Bonnet pins road worthy question in Qld

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Bonnet pins road worthy question in Qld  (Read 6937 times)

Offline Blown66Mustang

• Worked
Bonnet pins road worthy question in Qld
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:03:43 pm »
Hi Guys in Qld,
I am thinking about installing a pair of stainless steel bonnet pins on my 66 Fastback restoration but I wondered if the pins being slightly above the line of the bonnet may cause problems with Qld Transport road worthy and / or police. I nhaven't drilled any holes yet so open to any experiences from fellow Mustang owners. I didn't post this in the 65-73 Tech Forum as I wanted Qld responses as each state is different. Any thoughts ?

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
Re: Bonnet pins road worthy question in Qld
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 11:03:46 pm »
Do you mean as a pedestrian hazard/safety issue? I think technically if the car didn't come installed with them you could get pinged for it as hardware like that is no longer allowed under the ADRs for safety reasons. The same would apply in any State. You'd have to be really unlucky but I suppose the potential's there.
Rick

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:21:48 pm »
no good in the ACT Flameman, guys here have been using falcon ones that sit flush and Nuts used something else again. I can try find a photo if you like.

Hows the project going along after its big trip home

Offline junior

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 01:57:29 pm »
My Mach 1 came with them standard SO I couldn't see them having a leg to stand on if they wanted to defect it.

But for your instance: I also had a set on my 65 coupe and never had a problem - also had big wheels, Wilwood slotted and cross drilled disks, low spings and a loud exhaust and NEVER got a second look from the cops.

But as mentioned - if they are having a shitty day they really can pin you for whatever they feel like.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 03:36:39 pm »
My Mach 1 came with them standard SO I couldn't see them having a leg to stand on if they wanted to defect it.

That's the difference. They came standard on your car 3 years later. Same as the XW/XY GTs here. But if they weren't standard or an option on the car at the time then they can knock it back.
Rick

Offline Blown66Mustang

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:30:31 pm »
Thanks for your feedback guys. So does that mean that every owner of a standard 65/66 Fastback who decided to convert to a Shelby GT350 or GT350H replica/clone and fitted bonnet pins could get a ticket for having bonnet pins as they were not a factory option as a C code or A code Fastback?        I guess I could always paint a spare bonnet without holes for bonnet pins just in case!  :ouch:

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 11:06:13 pm »
Good point! Well I've got bonnet pins for my f/glass bonnet on my '67 FB, first registered in NZ in 2005 & then here in QLD in 2007. No-one has commented on them, & the question had never occurred to me until you raised it.

Offline Goldy

• Stallion
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 07:59:36 am »
Could always argue that it was a dealer option in the intrests of safety,

Offline Camaro91

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW member 302 ... since 2001
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 08:41:57 am »
My personal view is they are a pain in the bum and I wonder why anyone even bothers to include them.

I had nothing but trouble with them in the '65 and when I replaced the bonnet, chucked them to the sh1t house.

I never had any problems with rego and given the age of the vehicle, and numerous arguments available to prove they were a standard add on in their day, I agree with others that you will not get into strife with constable plod or the registration guys.

Don't shoot me down for my view on chucking them, it's personal view and really, every one of our vehicles is a reflection of our own personal tastes.  If you want them, just do it ... with advice from the members on the best way of doing it. 

If you are ever told to remove them, the pins can always be removed whilst the holes stay to satisfy the officialdom.  After they are satisfied, your personal choice might once again come to the fore and the pins get reinstalled.

Offline Blown66Mustang

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 12:59:41 pm »
All good points for me to consider, thanks everyone  :thumb: