1969 Mustang Fastback Wanted

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1969 Mustang Fastback Wanted  (Read 9014 times)

Offline George

• Worked
  • ._.
1969 Mustang Fastback Wanted
« on: December 23, 2012, 09:17:25 pm »
Hello,

I am after a 1969 Mustang Fastback (Sports Roof). I do not mind if it is a mach 1 or boss, depending on price.

Budget:
$23,000US-$28,000US ($30,000US pushing it)

Engine:
Big Block (Preferable)
Small Block (mildly worked for some extra HP)

Gearbox:
Automatic (Floor shift)

Differential:
Do not remember the name used for fords, but its a Sure Grip/Limited Slip. Basically 2 rear wheels turn not just one. 9"

Colour:
Black (Preferable)
Blue
White

Condition:
Restored, no rust, mechanically and electrically reliable, rebuilt motor, gearbox etc. I am not a panel beater or a mechanic so I can not afford to get the car here and then have to muck around with $$$ to sort out issues.

If someone knows of, or, can help me find the right car, would be appreciated. I am ready to buy now.

Thank you
George
Revelation 14:6-12

Offline boss 427

• Worked
Re: 1969 Mustang Fastback Wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 09:28:56 pm »
I will take a dozen at that price.

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 09:46:39 pm »
Think you may find it a little hard to find a tidy big block car for that price. Trust me, I have been looking for a while. A tidy Mach 1 small block in the USA will set you back around 20-30 USD, Then you have to get it here. 15 will get you one that needs some work. That is what I am chasing now, and all I want is a complete rust free if possible body. Good luck. I'll let you know if I find more than one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 10:12:49 pm »
I have just returned from to usa  for 1 mth trying to buy a nice rust free all original panel 69 mach 1 ,351  in very good condition with up to 35k to spend did not happen ,and i am not new to this been there 12 times buying cars .Rust and rust repairs in floors ,after market panels and crapy fitting rear quarters are everywhere . Sure you can get lucky but trust me check it out yourself or someone like shermatt ,a big block 4 that money wont happen .

Offline Rapid428

• Worked
  • Off the road!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 10:18:43 pm »
I would agree with 69candy and GLENN 70

You will be EXTREMLY lucky (in fact I would be safe in saying impossible) to find a good fastback of any year let alone a 69 Boss or Big block with the option list you have stated.

Keep in mind you will need around another AUD $7/10k to get the car here and then you need to get it on the road.

I highly recommend if you intend purchasing from overseas then have someone reliable to inspect the car BEFORE you part with your cash. 

Do your research there is an enormous amount of information on this site with plenty of people to help (generally constructive).

Have a look on http://www.carsales.com.au/ this will give you an indication of pricing here.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 11:42:17 pm »
For that money you will only find a project Boss in the US that will need complete restoration

Offline George

• Worked
  • ._.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 09:13:09 am »
Thanks guys,

If you re-read my list carefully, Big Block mach 1 or soemthing is 'preferable' but I am happy with a Sports Roof 351 car also. I do not see that as a problem in the US to be gotten around the 25-28k mark. Small Block, not even a Mach 1. Just needs to be a solid car.

The Big Block was a 'I would rather this' but if that is non existent in the budget I posted, then a small block will do.

Offline violet64

• Pony
    • www.musclecarstudio.com
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 10:14:30 am »
My 69 is for sale

This car recently underwent a meticulous frame off rotisserie restoration and has been restored to a
factory concourse condition with potential to reach "gold" at a national level.
It has only attended 4 shows in Australia and has won silver at MOCA nationals 2012 and Gold in 2012-Silver in 2010 at NSW state level concourse,Best ford and Top 5 muscle car at other shows.
This Mustang GT is not only stunning , but also very rare as only 5396 GT's were produced in 1969 with this being 1 of 1 with its factory option list.
This 1969 GT 351 4V is finished in correct Winter Blue with correct Clarion Knit Vinyl bucket seats,3:25
Rear axle ratio,rare 3 speed manual transmission,GT equipment group,GT rocker panel stripes,heavy
duty suspension,hood scoop with the black out bonnet option,chrome quad exhaust outlets,power
steering,red oxide undercarriage and correct factory stampings and markings.Minor detailing would be
required to reach "thoroughbred"-Gold condition.
It has 37862 miles , All inspections are welcome by appointment only.Sydney Car currently on Club
Plates(MOCA)
Car was recently awarded Gold at the NSW state concourse and earlier this year in original class at the Mustang Owners Club Of Australia Easter National concours Sunday 8th April Newcastle foreshore(Wharf road) it achieved Silver.Call Glenn

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/ford-mustang-1969-13886059?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=0&eapi=2&__N=1246%201252%201247%201282%201216&find=1969%20gt%20sportsroof|CarAll&silo=Stock&num=15&sort=default

Offline Fast69back

• Stallion
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 10:25:17 am »
Hi G-man, Welcome, Tons of great info and some very knowledgeable people on this forum. Good luck finding a Mustang you like.
I have a 69 Sportsroof myself. You are right to be looking for a good, solid rust free vehicle as rust repairs can be very expensive.
It is also the reason good, solid rust free examples that are ready to jump in and drive are not cheap.
Is your budget of $23000US-$28000US inclusive of inspection, shipping, GST, AUS registration costs etc or just the purchase price of a vehicle in the US ?

Vic.

Offline junior

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 11:08:26 am »
They are out there - when I was in Pomona at the start of the year I saw a 69 sportroof looked about a 4 or 5 year old resto, 351w with mild work, 5spd tremec, coilover suspension, mid blue and neat interior for $28k

Just have to look hard!!!  Best of luck.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 11:11:00 am »
Violet64.

Beautiful 69 - I think I have seen this one in person.

But the budget was $28k - not $82k !!    :bolt:    Hmmm.... 

G-Man, I think I would buy locally. You should get a clean, honest  smallblock sportsroof for around the high $20ks or $30k .

Good luck !

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline George

• Worked
  • ._.
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 01:06:45 pm »
Thank you,

I was meaning up to 28k in the US, thus sets me back 33-35,000 by the time I bring the car here in AU dollars.

Really speaking 30-35,000 AU (local or imported with all costs done) is what I am after spending for a 69. I know I have my Big Block/power desires but I also been ripped off too many times when I had my dodges with bogus shops and mechanics. I can not afford to buy something thats "good" and when I get it, the person that sold it got rid of there headache and passed it on to me by giving half information or hoping certain things do not get seen, thus, selling a car and lieing through there teeth at the same time. I need something turn key, no issues. Im not a mechanic, or a panel beater and my daily wage is 20 per hour. I can not afford to 'muck around' as it takes a year just to save up 25k. Thats the short of a whole long story why i got rid of my dodges and want nothing to do with Mopar anymore.

So a Small Block, solid, decent/good paint, no rust, pitted chrome etc, rebuilt motor gearbox and perhaps bushes/balljoints and hopefully good/new electricals. That way car is mild restored, more or less as long as mechanicals and electricals are good, body is rust free (in all corners of the car, door jams, behind rear screens wheel arches, chasis itself etc), no filler added where rust 'was' but is a solid car, with all metal, parts intact, the paint doesnt have to be perfect, as long as the bones of the vehicle are good and mechanicaly reliable, small block auto, good enough.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:10:09 pm by G-man »

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 01:14:44 pm »
If you spend mid to high 20's US on a car, it'll be owing you high 30's on the way to 40k by the time you have rego on it. And that is if all you need to do once it arrives is put a set of $40 ADR headlights in.

You can pretty much guarantee, what ever your budget may be, it'll blow out. Unfortunately, from my experience, that's how it works with old cars.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 01:45:33 pm »
George,  if you are paying in $US are you prepared to travel there to check out the car you want?  If not, you'd better get someone there to check it out.  IF you want a big cube car you may have to up your expectations of values.

If you know what you want, how does the price compare here if you add in stamp duties/import costs etc to one that is owned here and maintained by a club member?

Offline MachAttack

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 02:01:57 pm »
Thank you,

I was meaning up to 28k in the US, thus sets me back 33-35,000 by the time I bring the car here in AU dollars.

Really speaking 30-35,000 AU (local or imported with all costs done) is what I am after spending for a 69. I know I have my Big Block/power desires but I also been ripped off too many times when I had my dodges with bogus shops and mechanics. I can not afford to buy something thats "good" and when I get it, the person that sold it got rid of there headache and passed it on to me by giving half information or hoping certain things do not get seen, thus, selling a car and lieing through there teeth at the same time. I need something turn key, no issues. Im not a mechanic, or a panel beater and my daily wage is 20 per hour. I can not afford to 'muck around' as it takes a year just to save up 25k. Thats the short of a whole long story why i got rid of my dodges and want nothing to do with Mopar anymore.

So a Small Block, solid, decent/good paint, no rust, pitted chrome etc, rebuilt motor gearbox and perhaps bushes/balljoints and hopefully good/new electricals. That way car is mild restored, more or less as long as mechanicals and electricals are good, body is rust free (in all corners of the car, door jams, behind rear screens wheel arches, chasis itself etc), no filler added where rust 'was' but is a solid car, with all metal, parts intact, the paint doesnt have to be perfect, as long as the bones of the vehicle are good and mechanicaly reliable, small block auto, good enough.

Have you taken all importing costs into consideration? Let's say you buy a car through Shermatt for $28k:
Purchase price:          $28,000
Broker fee:                $2,000 (Don't stress about this, Matt will negotiate a good price and is worth the money)
Inspection fee:           $1,000 (Just using that figure as a rough price as it will depend on location of car)
Transport to LA:         $1,000 (Again, this will change depending on location)
Sea freight:                $1,550 (Sydney will be different, this is what I paid to Melbourne)
Shipping insurance:     $800 (Assuming 2% of an insured value of $40k)
Clearing costs:            $1,600 (Again, this is what I paid in Melbourne)
GST:                          $3135 (10% of purchase price, transport and freight as well as insurance)

You will most likely get stung for steam cleaning and re-inspection by AQIS, this cost me about $300.
That's a total of $39,385 just to get it in the country then you have the costs of getting it on the road. You can obviously save money not using a broker and/or not having a car inspected but I sense that is not an option for you. Not trying to put a dampener on things, just want to make sure you know what you're in for. That Grabber Blue sports roof and Winter Blue Mach 1 clone mentioned on another forum may be the go. I'm sure Image Classic Cars can inspect the clone for you as it's in Victor Harbour. Contact Rocket on here if you're keen. Whatever you do, don't rush.
Best of luck.

Edit: I was assuming dollar for dollar on the exchange rate just to make it easier.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:09:42 pm by MachAttack »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 02:36:51 pm »
As i have said many times the body is most important ,not rusty or dodgy repairs ,paint and crome is easy as is motor etc .I saw some tuff mustangs over there but not good bodys so i walked .Freight should cost around 3000 in a box plus gst on car ,thats what i pay full retail on 1 car, less when more cars . but got a supper deal this time for being a good  customer. I am just shipping a 69 camaro next week i hope as i just got my import approval today and ran my shipper 10 min ago . West coast is a safer buying area but harder to find cars now so else where be careful and have a full check by someone you can trust . A car at say 25k is 25k plus 2,500 gst 3000 to ship plus odds and ends 300 . Unless you have trucking in usa ,a broker finding a car and an inspection done .So on 25k should be about 31 all up tops plus those other costs i have talked about .

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 02:44:58 pm »
G-Man

I have seen a couple For Sale around the figure your wanting to spend at both Just Mustangs & Mustangs of Melbourne around the money your wanting to spend.

Herman
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 09:16:55 am by Herman »
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline George

• Worked
  • ._.
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 03:48:14 pm »
I know when I got my dodge, it costs around 8000, imported + rego. I paid 22,000 for the dodge, it cost 28 by the time it came here, 1000 on rego. So I assume a 28k car should be 35k with rego here.

The Blue Mach 1 Clone looks like a nicer blue to me than the Grabber Blue.

As stated, I got my budget, I dont care if its imported or local. I just figured 'imported' I may get something that little bit nicer than buying locally as things locally tend to cost 10,000 more than you can get yourself.

Sent you PM Herman and thank you.

Macka, No point me travelling, it would cost more than someone like Shermatt and 2nd as stated, I am not a mechanic/panel beater so I would not even know what to look for if I did go. Me judging a car for myself is a bad idea.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:04:05 pm by G-man »

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 04:27:17 pm »
George, ok ...at least you know your budget and have an idea what you like.  Don't rush in and have a look at as many as you can and talk to as many owners as well as you can.  That way you'll get an idea on what things to look for yourself and things you may expect need fixing or replacing at some point depending on the condition of the car.  There are so many styles and colour co-ordinations its not funny.  Work out what you like and you'll have a car for a long time.   Matt is a good source for cars over there as he knows his stuff.  If you look at cars here, take someone with you to give you that independant view as there are heaps around, and heaps coming in every week.

I must say you have good taste already in what you want...   :thumb:

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 09:46:49 am »
George.

Get in contact with Shermatt. He just listed a 69 m code 428 manual on Facebook. black with what looks like red interior. Asking price is over your budget, but will be negotiable. Worth a look or Matt & Sheri will find you something else. look locally and in the US until you find one. Just budget extra $8 - 10k for US one.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2012, 11:05:25 am »
(allready posted this for ya George)

George....if you find one locally that floats ya boat...jump in it

Ive been searching "BLACK" only across the US and Ive hit these 2

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.569488576410367.146390.100000476899783&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.569469716412253.146387.100000476899783&type=3

aswell as a project 428 R code for $17k

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.569468669745691.146386.100000476899783&type=3

Ive found about another 40 69's all that are restored or awesome looking drivers that float my boat but Im not going to post them just yet as its christmas and I dont wanna get hammered with a work load as it takes some time to post em also

That candy apple red Mach1 that I sent you that Ive allready inspected (for free) should be the kind of quality your looking for...its what Im VERY VERY happy with...He just needs to be educated fatkid style on the price and theres no flights to incorperate as the inspection is allready done

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.533781123314446.138807.100000476899783&type=3

you just need to get past this colour of black other wise all these rock solid "restored" cars are going to slip on by and your gonna end up with a black car (just coz its black) that needs some work in some shape or form that would be the $$$ equivalent of Steve'O slapping a coat of paint on a restored Mach1 with NO ISSUES and calling it a day.

If you would ignore the colour and let me guide you into a better SOLID car...your not going to have any of these MOPAR problems you talk about

I found 19 fastbacks and Mach's today amongst that 40 odd, across the USA (allready have 2 clients ticked for inspections on those) that would fit your bill perfectly and WAY under your budget...there just not black (insert sad pi55ed off face here)

I reckon you should jump at that fully restored candy apple red Mach with the worked 351, get the price down, let steve'O paint it black next year and you may even have enough left over for a set of Simmons. (cause Steve will push you that way...we all know it) :)

Anyway...Merry Christmas all

Matt

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 11:12:17 am »
George.

Get in contact with Shermatt. He just listed a 69 m code 428 manual on Facebook. black with what looks like red interior. Asking price is over your budget, but will be negotiable. Worth a look or Matt & Sheri will find you something else. look locally and in the US until you find one. Just budget extra $8 - 10k for US one.

Cheers,
Frank.

Thanks Frank....I actually posted that for George and another one cause there black and didnt want to loose them among the 40 others 69/70's in an email Ive saved with about about 400 links to cars across the US that I want to post in the next few days for other clients

$40k may be a bit pricey for me considering the fantastic pics he's supplied. Only bought a nice 69 S code 3 weeks ago for $34k that is a winner winner chicken dinner over a black M code with a 428...would have to be pretty F##ken special for that price...but hey...its black!

Offline malscar

• Worked
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 12:01:41 pm »
Some very nice looking '69s there Matt. But not as nice as the one in the garage. Black, looks great, but gee they are a pain to keep spotless. Hope you and Sheri have a great xmas.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 12:50:15 pm »
Thanks Frank....I actually posted that for George and another one cause there black and didnt want to loose them among the 40 others 69/70's in an email Ive saved with about about 400 links to cars across the US that I want to post in the next few days for other clients

$40k may be a bit pricey for me considering the fantastic pics he's supplied. Only bought a nice 69 S code 3 weeks ago for $34k that is a winner winner chicken dinner over a black M code with a 428...would have to be pretty F##ken special for that price...but hey...its black!

No worries Matt.

Glad you're on the case. Didn't know George was after black. Black is nice .. but a pain to keep clean and of course you notice every slight body defect.

That M code does look nice though. Maybe needs more pics to decide the value.

Cheers,
Frank.