65

• Pony
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 09:24:17 pm »
Some really great feedback Thanks, maybe a rebuild of the 4 speed might be a much easier option.

Offline SMH00N

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Stephen
  • Car: 70 Sportsroof Grabber pac
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 03:26:03 pm »
Hi

I am also looking at this same conversion. Can you update on how it went and what not to do?

Offline noblg

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 06:26:41 pm »
The AU 302 will fit in nicely, the only issue is the dipstick touching the strut tower, this is an easy fix.
The heads however are a different kettle of squirel,s. The GT40P heads are good heads but are hard to get off the rack headers.
You can opt for the EFI which keeps the loom and the ECU, this will need a chip to remove smart lock ect...if you run the auto the ECU will run it as a stand alone system...( this is my option I'll be running)
Or pull the EFI off and put a carby on it....

Offline SMH00N

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 09:03:16 pm »
Thanks.
Heads may well be tossed for alloy as well as carbs or maybe throttle bodies so I won't need any electric gadgetry that I can see from the donor

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 03:31:46 pm »

The heads however are a different kettle of squirel,s. The GT40P heads are good heads but are hard to get off the rack headers.

I put a 5.0 with GT40P heads (and a T5) in my '66 a few months ago. I got some JBA shorty headers that fitted straight up without any interference issues. I can get the part number if you are interested.

Offline noblg

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 07:13:23 pm »
 :pepper:
Woo hooo.
Pm sent...

Offline SMH00N

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 10:03:18 am »
I might need them numbers too...

Offline Marshall

• Stallion
  • Name: Marshall
  • Car: 66 Custom convertible
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 10:28:07 pm »
I used the Au3 XR8 donor car and installed all the electrics as well as eng/ g'box, steering column and dash in a 66 convertible.
Big job however when done all the electrics just plugs in..instruments, lights, electric windows, seats, mirrors etc. also gives you variable speed wipers, handbrake warning light etc.

The loom needs considerable thinning.  I just labelled everything as it came out of the Falcon and later snipped out all the stuff not needed.

Marshall

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 07:35:42 am »
Well done as that is a massive job.