Father / Daughter Project - True Barn Find

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Father / Daughter Project - True Barn Find  (Read 5533 times)

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
Father / Daughter Project - True Barn Find
« on: February 03, 2013, 10:29:32 pm »
My teenage daughter has shown a lot of interest in cars since I got my Mustang, I was originally looking for a 6cyl mustang for her as a project, but decided to look closer to home with a lower budget in mind, in the off chance she lost interest.

Whilst not a mustang, I came across this 1966 XR Falcon, factory fitted disc brakes, genuine one owner, husband died, wife didnt want the car, guy who bought it off her had it sheded for past 18 years.

She needs a few small dents repaired and after 20 + years on dirt roads, the stone chips are all showing signs of surface rust, but overall its actually a very solid and original car.

Could'nt believe the 18 years of dust, it didnt deter my daughter from looking beyond the dust and wanting to use this car as her first entry into old cars, chucked a battery and fresh fuel in it and it fired right up, so the father daughter project now kicks off, whilst it does need a tidy up overall it will be fun to spend time with her and help her have a go.

If she does lose interest we've already agreed I will take it off her hands and throw a nice little 302 I have straight in it, but gee Im looking forward to restoring this with / for her.

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
Re: Father / Daughter Project - True Barn Find
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 10:44:20 pm »
Nice find!!! :coolpic:

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 11:32:00 pm »
Thats great. Should be a lot of fun. My son is learning to drive and is looking for a similar old school car. Not interested in rice burners. Its great to have kids (young adults) that have there own good taste in cars. Seems like yesterday he was sitting up in the engine bay of the Mustang wanting to know the names of all the bits. Happy building. You must be proud.
He, with the most toys wins.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 11:41:54 pm »
That's brilliant, my 16 yo wants an old Kombi van for her first car and is saving up for it. I can't wait to find her one some day.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 11:42:40 pm »
Good project..

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 05:08:16 pm »
Nice find and good on her!!

I was turning spanners with my 5 year old daughter yesterday. She wanted to know how to use the 3/8 socket, she tried very hard and is always asking questions. She's a very little girl but it doesn't stop her from jumping in and giving it a good go.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline MILD67

• Worked
  • Name: Rob
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 12:36:34 am »
my 8yo boy is not a car boy at all, my 6yo daughter just loves being seen in the mustang, but my 2yo loves to get dirty under cars with me, so 1 out of 3 aint bad
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline Mudzy

• Thoroughbred
  • 65-PONE
  • Name: David
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 05:31:14 pm »
let us know when you get it would be good to come and have a look at it. plus it give me another reason to get car out B4 it comes off the road

David
2 Doors 3 Pedals 4 Speeds =  Muscle car = 1965 A Code  Mustang Coupe

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:04:43 pm »

Hi Mudzy, yes will do mate,

I am hoping to have it home in few weeks, depending on work and time to get back to pick it up.

She was last registered in 1986, and sat for about 18 years since, with regular running of the motor, its done 128000 miles, supposed to be genuine, even found the original falcon 500 accessories brouchure from 1966, in the glovebox.

Has the original 200cui motor, not the 170cui, cruismatic and power assisted disks. The body is is pretty good, but it needs some body work and paint, mechanicals are all old, and will replace or rebuild these, but over all we are looking for a stock rebuild, with maybe some GS/GT hub caps, or maybe some 12 slotters or just some stock hubcaps.

I am hoping to do as much as possible myself, paint & body, and mechanicals.

The best thing, is seeing the enjoyment from my daughter and her desire to get stuck into it and work on it, she has even mentioned getting it across to an all ford day when its done, so Im pretty chuffed to be able to share the enjoyment in the old Fords with her, and just spend time with her on a project like this, especially given she is a girly girl.... :grin:, spanner in one hand and nail file in the other.... :grin:

Cheers
Keith

Offline Mattstang

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Matt
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 07:19:01 pm »
Gday Keith,
Ran into an old mate today that recently flew down to the far south coast to buy and drive home (6 hour journey) a 76` GXL 302 four barrell auto ,original everything including plates ,one owner, 70 odd thousand K`s four door sedan (fairmont? I think).
$120 worth of fuel and a sweet ride home to Sydney with no issues.
Mentioned the Kellyville coffee meet next month,hope he brings it along as I would love to have a look,
P.S. they are out there!
Cheers
Matt

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 07:49:18 pm »
Matt,

They are definately out there.

I also have my eye on another find (havent yet convinced the wife),

A totally original one owner XA Falcon ute, interior is immaculate, body has not a single spot of rust anywhere, always garaged but has been stored for a very very long time, has a small dent in the rear quarter, paint is showroom, and its only done 86,000 kms original, this thing is the closest to mint / brand new you will find.

I nearly tripped over myself when I saw it in a back shed, and after the XR, wife isnt too impressed about the thought of another car coming home.

Its amazing what you find when you drive back roads, one eye on the road, the other scanning the country properties.

Cheers
Keith

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 07:53:21 pm »
One of my Dad's friends just picked up something similar. But I think it was an XB. 302, manual and black coloured ute. Original apparently, still registered, fantastic condition with 70k or 80k on the clock as well. I'll see it when he brings it home in a week or so. 10g's. I told my Dad he should buy it instead but I don't think his friend will part with it.

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 08:02:11 pm »
Ash,

The XA I found, is of course white, 6cyl 3 spd, like I said mint original cond, wants $6k for it, I thought it was steep at first, then when I figured the cost to bring one back to that condition, Im starting to think its a very fair price.

Keith

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 08:05:12 pm »
Have a look around, Keith, and see what a rust bucket project ute costs you. If it is complete, then you're a huge step ahead. They are not like Mustangs where you pick up a pile of catalogues or have a choice of a dozen online stores to purchase parts from. They are not even close to that.

You can always drop an 8 in it later  :thumb:

Offline Mattstang

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Matt
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 09:02:51 pm »
I think old mate mentioned somewhere along the lines of 7K for the GXL,I said he stole it!
P.S. Keith - you must have a very big shed and a nearly convinced wife!
Cheers,
Matt

Offline Mudzy

• Thoroughbred
  • 65-PONE
  • Name: David
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 02:52:40 pm »
Any updates on this yet ??????
2 Doors 3 Pedals 4 Speeds =  Muscle car = 1965 A Code  Mustang Coupe

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 05:43:55 pm »
Hi Mudzy,

Not yet Mudzy, been traveling for work and still more travel O/S over next few weeks, so plan is to bring her home in 3 weeks, when I get back.

In the meantime Ive been tracking down a few parts Ive needed such a new guard, a door glass, and a few other things, I didnt realise how hard it is to find good quality parts for this model, apparently looks the same as XT, but has different things, such as internal door handles are different on XR and XT, Guards are different to fit the grill etc.

Managed to track down the stuff I needed, which was good.

Cheers
Keith

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 05:25:49 pm »
I was chatting with an old timer the other day, he was telling me the XR Falcon was actually made in the USA with all the parts shipped out here to Oz, all ready assembled, such as doors as an example, he seemed to think all the running gear is straight of the 66 Mustang.

Is anyone old enough to comment on this, sure would be interested to know how these cars came to be assembled, and what parts are interchangable with the Mustang.

Cheers
Keith

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 06:14:50 pm »
Always preferred the XR over the XT. From memory the XR was advertised as the "Mustang Bred" Falcon, but have no idea about parts being shipped from the USA to build it. In fact i doubt it because the Aussie Falcons were always easier to work on than Mustangs. :bolt:

I reckon Ford Australia must have sent some engineers over to the USA in about 1970 to show the yanks how to build a car. :grin:
That is why the 71 Mustangs were easier to work on.

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 06:59:16 pm »
There maybe some truth in that as the 66 US Falcon looks alot like out XR/ XT. They did them in a 2 door too. Shame they didn't release that model here. XY GTHO III 2 door would have been good. I have an XP 2 door and the roofs were press in the US and shipped out and fitted at Eagle Farm Brisbane. Not enough demand to tool up in Oz.

He, with the most toys wins.