FUEL PRICES

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: FUEL PRICES  (Read 26387 times)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: FUEL PRICES
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 08:26:02 pm »
Huntington beach CA ,their are heaps but in the 30s their was hundreds there, i mean 100s .A few around long beach also in back yards .

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 10:31:46 pm »
Interesting Moz,

However, I don’t understand how Natural Gas from your home would work as it's metered between 1.3 - 3kpa at best for any residential properties. Would like to know about how they are doing it, maybe there's been further developments since l left the energy industry?

My understanding is for vehicles it has to be LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) which requires a pumping station and special high pressure cylinders which look more like oxy cyl. They take a long time to fill and need higher pressure - hence the need for a pumping facility ...which would be expensive.

Bottom line as other have highlighted --- it's a combination of the fuel companies/Governments/ACCC and most of all the supermarket chain's that are screwing us all ...they all think the average punters are morons and here in Australia we just keep taking it up the backside as we don’t like protesting anymore...over the years those that protest are just considered social prat’s !!

But,  l'm starting to feel something’s are worth borking at ---- and current fuel cost is one of those items !!

Glenn,

Fuel cost in Florida & Gorgia last October/November was around $3.80 Gallon from memory ?
Cheers

HappyOne

:tissue:

Natural Gas Vehicle info

http://www.iangv.org/

Moz

Offline Troy_H

• Worked
    • Melbourne
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 09:51:21 am »
Excise on fuel is a fixed rate per litre, The only part of the price the government sees an incremental increase in is the GST collected on the sale, which is added on at the end.  Movements in price don’t really add that much.
Excise = 38.143c per litre on ULP
GST @ retail on $1.45 = 13.1c

So the government gets a nice slice but it hasn’t really changed in 10 years.

Our oil is largely imported, the major oil companies control the prices at a wholesale level so they need a shareholder return, they then sell to a retailer who needs to make a dollar, against the supermarkets who use the fuel industry as a loss leader.  It can be argued that the retail price is overinflated due to a number of factors.

The grocery chains can buy as many sites as they like, run them at a loss until the local competition gives up, they  then jack up the price.  Bunnings use the same model for hardware to drive down competition.  Does anyone think that they are really getting strong competition in hardware?

The only real competition the supermarkets had was from the oil companies, the oil business makes all their money on upstream refining so isn’t concerned about retail.  All oil companies that has retailing have now pulled out (with a few very minor exceptions that don’t affect the price), the supermarkets control the game in grocery and fuel prices  and this is the result.  All that $1 milk  and 8c a litre discounting has to be paid for somewhere, and the artificial inflation of the fuel  and grocery market is where it happens.  A 70c discount on a litre of milk is made up for a 20c increase on 100 everyday items they sell. 

The general public are suckers for these false discounts (yes, I’m talking to those people who form queue at Safeway and Shell fuel to get 4c a litre off) and the ACCC doesn’t do a thing to control this, but I guess the horse has already bolted on food and fuel.  We need a genuine 3rd grocery retailer to provide real completion, but the Aussie market is just not big enough at the moment. 

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 10:51:03 am »

Natural Gas Vehicle info

http://www.iangv.org/

Moz

Moz,

Thanks very interesting read …… one of my points is explained better in the BELOW section.

i.e … compressed natural gas is compressed into a high-pressure cylinder, usually to around 250 bar
……1 bar = 100KPA ... Which therefore 250bar would  = 25000KPA

In order to achieve this by having a filling facility in a domestic environment - which is currently supplied between 1.3 – 3kpa. The gas act here in Australia, would need to change and the owner of the vehicle would also need to install a pumping station at home (very expensive to do so).

OR... be reliant on Natural gas service stations with compressed pumping facilities – only a one or two here in Brisbane - one which was being tested for the taxi market (which didn’t really have a good outcome) and the others being used at the City Council bus depot’s… which have managed to transition into this practice as it does become more viable for large fleets to cover the capital set up costs needed.

No doubt though, as time goes by this technology will become more viable with further improvements here in OZ,  but I still think it’s a long way off yet….mind you, it will come quicker if the demand is there,  like anything I guess !!

Vehicle Fuel Storage

(Extracted from that site link you sent)

Fuel is most commonly stored on board vehicles in high pressure cylinders as compressed natural gas (CNG). As the name suggests, compressed natural gas is compressed into a high-pressure cylinder, usually to around 250 bar (or lower in some areas).

Emerging methods of storage include Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG), which is already in commercial operation and Adsorbed Natural Gas (ANG), which is still in the developmental stage.

Opel Zafira Tourer displaying the CNG storage system
CNG Cylinders
Compressed natural gas (CNG) cylinders are available in a number of different types, weights and sizes to suit different applications. As a general rule, as cylinder weight decreases, cylinder costs increase. In some cases, cylinders are available for lease from vehicle converters or gas suppliers. Details of cylinder suppliers can be found in our Business Directory (see left).
Additional information can also be found in our Guidelines for the Handling of CNG Cylinders document.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:52:37 am by HAPPY ONE »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 11:15:40 am »
We think we're getting bent over on fuel at $1.47 but it's $2.20 in NZ.     :tissue:

It was down to around $2.10 / litre when I was there last week.

Also,  $2.20 NZD = $1.78 AUD

s

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 04:36:22 pm »
maybe come september when we get rid of Gillard, things may improve
I agree, though the choice is limited...the Ranga or the Budgie smuggler. More a choice of which one is less inept than the other.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 04:38:34 pm »
I agree, just how exactly do you chose between two incapable morons. As bad as Gillard is, I don't think I can vote for someone who lets religion influence their profession.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 01:35:00 pm »
I agree, just how exactly do you chose between two incapable morons. As bad as Gillard is, I don't think I can vote for someone who lets religion influence their profession.

Hey Ash,

The choice could be much easier ---- you could have someone like myself to choose from!!  :thud:

I would be totally up front about the fact that my noose would be fully in- trenched in the pollies  pig trough,  raping as much as l can from those that freely give it up.  :bow:

HOWEVER,

:tissue: :flag:

To off set this …l would also be willing to help out all my fellow mustang buddies,  by carrying out the following pledges:

1.   Make it easier to import customized and classic cars (preferably Fords) to those that are considered worthy by all mustang forum members.  :smilies:

2.   Modify the current rules around the luxury car tax and all other taxes relating to importing of motor vehicles and parts in this country and reduce it to 3% only.  :cheers:

3.   Best of all - Providing reduced cost fuel cards to all mustang owners limited to being charged a max of  $1 per litre and doubling the cost of fuel cost to all chevy owners …plus triple it on those wankers that drive around in a commodore with a chevy badge displayed on it _ Just coz that’s just the way it should be !!

:therethere: :lol:

4.   Happy to take on any other suggestions from fellow members anytime as my door is always open …..well maybe not but who cares !!

But Most of all, I’m not a ranger…. nor am l a bible bashing budgie smuggler dork.

Just a skiny bloke in a fat man's skin - who believes each to their own …unless your link to either of the above mentioned oxygen thief’s that is !!

p.s ...I think I currently have too much time on my hands to think this shit up.

Cheers

HappyOne.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 04:57:42 pm »
Hey Happy, I think you are being a little lenient on those Cheby badge wearing bogans  :grin:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 06:30:21 pm »
Happy one has my vote  :smilies:

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 06:39:21 pm »
Problem, i drive a commodore and own a chevy also .So i could fill my mustangs up cheap then drain the fuel into my other cars ,good idea ,thanks happy one .   :pepper:

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 06:52:22 pm »
I reckon we need a third party and we should start it right here and now. To be known as the Hopalong Happy Mustang Party. Vote 1 Happy One. The slogan will be "A Happy One is a Happy Everyone!". It can also be our mandate.  :grin:
Cheers, Ron B

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 07:11:52 pm »
 :grin:Thats Gold

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 08:12:44 pm »
Problem, i drive a commodore and own a chevy also .So i could fill my mustangs up cheap then drain the fuel into my other cars ,good idea ,thanks happy one .   :pepper:

Glenn, your a member here so thats what counts most......nothing wrong with a few poilcy loop holes from where I sit.

just dont start bashing our ears about those other mistakes you made before you got it right.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 08:44:50 pm »
Yep i think i am ok ,owned around 10 chevys and 18 mustangs ,3 now, 1 chev that i am selling .

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 10:20:13 am »
When i started this post a couple of weeks ago i said fuel was going up 3 cents a LT from 147 cents per LT to 150.9  .Well it went up yesterday from the last high of 147.9 to 154.9 ,so what happened to 3 cents thats 7 cents .    :sick:

Offline Mattstang

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Matt
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 04:27:48 pm »
Why is it that the `rare` time and for that matter every other time that you do take the missus car out,the `low fuel warning `is ALWAYS on AND the price fuel is ALWAYS high???  Happened again last night,how convenient!!  :ouch:
Matt

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 11:01:28 pm »
How about some Adli Fuel. It won"t be long and they will be in to fuel. They are into grog. Was in Balina NSW the other day and bought a case of Coopers Pale Ale for $36. Fuel might be next...

He, with the most toys wins.

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 11:40:19 pm »
How about some Adli Fuel. It won"t be long and they will be in to fuel. They are into grog. Was in Balina NSW the other day and bought a case of Coopers Pale Ale for $36. Fuel might be next...

Just bought 2 cases of Coopers Pale Ale at Dan Murphys for $45 a case.  :ouch:

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 01:22:29 pm »
They are into grog. Was in Balina NSW the other day and bought a case of Coopers Pale Ale for $36.

It's like that in Europe and NZ, grog for sale in the far aisle/section of the supermarket, very convenient.

s

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 01:45:58 pm »
Maybe i should have said PETROL prices ,and not the stuff you fuel up on

Offline Mattstang

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Matt
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 04:19:45 pm »
Back on the human FUEL,case of Coronas last week @ Dan Murphy`s - $41.90,
should have bought a pallet  :beer:
Cheers,
Matt

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2015, 09:51:00 pm »
What's the fuel prices doing ,I noticed tonight unleaded was $1.46.9 ,on the Gold Coast but others were $1.27.9   :thud: . Gee what's 19 cents a litre difference .

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2015, 10:21:36 pm »
Vic 1.35 I paid this morning
My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2015, 12:43:25 am »
Unleaded at Noosa on Saturday for the hire car was 117.9. Woolies servo tucked away in a shopping centre. Yesterday it was something like 133 at Shell Mooloolaba, so all over the place.

Plenty of Mustangs out and about up there over the weekend.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:01:15 am by 66RedRagtop »