ProComp Heads, intake, roller rockers kit. Any good??

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: ProComp Heads, intake, roller rockers kit. Any good??  (Read 19375 times)

Offline mattstruck

• Thoroughbred
  • MOCA Vic member
ProComp Heads, intake, roller rockers kit. Any good??
« on: December 21, 2012, 10:20:05 pm »
Anyone had experience or know anything about ProComp or these kits?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-FORD-289-302-WINDSOR-CYLINDER-HEAD-TOP-END-COMBO-KIT-/310532860256?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item484d336960

Cheap easy horse power I guess but im not sure.  Don't want to put something in that's going to fail or cause me issues.

Thinking of combining it with a Thump cam kit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cake31-601-5

Later look into a 347 stoker kit for down the bottom.... later :grin:

I have a 66 289 (on the ship) :tissue:

Any advice appreciated.
Capitalisation: Its the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off the horse
and
Helping your uncle jack off the horse.

MOCV member.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Re: ProComp Heads, intake, roller rockers kit. Any good??
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 10:26:07 pm »
A quick search on here and a Google of the interweb will tell you the answer is.....no.

Such a big no that you will most likely find it cheaper and more time saving if you threw your money in the bin and run as fast as possible.

Steer clear of anything ProCrap. I read someone's sig on here earlier which says it well, "cheap isn't good and good isn't cheap".
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline mattstruck

• Thoroughbred
  • MOCA Vic member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:29:20 pm »
I fugured as much...

Comp cams Thumpr cam should be good kit though?  Its really just to impress my mates :lmao:
Capitalisation: Its the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off the horse
and

MOCV member.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 10:31:41 pm »
I haven't had a Thumper cam, but have been told that that is what their made for, making a good sound. So you should accomplish that one well  :thumb:

Offline Camaro91

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW member 302 ... since 2001
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:46:21 am »
A quick search on here and a Google of the interweb will tell you the answer is.....no.

Such a big no that you will most likely find it cheaper and more time saving if you threw your money in the bin and run as fast as possible.

Steer clear of anything ProCrap. I read someone's sig on here earlier which says it well, "cheap isn't good and good isn't cheap".

A search on here does not produce any result for Procomp.

Just send a message to Paul (LuvHev) and ask him what he thinks but, do make sure he is sitting down and he has had his happy pill before asking.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 12:53:29 am »
A search on here does not produce any result for Procomp.

You sure? I found heaps

Make sure you search the whole site, not just the forum that this thread is in which is what it defaults to if you use the search bar at the top of this page.

Offline Camaro91

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW member 302 ... since 2001
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 06:59:03 am »
Ahhh!  A bit of extra experience helps a lot.

You are right, I searched from the message I think.  Anyways, a good hint where I have learnt a little more and for the benefit of others too.

I was somewhat surprised as I seem to remember this product had been discussed extensively and (unfortunately) not always in a positive manner.

My warning still stands in relation to Paul (LuvHev) ... do not be standing too close to him  :bolt: when the product name is mentioned  :kickass:

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 07:51:23 am »
It always makes me think of this example with the MSD ignition units. Towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,18992.msg191681.html#msg191681

Offline GT350H

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 08:10:11 am »
Just send a message to Paul (LuvHev) and ask him what he thinks but, do make sure he is sitting down and he has had his happy pill before asking.
[/quote]

Please, dont het him started on ProComp ( or ProJunk as he likes to call them ). :lmao:
AKA Emberglo-66

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 10:37:09 am »
Pro comp is rubbish ,even the americans are starting to know that now ,its sold at every swap meet over there .Compcams thumper cams are ok ,good for the lumpy sound out the back and able to run without a big hi stall ,but lack a bit of HP .A friend has just fitted the biggest thumper hyd  cam  in his 460 BB ,should sound good ,but will only make around 520 HP .

Offline Blue Oval

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 11:00:20 am »
 I have seen a 347 make 550hp with Pro Comp heads but would have to agree with the other posts and steer clear of them. They are hit and miss in quality and can cost more than a quality set one you have fixed them.
Be aware the thumper cam range isn't going to give you much manifold vacuum for power brakes.
Very low vacuum can cause issues with fouling spark plugs as well. They get that lumpy idle due to large inlet and exhaust valve overlap.
I'd be inclined to build a decent 347 with a performance hyd roller cam rather than a thumper cam engine just for the idle.
It'll sound better in any case.
Just my .02 worth :-)
 1966 GT Coupe. AFR 185 heads, Hyd Roller cam.  1/4 mile 11.21 sec @123mph

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 11:18:09 am »
blue oval you are totally right, spot on .My 347 has a comp cams roller ,a very basic engine around 440 HP ,took it to the drags once went ok ran 12.3 @114 mph ,too slow off the line but not set up for drag racing with hwy gearing and a small vac sec  carby .Can get it to run 11s all day with a few mods but i am too lazy .

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 11:23:17 am »
I used a Comp Cams Nostalgia grind hydraulic cam in my current engine and loved it so much I bought the same one but a solid lifter version for my new engine......when it is running slow it has a great 60's style lumpy sound.....you can hear it here, even though it idling a bit quick it still sounds good.

1966 SHELBY GT350H
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline Blue Oval

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 12:15:33 pm »
blue oval you are totally right, spot on .My 347 has a comp cams roller ,a very basic engine around 440 HP ,took it to the drags once went ok ran 12.3 @114 mph ,too slow off the line but not set up for drag racing with hwy gearing and a small vac sec  carby .Can get it to run 11s all day with a few mods but i am too lazy .

I reckon you could run an 11 sec there with 114 mph. Presuming your weight is around 3000lb.
I'd prefer your combo to a thumper cam that is all noise and not much go :-)
If people here the lumpy idle they expect it to go.

Offline Blue Oval

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 12:16:52 pm »
I used a Comp Cams Nostalgia grind hydraulic cam in my current engine and loved it so much I bought the same one but a solid lifter version for my new engine......when it is running slow it has a great 60's style lumpy sound.....you can hear it here, even though it idling a bit quick it still sounds good.

1966 SHELBY GT350H

Sounds good from that clip  :thumb:

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 12:48:01 pm »
With low gears perfect traction ,and no other mods could run 11.5 at 114mph but 11.8 would be more like it .Its a 66 coupe so with me in it should weigh in at around 2800lbs .My 60 foot times were slack 2.1 ,need a tru track and 3.9 gears ,slicks and a 750 holley to wake it up .My 65 coupe has balls 393 stroker around 560 HP .A pro comp cam is ok ,but not much else .

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 02:04:22 pm »
A pro comp cam is ok ,but not much else .

How much really do you save though over a quality cam? I haven't looked but I guess it couldn't be more then $50 maybe? Even if it were half the price of a Comp or a Lunati or something quality, it's going to be a minimal saving, cams are not dear in the scheme of things. Really don't think that is worth the risk.

Offline Blue Oval

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 03:31:25 pm »
A quality cam is more than worth the extra dollars. Espeically in any sort of performance engine.
Cam failure or the associated components can trash a new engine.
It's really a fairly cheap engine component and I can't think why anyone would skimp here.
If you can't afford to build it right you probably shouldn't be building it at all.

Offline LEE H 69

• Worked
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 04:00:47 pm »
I've had Pro comp roller rockers in my engine,  and I'll never use  pro comp again,
after 2yrs the majority of the rollers had siezed and worn flat spots on them, and one rocker had cracked through the body,

not worth taking chances with cheap internal components.   

Offline mattstruck

• Thoroughbred
  • MOCA Vic member
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 10:15:25 am »
Thanks lads. I knew it seemed too cheap. Good things cost good money.  I should have known better :leaving: :ouch:
and

MOCV member.

Offline DUNRITE66

• Worked
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 12:16:03 pm »
All that pro comp gear is just not finished off as good as brand name stuff.  Cheap because of that.  If you have to re seat valves and cut seats for springs.  Upgrade springs and locks/guides .. Seals etc.   by time you pay to do all that properly a set of AFR's or Darts will cost less.  No guarantee they are bolt on either as I had to re seat 4/5 valves on my first set of 185 AFR's. .. Boils down to who is building your engine ....  Guy who is building my engine at moment built a 355 for a mate of his using only pro comp gear... Tool him 4 times as long to machine everything up properly to his standards.  If he was being charged accordingly then maching would have been 5/6k... Crank/rods and heads... All procomp ... Engine went into a Capri an ran 10.20.... Engine still running after 5 years and then hit that with a shot of gas and has gone 9.30's.  I asked about procomp gear with first engine but he made it clear what was involved to make it work properly. Even he was surprised it went that quick and its still together. 

Offline DUNRITE66

• Worked
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 12:18:46 pm »
.  There is a Camaro sponsored by procomp in Sydney that's  a drag car. ... Ask them if any bits on their engine are actually pro comp..????? Doubt it.

Offline rp1966

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 07:31:15 pm »
ProComp Heads are rubbish. Don't even bother. Pay a little bit more and get the edelbrock heads. You can't go wrong and they are made in America not CHINA.
/Users/robertperic/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/06:01:2007/IMGP2690.JPG

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 09:47:05 pm »
Yes, as others have suggested..  Spend that little bit more and get a decent set, then you'll have no probs further down the track.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:00:22 pm by Macka »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 08:28:14 pm »
AFR & Trickflow are what you want on a Windsor.