advice pleaase

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: advice pleaase  (Read 12375 times)

Offline anfo99

• Worked
  • MOCA Nova Member
  • Name: Anthony
advice pleaase
« on: January 06, 2013, 04:32:18 pm »
Hi everyone just about to get a 66 hardtop from the states, and the mrs doesn't like the original seats (half back height is a safety concern). I am thinking along the lines of ba falcon seats for the front and stock for the rear. Only issue I can see is getting the collapse bits for a ba falcon seats so they fold forward to allow passenger access to the rear. Has anyone else done this? Or should I try getting seats from another coupe e.g. a celica or something else. on a bit of a budget too I don't envisage spending more than $700 on seats and having them recovered.

:evilone:

any advice welcome
Anthony
 :flag:

Anfo - Starting to enjoy driving her!
"Do what you want to do, be what you wanna be..."
Masters Apprentices
6R07C

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Re: advice pleaase
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:38:11 pm »
Hey Anthony,

My advise would be wait until the car is here and the wife has tried them out. My wife comes up with all kinds of crazy concerns,  :ouch: I tell her she thinks to much  :bolt: and usually once shown in real life the concerns go away.

If she's worried about the seats, don't tell her about the seatbelts, shitty brakes, poor traction tyres and ancient everything else  :lol:

Keep your money in your pocket I say, wait until you get a few miles up. As a 66 hardtop owner, if I were to change anything for safety reasons, it'd be the brakes. But I still run my manual drums around happily. That's  my choice and I'm sure there will be others who think differently.

And welcome!
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 04:47:20 pm »
Hey Anthony,

My advise would be wait until the car is here and the wife has tried them out. My wife comes up with all kinds of crazy concerns,  :ouch: I tell her she thinks to much  :bolt: and usually once shown in real life the concerns go away.

If she's worried about the seats, don't tell her about the seatbelts, shitty brakes, poor traction tyres and ancient everything else  :lol:

Keep your money in your pocket I say, wait until you get a few miles up. As a 66 hardtop owner, if I were to change anything for safety reasons, it'd be the brakes. But I still run my manual drums around happily. That's  my choice and I'm sure there will be others who think differently.

And welcome!

:agree:
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 05:17:37 pm »
If the seats are in decent condition, you can fit headrests to them. From a safety aspect decent seat belts would be where you should be spending your money.

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 06:06:16 pm »
Get your late model seats out of a ute,
They all flip forward.
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 06:08:36 pm »
 :agree:
Get some ute seats, but seatbelt upgrade is a more realistic safety fix. :thumb:
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline 69_stang

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 06:10:33 pm »
' the mrs doesn't like the original seats' (half back height is a safety concern). I am thinking along the lines of ba falcon seats for the front and stock for the rear. Only issue I can see is getting the collapse bits for a ba falcon seats so they fold forward to allow passenger access to the rear.

Believe BA Falcon ute seats fold forward for the fronts without to much mucking around!!! Unsure of rear ones though.

Someone has fitted these from this forum so info is avail.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 06:11:46 pm »
AU ute seats do too.

Offline 69_stang

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 06:13:11 pm »
ALSO gotta hate it when you are typing and the same response has been posted!!  :thud:

All good

CHEERS

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 07:25:49 pm »
Anf, thats the last bit of worry I'd have with one of them.  Too many other things to worry about and maintain.  I'd be saying "if she doesn't like it, don't ride in it."   :bolt:

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 07:43:59 pm »
 :agree: Plenty of other things to worry about other than the seats - brakes, seat belts etc. If you really need to do something and your on a budget I'd be looking at fitting head rests. 

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 07:46:37 pm »
 :lmao:  :thumb: good call macka
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline anfo99

• Worked
  • MOCA Nova Member
  • Name: Anthony
Re: advice please
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 08:53:17 am »
WOW!

Thanks guys! what a lot of good advice, I forgot to mention that the seats are trashed  :ouch:  It had occurred to me that I'd probably need lap/sash seat belts  :thud: only where do they get anchored?

what an awesome bunch of people I'm blown away by the response.

Anthony
Anfo - Starting to enjoy driving her!
"Do what you want to do, be what you wanna be..."
Masters Apprentices
6R07C

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 09:28:17 am »
anthony wouldnt worry to much about seat belts and such till your car gets here , just get it in the shed and then work through what needs work and what doesnt I think you will find seat belts will soon get pushed down the list anyway congrats on the car and welcome .
cheers
67fasty
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
  • MOCA (Vic) member - 2709
  • Name: Dave
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 10:07:13 am »
Hi Anthony

The latest edition of Mustang Monthly (vol 35, no 12) has an article about swapping seats on early Mustangs. While it is American (so no Falcon ute seats mentioned), there may be some pointers that will help you out.

Cheers

Dave
Dave

1969 Black Jade Mach 1 with a 351C, 3v closed chamber heads, Comp Cams and lifters, FMX trans with 2500 stall converter, LSD, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM, Sanderson ceramic shorty extractors and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

2016 Deep Impact Blue GT manual with Roush exhaust.

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Deep Purple, “Highway Star” (1971)

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 10:13:00 am »
Another option: I installed '70 Mustang seats which are high backs, in my '67. That way they still look original to the era, but with some added safety. Your wife is quite right to question the matter.
An upholstery kit supplier in the USA was quite happy to supply me a set that was a mix of '70 fronts & '67 rear, in the parchment colour I wanted.
But if you'd prefer more modern seats, then perhaps look at using the Mustang 'Fox-body' type, ie. '80's era; see the article in a recent Mustang Monthly mag as noted in a previous post about installing them.
Maybe your car supplier in the USA could chuck in a pair of '70 or later high-backs for you, shouldn't cost much if they're rough.
Note: If you do use more modern seats, like from an AU ute or something, then you need to watch the headroom, & also clearance for your knees under the steering wheel; so try for fit before you buy.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:20:14 am by 67FBGT »

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
  • MOCA (Vic) member - 2709
  • Name: Dave
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 10:24:24 am »
Anthony

67FBGT's warning about knee room is worth noting. It's a squeeze getting my legs under my 69 fixed steering column. If you were to put seats that sit even a cm or two higher, you'd need match stick legs to be able to get into the drivers seat.

Cheers

Dave
Dave

1969 Black Jade Mach 1 with a 351C, 3v closed chamber heads, Comp Cams and lifters, FMX trans with 2500 stall converter, LSD, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM, Sanderson ceramic shorty extractors and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

2016 Deep Impact Blue GT manual with Roush exhaust.

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Deep Purple, “Highway Star” (1971)

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 11:01:01 am »
I have legs that a similar to match sticks  :therethere: And also find my fixed column 69 a shuffle to get into. My 66 though I find much easier. Great point though, I wouldn't want any less room.

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 02:23:28 pm »
I bought a set of SAAS recaro style seats from Supercheap for about $160 each the Xmas before last. 

They bolted straight in without any modification whatsoever I called it a Christmas miracle!) and fold forward like the original seats.  If you don't mind going for a bit of a restomod look then they are the easiest and cheapest way to go.

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 04:58:51 pm »
have you looked at Toyota Hilux seats as an option. They were in my old Mustang but this car will have the original Bench seat. Also see cjpony parts for a range of seats, some of which look very nice http://www.cjponyparts.com/1964-1973-mustang-seats/c/10110240/
1967 Mustang Convertible with fries and the works, hold the rust, no timber thank you, go easy on the Bondo and I'll have that in Right Hand Drive please.

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 05:05:26 pm »
I have legs that a similar to match sticks  :therethere: And also find my fixed column 69 a shuffle to get into. My 66 though I find much easier. Great point though, I wouldn't want any less room.

Ash I was taught a trick for getting in and out. I place my rear end on the seat and push my (for right hand drive) left foot to the floor in the corner beside my brake pedel, after that the rest just falls into place. I am only 5 ' 8 " but the person who taght me is well over 6 ' and he slides right into his Mustang.
1967 Mustang Convertible with fries and the works, hold the rust, no timber thank you, go easy on the Bondo and I'll have that in Right Hand Drive please.

Offline ANGZ66

• Worked
  • VIC Member
    • http://mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=8047
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 05:24:21 pm »
This was displayed at Cobram 2010. BA seats without the head rests.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:16:36 am by ANGZ66 »

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 07:07:39 pm »
Ash I was taught a trick for getting in and out. I place my rear end on the seat and push my (for right hand drive) left foot to the floor in the corner beside my brake pedel, after that the rest just falls into place. I am only 5 ' 8 " but the person who taght me is well over 6 ' and he slides right into his Mustang.

I find I have to stick my right leg in first under the wheel then fall onto the seat. If I go bum first, my thigh gets caught up on the steering wheel as I try to get my leg in. I'm 6 foot tall and probably like my seat a little more forward then usual so I have to bend my knee more to get my leg in if I go bum first. I do this a dozen times a day at least, it's second nature after a while.
I still think my 66 coupe has more room to move then my 69 fastback. Not to mention the vision all around is better too. I've jumped in and out of a 69 fastback with tilt-away steering before, that fixes up the issue all together.

Offline boss351

• Worked
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 01:01:45 pm »
I had Statesman foams glued to my 68 frames then recoverred in a patern to rear seat! :thumb:
Life is short drive a Mustang